Spaceness Map(v0.9 BETA, page 15) [vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Ninjastar13 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:26 pm

Quick Question for anyone:
When proggramming the xml for a map do i have to restate the borders? for instance in the above mape if a say for tow that stubb is a border do i have to repeat it for stubb and say tow is a border?
Any help wuld be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Cook Ninjastar13

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Yes.

If you listed tow as a border for stubb but not the other way around then Tow could attack (or fortify to) stubb but stubb could not attack (or fortify to) tow.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Ninjastar13 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:40 pm

Thank you very much!
Thats Very anooying but thank you. :lol:
Cook Ninjastar13

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:54 pm

[XML Comment]
Sweet. That's how 1-way borders are established. I bet the first time someone made one was through an accidental omission *lol*
[/XML Comment]

Back to the topic at hand. The new update looks pretty decent. Those flying jellyfish with corkscrew tails might actually need to be bigger (to hold the army numbers [circles?]).

With the darkness of space, the planets need just a little brightening - mainly so people can see the features. I realize we are on the dark side of this particular solar system (pretend it's a two star system?).

I would suggest a different color for the terr borders on the rings (since they overlap the planetary terr borders).

The planetary terr borders that are on the sunny side of their planets need to be made crisper and more defined (they fade too much).

It takes a very very close look at the legend to realize that Pheris is the planet on the bottom left and Omicron the upper right. This could definitely stand some sharpening up.

The attack path between Eef and Satt needs to be made more distinguishable - right now it's too close to the border of Satt and Urnn. Same with Mu/Ness2.

Here are links to WidowMaker's Continent Bonus spreadsheet and Cairnswk's Continent Bonus Spreadsheet

Both in the Map Making Tools (stickied at the top of the Map Foundry forum) thread. Not sure if Coleman uses one of these or if he has his own.

39 terrs isn't exactly small. It's pretty much medium. A lot of the maps being made are large (60+ terrs) or mega (90+) terrs.

Excellent work so far.
Last edited by Aerial Attack on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:31 am

Ok, so I've made some fixes, clarified some bits. I can't make the dark sides lighter because I already flattened the PSD's, but even if I hadn't, I'm kind of a stickler for realism, and when I tried it out with lighter planetary shadows I didn't like the result at all. The reason the shapenesses are imbalanced in terms of bonuses is because each one is a border territory, and I feel that being able to hold all of them would be extremely difficult. Let me know if you see anything else that needs alteration:

EDIT: Now the shapenesses work very differently; only the buckle can attack the shapeness next to it, though all shapenesses can attack one another, their attacks on planets are one-way. However, each planet can bombard a shapeness near one other planet. I think that this can produce some interesting gameplay dynamics, especially in team games, and can cause interesting alliances in standard games. What do you all think?

Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby cena-rules on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:03 am

I like that make.

I would maybe make the planets stand out a bit
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:35 am

Stand out how?

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby cena-rules on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:49 am

well just so you can see them against the background
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:19 am

Oh, I did it this way for realism, I hate the way it looks when there's a lightsource but no shadows.

Postby unriggable on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:39 pm

bloknayrb wrote:Image

Issues, gameplay anyways.

The Halo5 rings look aweful the way they stack. I suggest you make them like layers going outwards instead of split into fours. (how it is now) Either that or get rid of them as territories since in RL it wouldn't be that way.

I don't think mast should be able to bombard ness5.

Same goes for It and Ness 1, and Sigma.

Establish 1 way borders more, unclear ATM.

No need to say that the buckle offers no bonus. Clear enough.

Erch (the name) should be next to the army circle.

All in all, great map. Just a few things I don't like about it.
Cook unriggable

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby bloknayrb on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Well actually the rings are only two territories... you really think I should just get rid of them?

I made the bombardment the way it is specifically so it encourages different stuff, I don't want players to be able to take the sapenesses from the planets, rather only from the buckle... Does that make sense?

Everything else you said is a good point, I'll make sure to take care of that stuff, thanks.

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Unfortunatly as much as i se the realsim in this map, there is going to need to be some sacrifised.

1. The sun is far to harmfully on the eyes, i would suggest removing it altogether but if you want to keep id definetly suggest moving it to one of te corners so that its not so in your face.

2. I think your boarders could be better coloured, im thinking black with an outer glow of cream of white to try and keep the feel your going for.

3. The terr names seem kind of hard hitting compared to the softness this map is ceating. im not sure at te moment how to combat this thought.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:40 pm

the sun is still too bright, try to dim the color to a darker yellow
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby jako on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:38 pm

perhaps changing from a yellow star to maybe a blue dwarf? the blue wont be as hard hitting to the eyes and the blue is a very passive colour. i believe that maybe solve ur brightness problem as well as allow u to keep ur sun where it is right now, cause i do like its positioning, just not so bright.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby unriggable on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:18 pm

jako wrote:perhaps changing from a yellow star to maybe a blue dwarf? the blue wont be as hard hitting to the eyes and the blue is a very passive colour. i believe that maybe solve ur brightness problem as well as allow u to keep ur sun where it is right now, cause i do like its positioning, just not so bright.

I don't think there is such a thing as a blue dwarf. Only white dwarves, neutron stars, those things (try a neutron star actually).
Cook unriggable

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas