Conquer Club

Indian Subcontinent

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you like the font of the title? (see page 2, bottom image)

Total votes : 0

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:46 am

mightyal wrote:I'd forgotten about all countries in The Troubled North being able to attack each other. That's a great idea; you should have a symbol (suicide bomber IMO) on each country to emphasize that and state on the legend what the symbol means.

Was thinking about using something like this in the key, but its too small and im pretty sure its copy-writed.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby mightyal on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:59 am

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Location: Banging the hag whilst Owl is busy banging hendy's mum

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:15 am

I find appeal to this map.. attractiveness. no. The first one was best but it seems to get worse each update..
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby mightyal on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:39 am

I agree that the original version looked best. The rivers are really ugly at the moment. Tamriel has nice rivers (the water texture is good too). I think the shadows really help, as does the narrowing as the rivers near their source.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Location: Banging the hag whilst Owl is busy banging hendy's mum

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:43 am

nah his latest update has good rivers.. very north america esque.. although I maintain that for aesthetic things you get photoshop.. alot more options.. drawing borders gimp is a must.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby happysadfun on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:23 pm

you could take away some of burma. because not all of it's subcontinental, and since it's a region map and not a country map, you don't have to be totally accurate. it would even work if you just made it a view, like this view:
http://www.meteotest.ch/img/am/gh_indiansubcont.png
Last edited by happysadfun on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:38 am

I think ill keep burma as is.

To Happysadfun: Could u plz edit ur picture out, it being so large makes it so annoying to read any other posts.

U sure reverend_kyle, i tried using photoshop (albeit only for 5 minutes without reading the instructions) nd found it had pretty much the same things as GIMP.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:I think ill keep burma as is.

To Happysadfun: Could u plz edit ur picture out, it being so large makes it so annoying to read any other posts.

U sure reverend_kyle, i tried using photoshop (albeit only for 5 minutes without reading the instructions) nd found it had pretty much the same things as GIMP.

have you tried layer effects? maybe its because I know photoshop like the back of my hand but drop shadow bevel and emboss all much improved on photoshop.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby happysadfun on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Inkscape has good transparency and good layers. That's all that's good about it. My computer can't install GIMP, eventho it's w2000. So I'm currently using inkscape. it sucks.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby AndrewLC on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:Image

Pick a font. Used happysadfun's mountains, thanks.

It needs colour.
Sexy party

Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Cook AndrewLC

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 am

AndrewLC wrote:It needs colour.
I know, wanted to have fonts before i put in the colour. :lol:
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:52 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
AndrewLC wrote:It needs colour.
I know, wanted to have fonts before i put in the colour. :lol:

use photoshop and drop shadow. promise it does wonders.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Himachal Pradesh Should be in india,

Postby B-Psych101 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Himachal Pradesh Should be in india, Jammu and kashmir to, although the dispute is still alive, I probably missed some. I'd play it for sure
Cook B-Psych101

Postby DesalationReborn on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:49 am

Just so you know, Aksi Chin is part of and administered by China-- India only makes a marginal claim to it.
Captain DesalationReborn

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 am

DesalationReborn wrote:Just so you know, Aksi Chin is part of and administered by China-- India only makes a marginal claim to it.
Thats why its in the Troubled North, not India.

Work on this map might b slow, trying to figure out how to use photoshop and busy in rl.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Names

Postby pittman on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 am

Hey Gavin, that looks good to me.

Instead of using South India, you could simply call it Dakshin. West could be Paschim, and East could be Purab. North is Uttar.

I think Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh really come under South. Chattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, are usually considered west. You could club Kashmir with the remaining northern states or add Uttaranchal to the North (which it actually is). You have the option to club Pakistan and Afghanistan. The Eastern states could be clubbed with Burma and Bangladesh if you need to reduce continents.

Don't forget to put in the Himalayan range between the eastern states and Nepal. After all that's the highest mountain range in the world! The Siachen mountain ranges come between Kashmir and Pakistan, which actually is the highest battlefield in the world!

This would make the whole thing a very convincing and credible experience!

All the best.
Major pittman

Names

Postby pittman on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:46 am

One more thing, for all those wondering what "pradesh" means. It means "state." For example Uttar Pradesh means Northern State, although it is a proper noun. Similarly Madhya is "central."

For those who are wondering why this does not look like India. Well this is the Indian subcontinent, not the country of India. This is what India looked like a few centuries ago before it got all split up.

I realise later that you had added in the mountain ranges in the latter maps. Cool.

Ciao :D
Major pittman

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 am

U seem very knowledgable on the region pittman, do u wish to take over the map? i could send u the files. I sort of abandoned this map after the indian presidencies was thought up of, that map looks soo much better than mine, but it seems the cartographer gave up on the map.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:54 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:U seem very knowledgable on the region pittman, do u wish to take over the map?

he lives there.

Cadet happysadfun

Not my area

Postby pittman on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:45 am

Yup, that's right, I live here. It's my country.

But I don't really think I can take over from you. This isn't really my area of expertise. We can collaborate though if that will helpful.

8)
Major pittman

Indian Prsidencies

Postby pittman on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:57 am

I checked out the Indian presidencies map. It looks nice but is set in a different time frame and the spellings are atrocious.

I think yours is much more authentic and that goes for mountain ranges etc.
Major pittman

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas