Conquer Club

Famine V.19.3 pg1+35 [I] [Reworking]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue, vacation, or abandon?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Total votes : 0

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:33 pm

it is in the right way, but i see that bray and utin are in differnt text then the others.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Unit_2 wrote:it is in the right way, but i see that bray and utin are in differnt text then the others.

actually about that, for most the words i bolded it, but those 2 i forgot.

gimil wrote:Still very similar, but a step in the right direction. But why do all terrs have a name and a number?

famine, which i will probably get rid of cause right now its to much of a hassle

Sir. Ricco wrote:Take a look at the Grande Canyon for ideas

yea im doing that right now, but i have to take a break for lunch.
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:24 pm

wow that canyon looks bad :shock:

edit: whoops went a little off the map for the sand
Corporal bryguy

Postby Sir. Ricco on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Its getting there. The canyon looks like a tree branch. :lol:

Try making it not have so many branch points.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:Its getting there. The canyon looks like a tree branch. :lol:

Try making it not have so many branch points.

ok, and yea i agree about the tree branch :lol: ill take some off, and add some bridges across
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 pm

or maybe if the canyon doesnt work out, a big wall with a pass called scorpion pass
Corporal bryguy

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:29 pm

i'd get hid of the territorys that go acrossed the canyon, it looks bad :?
Corporal Unit_2

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Unit_2 wrote:i'd get hid of the territorys that go acrossed the canyon, it looks bad :?

u mean the bridges?
Corporal bryguy

Postby Sir. Ricco on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm

I would take out all the branchs man. It doesn't look like a real canyon.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 pm

no, where the red circles are:

Corporal Unit_2

Postby Sir. Ricco on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 pm

This is what I am talking about:
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:This is what I am talking about:

ok thats doable
Corporal bryguy

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:12 pm

its looking better. at the start i was like "whoa, feudal war 2?" lol, but now you're making it your own. nice work so far
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:18 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:its looking better. at the start i was like "whoa, feudal war 2?" lol, but now you're making it your own. nice work so far

thanks dude
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:04 pm

ok i have a problem, cause i dont know which way to do it, so decide

A) Water through desert:

B) Canyon through desert:

C) Wall dividing desert from grass

with empty sand territory where the wall is broken being scorpion pass, which has a neutral respawn (if u take it then start of next turn u lose it to neutral

edit: whoops something went wrong in V.C, and i made an updated V.B but to lazy to put up
Corporal bryguy

Postby zimmah on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:31 pm

i vote C for the following reasons:

1) the one with the river is silly, cuz an oase is right next to a river, that's plain unnatural :roll: while the one with the canyon looks like shit really and i think too many bridges won't do the map any good anyways, especially when it appairs like you just place them at random places which will make the map seem imbalanced

2) the wall is the most creative, and looks the most natural, and it adds something to the map

tho i still think a bit of balancing is required, some places are close to a dock while others are very much 'retracted' and therefore much easier to defend, but much harder to advance from your 'hide-out' i feel there should be some kind of connection between the dessert and the 'soutern-island' (maybe a trade-route? markets that connect to each other? maybe even bandits that can interupt the troude route at 1 or 2 points? and maybe give a bonus there? just to throw in some idea's)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:46 pm

B or C make the most sense, i think C would work the best for game-play.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby bryguy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:00 am

ok so so far its c, which if c is chosen overall then this will be my to-do list

TO-DO
  • Add more ports to the southern island
  • figure out away to connect the desert to the southern island, and maybe put a gate in the wall so that there are 2 ways through the wall
  • Put gameplay in the big TO-DO box
Corporal bryguy

Postby zimmah on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:58 am

just some idea's to balance out the map a bit, maybe you will like them, if you have any questions just ask them.

1) add a (trading) port on either Gaep or marso and make a bridge connection between them.

2) add a nomad camp above the aosis at franter, and make a wall around it, so you can only acces the nomads from the aosis (they can hide very good)

3) add another trading port at Lofam

4) make the trading ports connect to each other (and maybe to all other ports as well, or all other ports except the fishing dock) make the nomad camp connect to the trading port at Lafom (via a trade route on the map)

5) make the river float trough Feont, Tesas, Frim(Fram) and Lofam, and play a bit with the borders of those countries, connect a bridge at a place so that Trinity Castle has 2 possible ways in like most of the other castles, and it's exactly 6 steps away from Lofam (this is possibly the hardest part, but it's needed otherwise the trinity castle would be overpowered

6) move the island of Cardoce Castle a bit to the south, to create some room for step 7

7) make the territory of Trando a bit bigger and split it into 2 continents to get an extra border

8 ) add a siege instrument on Baylra and Reyla, one-way attacking into the wall, maybe have a -5 army bonus to the siege units as well, to make them a bit less powerfull (they need repair anyways) or maybe just make the famine cost on the siege units very high (except maybe if you control a lumber camp and a forest as well)

9) make the gate opening border neba as well (but it has to be 1 territory still, this to make it more easy to defend the castles from this way, to balance out the siege part a bit, otherwise the castles would be too hard to defend)

10) if you control nomad camp and both trading docks, and any famine resource on both sides of the map, maybe give an army bonus

i hope you like those suggestions, i put a lot of thinking-effort in it
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 am

those are really good suggestions, but i have a few questions

for 7. where did i put Trando? or did u mean Thrando?
for 8. could u explain that a bit better??
for 10. how about something like "feed the nomads and they will help u" or something like that??

and as i said at the beginning of this post, really good suggestions
Corporal bryguy

Postby zimmah on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm

bryguy wrote:those are really good suggestions, but i have a few questions

for 7. where did i put Trando? or did u mean Thrando?

yes i ment Thrando

for 8. could u explain that a bit better??
by siege units i mean catapults, storm rams, or any type of siege mechanics that could possibly breach through or bypass a wall (storm towers, ladders, you name it) thus, genererating a way inside the wall, making the desert a bit more vurnable to outside attacks, still it's needs to be 'one-way attacking' and not bombarding (or maybe bombard from 'Bayrla' and 'Reyla' and one-way attack from 'Thrando' and 'Orto' in any case it's to get rid of the 'one possible way in' still there would be that 1 way out, but since it borders 3 territories (it only borders 'Sasn and Ecsel now but i suggest bordering 'Neba' as well) tho now i think about it, might be better to split the 'scorpions pass' in 2 territories also, the outer one (bordering 'Sasn, Ecsel, Neba. And 'Inner Scorpion Pass') having a negative army bonus (like you stated somewhere else in this topic) and the upper one (bordering: 'Outer Scorpion pass', 'Rocna', 'Bena' and 'Lam') without any bonus or negative bonus, this is for balance issues, think of it what will happen if one controls the desert and has about 7 possible ways in, because you can't hold the one territory protecting you from the outside, because of the negative bonus, and 3 more ways (2 siege ways and the nomad way) in.

because the siege units off course need repairs (and because otherwise they might become too powerfull weapons) they might have a (quite big) negative army bonus on them, or a high famine level, or the need to be repaired with would (about the same as your famine system but the only way to solve it is getting wood, instead of fruit or food, obviosly you ain't gunna repair a catapult with and apple, or are you ? :lol:

i hope i explained well enough, if you have any specific questions or comments on this, i'd love to hear it.

off course they are still just suggestions, but i'd love to help you make this map as balanced and fun to play as it can get, i know you put a lot off effort in it and i will be gld to help you with it anywhere i can

for 10. how about something like "feed the nomads and they will help u" or something like that?? off course, the point of the nomads in the first place (the #1 reason i added them as a suggestion that is) was connection the desert with the 'soutern islands' as i call them, but off course you can add more to it, like trading or feeding them, the reason why i made the camp 'fortified' (and the only way in or out would be the oasis, cuz that's the most likely spot to find nomads, i mean how the hell are you going to find nomads in the sand while the wind blows away their footprints like all the time? and nomads are constantly on the move anyways) is to not make the desert TOO vurnable to outside attacks (if there is a way in by connecting a dock or a market or any other kind of 'trade route' just above the oase without having any form of unpassable, you'll leave 30% of the territories inside the desert open to attack, making it way to hard to defend, that's why i suggested making it more or less fortified, but i think that's not the point, just a bit of explanation) you can off course give an army bonus for 'feeding' them or 'trading' with them or whatever you like, will add a nice positive twist to the game, and it will not effect the balance in any way, while the nomad camp, trading docks and food are actually pretty much scattered all over the map, (if the conditions for 'feeding the nomads' would be anything like: "holding 1 resource of choice, a (trading) dock and the nomads camp would give you a bonus of X armies a turn") since the resources are all over the place, the nomad camp is in the north, and the trading docks are south and centre of the map, it will balance itself out pretty well i guess

and as i said at the beginning of this post, really good suggestions

thank you
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:35 am

bryguy wrote:for 8. could u explain that a bit better??
by siege units i mean catapults, storm rams, or any type of siege mechanics that could possibly breach through or bypass a wall (storm towers, ladders, you name it) thus, genererating a way inside the wall, making the desert a bit more vurnable to outside attacks, still it's needs to be 'one-way attacking' and not bombarding (or maybe bombard from 'Bayrla' and 'Reyla' and one-way attack from 'Thrando' and 'Orto' in any case it's to get rid of the 'one possible way in' still there would be that 1 way out, but since it borders 3 territories (it only borders 'Sasn and Ecsel now but i suggest bordering 'Neba' as well) tho now i think about it, might be better to split the 'scorpions pass' in 2 territories also, the outer one (bordering 'Sasn, Ecsel, Neba. And 'Inner Scorpion Pass') having a negative army bonus (like you stated somewhere else in this topic) and the upper one (bordering: 'Outer Scorpion pass', 'Rocna', 'Bena' and 'Lam') without any bonus or negative bonus, this is for balance issues, think of it what will happen if one controls the desert and has about 7 possible ways in, because you can't hold the one territory protecting you from the outside, because of the negative bonus, and 3 more ways (2 siege ways and the nomad way) in.

because the siege units off course need repairs (and because otherwise they might become too powerfull weapons) they might have a (quite big) negative army bonus on them, or a high famine level, or the need to be repaired with would (about the same as your famine system but the only way to solve it is getting wood, instead of fruit or food, obviosly you ain't gunna repair a catapult with and apple, or are you ? :lol:
nah, there gonna fix it with grapes and fire the apples at the wall :lol:

i hope i explained well enough, if you have any specific questions or comments on this, i'd love to hear it.
no thats very explanatory now, ty :) , comments ill put in later

off course they are still just suggestions, but i'd love to help you make this map as balanced and fun to play as it can get, i know you put a lot off effort in it and i will be gld to help you with it anywhere i can

Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:56 am

gonna be a while until the next update, cause my drawing program crashed and wont come up :evil:
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:32 am

question, should i leave the resources as they are with famine and all, or scratch famine and the current resources and replace them with better resources? like a forest and lumber yard to stop the decay on the grass side of the wall where they have the siege instruments
Corporal bryguy

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas