Conquer Club

Spaceness Map(v0.9 BETA, page 15) [vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby spiesr on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:02 pm

Ness 0 has a space while the others don't. Fix This
User avatar
Captain spiesr
 
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) General Contribution (3)

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm

My eyes, my eyes, my eyes !!!

The new title effect has to go. I like the thickness of the lettering. The shadows across the light background are just irritating to my eyes. Not sure what to recommend.

The biggest thing that you need to do - if you've been reading the "Problem" or "Spread the Foundry News" or "New Rule" threads - is to list out the things you have done in your next revision (things you incorporated, things you decided against, and things you are still working on).

Everything else looks good. I guess if you aren't going to move the planet Praetos - at least move the label for Skwinnt up a couple of pixels away from the Planet name. I like what you did with the planet names.

I think I mentioned this a while back, but you need to work on your attack lines. They need to consistently point either the army circle or the territory label - you switch back and forth between army circle, territory label, and just some position at the edge of the planet. I realize that this is going to be a real pain, especially since in some cases you need to rearrange the territory label and the army circle (i.e. move Kipah above the army circle - actually, I'll list out all the ones you need to change).

If you go from terr name to terr name (Switch terr name with army circle or move terr name):

Ness3 - switch
Erch - move label below army circle
Satt - move army circle to the right and down so terr label is level with Eef terr label
Urnn - move label below army circle
Ness2 - move attack lines to terr name
Omega - switch
Pi - move label to left of army circle
Kipah - switch
Yyz - move army circle away from internal borders (a couple of pixels).
It - move army circle down and switch locations of terr label and targeting sight (move them closer too)
Ness4 - adjust attack path
Ness0 - move entire thing up 2 or 3 pixels (not too much)
The Buckle - move label right 2 or 3 pixels and down about 6 or 7 pixels. Adjust attack lines accordingly
Prax - move entire planet up 3 or 4 pixels so you can move Phlaks army circle and terr label slightly away from internal borders
Krax - move army circle right 1 or 2 pixels and up 2 or 3 pixels
Ness5 - move entire thing down 3 or 4 pixels


If you want to lessen the busy look of the attack lines, maybe make them dashed lines?


Looks like you did a decent job centering the bombardment targeting sights. But, from what I can tell your circles are about the same size as your army circles - therefore the diameter is an even number of pixels. Thus, a 1 pixel line can't properly divide them in half. You need to resize these to be an odd diameter length. I know - that's a LOT of extra work. I could really only tell because sight #1 is more off than the others (mainly because the #1 is shifted too far to the left).

Staying with the bombardment targeting sights, you need to be consistent in their placement. Either to the right of the terr label or somewhere closer to the army circle. The one on Shinzon is just too busy there - whilst I realize you may have game play reasons for having it there, it is much easier to graphically represent on Glayr or Deryer.


I realize this is a HUGE post and a LOT of work. But, you're almost there - this should get you so much closer to the finish line.
Image
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
User avatar
Sergeant Aerial Attack
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Generation One: The Clan
Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 pm

What if I instead changed the army circles for the bombardment territories in a way that kept them easy to read the numbers from, but still clearly indicated their special purpose?
Also, I want to thank you for your detailed comments, it's good to know what specifically needs to be done from a more objective point of view than my own. :)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Herakilla on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:39 pm

why dont you update your sig! i think this looks a lot better than the one you have there
Come join us in Live Chat!
User avatar
Lieutenant Herakilla
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Wandering the world, spreading Conquerism
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:45 pm

bloknayrb wrote:What if I instead changed the army circles for the bombardment territories in a way that kept them easy to read the numbers from, but still clearly indicated their special purpose?
Also, I want to thank you for your detailed comments, it's good to know what specifically needs to be done from a more objective point of view than my own. :)

Interesting idea, but seeing as how you're going to have army numbers in there, how would you indicate WHICH Ness you could bombard - remember you can't overlap numbers or even crowd too much.

Speaking of targeting sights overlapping army circles - I believe that Khlax and Mast are really going to be crowded by 3 digit armies and possibly overrun by 4 digit ones. As for Shinzon, that's just a mess as 3 digit armies are guaranteed to overrun. Should have seen that earlier.

I'm glad you appreciate my feedback. Even if it is kind of fine-tooth comb harsh. I just hadn't checked in on it for several days (wasn't here Sat 01:00 to Sun 22:30).
Image
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
User avatar
Sergeant Aerial Attack
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Generation One: The Clan
Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 am

Well I could use color coding for the bombard overlays (although would that be too difficult for color blind people?)
As for overlap problems... I'm really not sure what to do about that... Although you have to admit that most games that manage to have 4 digit armies on them probably aren't really being taken so seriously.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Ninjastar13 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:09 am

I don't think color coding is really the way to go. And yes it will be very difficult for colorblind/confused people. if there was a way to get bob to recognize this then hell yeah but otherwise stay away from color coding.......please. :D
User avatar
Cadet Ninjastar13
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 am
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:35 am

I noticed that the planet names have little more colour now... maybe highlit this a little more.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby bloknayrb on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Aerial Attack wrote:My eyes, my eyes, my eyes !!!

The new title effect has to go. I like the thickness of the lettering. The shadows across the light background are just irritating to my eyes. Not sure what to recommend.

The biggest thing that you need to do - if you've been reading the "Problem" or "Spread the Foundry News" or "New Rule" threads - is to list out the things you have done in your next revision (things you incorporated, things you decided against, and things you are still working on).

Everything else looks good. I guess if you aren't going to move the planet Praetos - at least move the label for Skwinnt up a couple of pixels away from the Planet name. I like what you did with the planet names.

I think I mentioned this a while back, but you need to work on your attack lines. They need to consistently point either the army circle or the territory label - you switch back and forth between army circle, territory label, and just some position at the edge of the planet. I realize that this is going to be a real pain, especially since in some cases you need to rearrange the territory label and the army circle (i.e. move Kipah above the army circle - actually, I'll list out all the ones you need to change).

If you go from terr name to terr name (Switch terr name with army circle or move terr name):

Ness3 - switch
Erch - move label below army circle
Satt - move army circle to the right and down so terr label is level with Eef terr label
Urnn - move label below army circle
Ness2 - move attack lines to terr name
Omega - switch
Pi - move label to left of army circle
Kipah - switch
Yyz - move army circle away from internal borders (a couple of pixels).
It - move army circle down and switch locations of terr label and targeting sight (move them closer too)
Ness4 - adjust attack path
Ness0 - move entire thing up 2 or 3 pixels (not too much)
The Buckle - move label right 2 or 3 pixels and down about 6 or 7 pixels. Adjust attack lines accordingly
Prax - move entire planet up 3 or 4 pixels so you can move Phlaks army circle and terr label slightly away from internal borders
Krax - move army circle right 1 or 2 pixels and up 2 or 3 pixels
Ness5 - move entire thing down 3 or 4 pixels


If you want to lessen the busy look of the attack lines, maybe make them dashed lines?


Looks like you did a decent job centering the bombardment targeting sights. But, from what I can tell your circles are about the same size as your army circles - therefore the diameter is an even number of pixels. Thus, a 1 pixel line can't properly divide them in half. You need to resize these to be an odd diameter length. I know - that's a LOT of extra work. I could really only tell because sight #1 is more off than the others (mainly because the #1 is shifted too far to the left).

Staying with the bombardment targeting sights, you need to be consistent in their placement. Either to the right of the terr label or somewhere closer to the army circle. The one on Shinzon is just too busy there - whilst I realize you may have game play reasons for having it there, it is much easier to graphically represent on Glayr or Deryer.


I realize this is a HUGE post and a LOT of work. But, you're almost there - this should get you so much closer to the finish line.

OK, I've addressed all of these issues, as well as the target issue, both the symmetry and the space problem, they are now by the Ness's instead.
Image
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Ninjastar13 wrote:if there was a way to get bob to recognize this then hell yeah


Have you been living under a rock?

Anyways - relying on BOB to aid readability isn't an option.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Ninjastar13 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Meaning where have i been?
I trust bloknayrb to handle part of the map developement like, i assume, he trusts me to handle the xml coding. If i have any input i tell him myself, but last post i was unable to tell him personally for wtvr reason so i posted it on the forum. I hope that explains where i have been. And thats too bad about bob, im colorconfused and even with bob sometmes its hard to tell armies apart and on every map i have trouble distinguishing the color coded continents in the legend so i am against color coding in general , unless its done welll, with vibrants bright and obviously contrasting colors for continents.
User avatar
Cadet Ninjastar13
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 am
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:00 pm

Ninjastar13 wrote:Meaning where have i been?
I trust bloknayrb to handle part of the map developement like, i assume, he trusts me to handle the xml coding. If i have any input i tell him myself, but last post i was unable to tell him personally for wtvr reason so i posted it on the forum. I hope that explains where i have been. And thats too bad about bob, im colorconfused and even with bob sometmes its hard to tell armies apart and on every map i have trouble distinguishing the color coded continents in the legend so i am against color coding in general , unless its done welll, with vibrants bright and obviously contrasting colors for continents.


I mean that BOB can tell exactly this information... get the latest version from the link in my signature...

However the guidelines for maps state that we should make the map readable without BOB...

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 am

Ninjastar13 wrote:Meaning where have i been?
I trust bloknayrb to handle part of the map developement like, i assume, he trusts me to handle the xml coding. If i have any input i tell him myself, but last post i was unable to tell him personally for wtvr reason so i posted it on the forum. I hope that explains where i have been. And thats too bad about bob, im colorconfused and even with bob sometmes its hard to tell armies apart and on every map i have trouble distinguishing the color coded continents in the legend so i am against color coding in general , unless its done welll, with vibrants bright and obviously contrasting colors for continents.


I agre VERY srongly with what your saying about the colours... I'm curently playing on the Tamriel map....... MY GOOOOODNEEESSSSSSS

HOW AM I SUPOSED TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT'S WHAT!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH ](*,)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby bloknayrb on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Ok, but there aren't any color-coded parts to this map... can we stay on topic?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Ninjastar13 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:55 pm

yamahafazer wrote:
Ninjastar13 wrote:Meaning where have i been?
I trust bloknayrb to handle part of the map developement like, i assume, he trusts me to handle the xml coding. If i have any input i tell him myself, but last post i was unable to tell him personally for wtvr reason so i posted it on the forum. I hope that explains where i have been. And thats too bad about bob, im colorconfused and even with bob sometmes its hard to tell armies apart and on every map i have trouble distinguishing the color coded continents in the legend so i am against color coding in general , unless its done welll, with vibrants bright and obviously contrasting colors for continents.


I agre VERY srongly with what your saying about the colours... I'm curently playing on the Tamriel map....... MY GOOOOODNEEESSSSSSS

HOW AM I SUPOSED TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT'S WHAT!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH ](*,)

I also just finished a game on that ma, and oh my god it is such a disadvantage, ilove paying risjk on this site, but sometimes it just gets so frustating not being able to tell aart the continents. I cannot tell you the number of times i have forted my guys wrong because the continents blend togethere. And i really hate the middle east map.[/i]
User avatar
Cadet Ninjastar13
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 am
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm

So... Final forge anyone? ;)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:21 am

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...... YES......... eeeeem what else to say.... uuuuuuuummmmmm.... YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!! :D
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby bloknayrb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:34 am

Rofl, anyone with more pull want to second that motion?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 am

Can I second myself??? :D
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby bloknayrb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:34 am

Well do you have more authority here than you do?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:34 am

bloknayrb wrote:Well do you have more authority here than you do?
:lol:

uuuuummmm... probably not... :(
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby mibi on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07 pm

bloknayrb wrote:So... Final forge anyone? ;)


patience,

grasshopper.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby bloknayrb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:51 pm

XD
All right, all right...
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby KorgtheDestroyer on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:45 pm

i'll second that =D> awesome job bloknayrb :wink:
Cadet KorgtheDestroyer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users