QWERTY Keyboard - Brand New Design [vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should this map be forged?

Yes!
51%
Yes!
49%

Total votes : 142

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:28 am

InkL0sed wrote:I use Dvorak... I feel misrepresented! :cry:

Dvorak was going to be my next project :P we have to cater to the masses first :P
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 am

Tieryn wrote:Are there a list of characters that won't work? we can always call the keys by worded names...

Probably anything with slashes, question marks, hashes, ampersands, percent signs, quotes & At signs. - possible even brackets...

Although - most of these are shift presses... so can be avoided...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am

I've named most things by word, but would

NumPad /
NumPad *
NumPad -
NumPad +

be okay? or should I call them NumPad Divide, NumPad Multiply, NumPad Minus, NumPad Plus?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:20 am

Tieryn wrote:I've named most things by word, but would

NumPad /
NumPad *
NumPad -
NumPad +

be okay? or should I call them NumPad Divide, NumPad Multiply, NumPad Minus, NumPad Plus?

The honest answer is - I just don't know...

You might be better off asking Lack... as it will be his engine that it is running...

I suspect that with the correct encoding it will work...

Not sure BOB will but we can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Which Keyboard folks?

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 pm

i like the retro one 8)
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bonobo`s son on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Imagewhat about this one?
ImageImage
Major bonobo`s son

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Nice, but it would have reduced gameplay capabilities :P haha

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Maybe it could be a battle between QWERTY and Dvorak :!: And they could have different aspects, like Dvorak has more mobility and just looks generally cooler. 8)
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:01 am

Here's map 2.1, I use the retro one as it got most votes, and frankly, I prefer it too. I've coloured the keys, still need to add in the impassables and other connections, as well as the letters and army circles.

Draft:

Decided not to colour the function keys, as they won't be a continent, but instead get +1 per turn each.

How's it looking folks? any comments please?
Last edited by Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:06 am

Tieryn....this looks fab.
One thing though, you have to have army circles or aty least backgrounds of some sort that will show the colours of the players armies.
To this extent, i would use not a solid colour, but a glow around the edge of each button so that you still get the image of a continent, but at least you'd be able tosee the armies on some light coloured background. :) :idea:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 am

great idea cairns :) wish I'd asked you before :p haha, now I've got to go and undo all those colour filters....

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:08 am

could I not use darker army circles? to allow the colours to show up on them?

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:08 am

Tieryn wrote:great idea cairns :) wish I'd asked you before :p haha, now I've got to go and undo all those colour filters....

Sorry :wink:
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:13 am

Tieryn wrote:could I not use darker army circles? to allow the colours to show up on them?

You can use whatever colour combinations you like...as long as the foundry approves of the colours and one can see the army numbers clearly...got my dirft.
Private cairnswk

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 am

How does it look now? I've just re-copied the faces of the keys back onto them.. I think that'll provide a standard place for the army circles...

Also, what size should this be? 800 wide? 600?

do Army circles need to be 22px wide? I'm not sure this will fit if so :(, Is it possible to use a smaller font for army numbers in the map xml?

If I make this 600px wide, each key is approx 22px wide... if I'm going to just put the army numbers on the black background bits, I'm not going to have anywhere to put in the letters. Is it possible to have the map wider? or am I going to have to find another way around this?
Last edited by Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 am

Added impassables and glow around num/caps/scroll lock lights.

Are the impassables visible enough, or do they need to be brighter?

also - are army circle necessary, a-la conquer man, if I centre the armies in the middle of the keys, with the letters in the top corner, would that be okay?

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:06 am

Tieryn wrote:Also, what size should this be? 800 wide? 600?

do Army circles need to be 22px wide? I'm not sure this will fit if so :(, Is it possible to use a smaller font for army numbers in the map xml?

I suspect that you'd be better off startig with the 600px wide small map, as you'll struggle to get it all in.

Army circles tend to be about 22px diameter, although they can be bigger or smaller - that's really up to you! As far as I understand it, the important thing is to have them an even number of pixels across so that the numbers centre properly.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 am

*nod* looking into this a bit, you really only need a space 12px by 16px, (plus space around the edges) to hold the 88, so given that I think I'm not going to have circles, but instead have the army numbers in the blank spaces in the key, such as conquer man. I think it will look better, and will allow me to fit in the other info, such as letter name, but you're right. the 600px is probably going to be the challenge.

Also, added some fingers to put the continent bonuses on...

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 am

Eeew... those multi-coloured fingers make me think "yuk"...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 am

Yeah? is it just the multi colouring? Perhaps the fingers and I just colour the fingernails???

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 am

The Caps Lock key is missing from my keyboard... I removed it in a fit of rage...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 am

Do you prefer these fingers?

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:19 am

yeti_c wrote:The Caps Lock key is missing from my keyboard... I removed it in a fit of rage...

C.

Well then, we'll just have to put neutralkiller on the caps lock for you :P

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:23 am

Okay, so I've made a 600px map... Had some trouble fitting words in, the larger map will be more detailed and better, but this is useable for those who use small maps... Is the lettering okay as is.. ? It's size 9px font, any smaller is basically mush... There's also just enough space under each letter to fit a 12x16 box, the size of an 88

Last edited by Tieryn on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas