Famine V.19.3 pg1+35 [I] [Reworking]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue, vacation, or abandon?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Continue
24
73%
Vacation
0
No votes
Abandon
6
18%
Take a break and make another map then continue with this one.
3
9%
 
Total votes : 33

Postby mibi on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:21 am

so is this the 'made in china' version of Feudal Wars?

please stop.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:28 am

its not a made in china version
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:32 am

and also plz note that when i had been starting to work on this map for the first time, i had no clue there was a feudal wars map being made. I only found out about it when i told DiM and gimil about it in a game i was doing against them
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby a-person1192 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 pm

bryguy wrote:ok nvm, i think im gonna have to keep the numbers, cause it helps for how much famine hits where
Put in the names and keep the numbers in the corner of the territory.
Image
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
User avatar
Cook a-person1192
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: It's very dark and I hear laughter...

Postby Herakilla on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:47 pm

bryguy wrote:and also plz note that when i had been starting to work on this map for the first time, i had no clue there was a feudal wars map being made. I only found out about it when i told DiM and gimil about it in a game i was doing against them


i have one thing to say about that!

BULL!
Come join us in Live Chat!
User avatar
Lieutenant Herakilla
 
Posts: 4317
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Wandering the world, spreading Conquerism
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Herakilla wrote:
bryguy wrote:and also plz note that when i had been starting to work on this map for the first time, i had no clue there was a feudal wars map being made. I only found out about it when i told DiM and gimil about it in a game i was doing against them


i have one thing to say about that!

BULL!


its not bull, check this game: http://conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1434606

read what we said
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:00 pm

ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm

bryguy wrote:ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT


instead of arguing here better do that next update and show people that this map has potential.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 pm

DiM wrote:
bryguy wrote:ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT


instead of arguing here better do that next update and show people that this map has potential.


yea im right now reducing the size of the numbers, adding names, and anything else i can think of
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 pm

oh and for the names, im having to just make up names
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Image
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:07 pm

I'd like the Fishing Dock to have some type of graphic with it. All the other ones have one. And, I'm not talking about the dock. Other non-resource places have a dock.


Famine is not explained well enough. People aren't going to know what that means. Something like that has to be spelled out a bit more.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby Coleman on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm

note: this poll was concluded before a real draft was provided so the results make sense, nobody knew what was going on. Could benefit a retake.

Do u like this idea??
    Yes - 25% [ 4 ]
    No - 75% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16
User avatar
Sergeant Coleman
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Midwest
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am

edbeard wrote:I'd like the Fishing Dock to have some type of graphic with it. All the other ones have one. And, I'm not talking about the dock. Other non-resource places have a dock.


ok yea, i thought about that yesterday, but didnt have time to add anything


edbeard wrote:Famine is not explained well enough. People aren't going to know what that means. Something like that has to be spelled out a bit more.


ok, what do u suggest?? something like that the larger the territory number, the more famine affects it?
Last edited by bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am

It has to be made so that a person can completely understand what is going to happen to their troops at the beginning of a turn, without them having to read the accompanying forum thread :P. "Beware of famine" is not enough of an explanation. Perhaps "Famine affects the lands, each territory will lose x armies (depending on size? not sure how this is working) unless a nearby resource is held...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:30 am
Location: Generation One
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:37 am

also. how far away can a resource be to fix famine? do you just have to hold one resource, and no famine affects you? that's not logical, that pears will stop you losing armies in Moor, or whatever.

Also perhaps colour code for severity of famine???
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:30 am
Location: Generation One
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:04 am

Tieryn wrote:also. how far away can a resource be to fix famine? do you just have to hold one resource, and no famine affects you? that's not logical, that pears will stop you losing armies in Moor, or whatever.


hmm, thats true, how about something like that 1 resource will counter famine 3-6, and 2 will counter famine 7-10, and 3 will counter famine 11?

Tieryn wrote:Also perhaps colour code for severity of famine???


hmm, thats a good idea, but could u explain a little more?
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 am

Tieryn wrote:It has to be made so that a person can completely understand what is going to happen to their troops at the beginning of a turn, without them having to read the accompanying forum thread :P. "Beware of famine" is not enough of an explanation. Perhaps "Famine affects the lands, each territory will lose x armies (depending on size? not sure how this is working) unless a nearby resource is held...



oh ok, how about "Famine affects the land, the larger famine number, the more it affects you"???
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:46 pm

i have a problem with the gameplay. with famine to be more exact. if i understand this right if you have 11 terits or more you have -5 bonus.
and that' a real problem because in theory nobody can win this game.

let's assume i start with cardoce castle. obviously to win i have to get out of my castle and kill the others. from cardoce obviously i'll take corn which puts me to 3 terits and a bonus of -1. which basically eliminates the corn bonus. not worth it. so i won't take corn and instead i'll build in cardoce and plan to strike the closest castle. which is elifan and the quickest route means i'll have 7 terits when i reach the castle gates. that means i'll have -3 from famine so i'll have just +1 per turn. with such a shitty bonus and with all the troops i lost battling neutrals i surely won't be able to take elifan.

basically what i'm saying is that the famine is too high. the resources are usless. if i get 5 resources i will gain nothing because i'll be so stretched famine will kill me.

so the only way to win is to sit and build on your castle and hope some guy doesn't understand what famine is and stretches too far then go on the quickest route and take his castle.

also i'm curious what will happen when a guy gets -5 for famine and +4 for castle. he'll have a negative deployment. :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 pm

DiM wrote:i have a problem with the gameplay. with famine to be more exact. if i understand this right if you have 11 terits or more you have -5 bonus.
and that' a real problem because in theory nobody can win this game.

let's assume i start with cardoce castle. obviously to win i have to get out of my castle and kill the others. from cardoce obviously i'll take corn which puts me to 3 terits and a bonus of -1. which basically eliminates the corn bonus. not worth it. so i won't take corn and instead i'll build in cardoce and plan to strike the closest castle. which is elifan and the quickest route means i'll have 7 terits when i reach the castle gates. that means i'll have -3 from famine so i'll have just +1 per turn. with such a shitty bonus and with all the troops i lost battling neutrals i surely won't be able to take elifan.

basically what i'm saying is that the famine is too high. the resources are usless. if i get 5 resources i will gain nothing because i'll be so stretched famine will kill me.

so the only way to win is to sit and build on your castle and hope some guy doesn't understand what famine is and stretches too far then go on the quickest route and take his castle.

also i'm curious what will happen when a guy gets -5 for famine and +4 for castle. he'll have a negative deployment. :lol:


yea i have to make this more clear


see the numbers in the corners of the territorys? that tells u how much famine will affect that territory. So if a territory has a 1 in the corner, then it wont getaffected by famine, if it has an 11 in the corner, than u will lose 5 for holding it wihtout a resource
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:32 am

TO-DO(as far as i know for)
  • Make famine understandable
  • Add some graphix to the fishing dock to make it unique



let me know if i missed something
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 pm

You can hold half the map with just one dock.
User avatar
Lieutenant InkL0sed
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: underwater
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby bryguy on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 am

InkL0sed wrote:You can hold half the map with just one dock.




no you cant
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 pm

bryguy wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:You can hold half the map with just one dock.


no you cant


well it sure looks like Rongar is the only border from South to North
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm

btw why did you "borrow" several names from AoR??
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login