Conquer Club

Conquer Club Racing [abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Racing

Postby zimmah on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 pm

maybe make it 4 lanes instead and slightly alter gameplay so it's still suitable for 8 players?

a regular racing track isn't so wide either, i mean it's not like all racers could race next to each other on a regualr racing track now can they?

let's just try and work out something that does fit and still have a nice gameplay like what you suggested, it's worth a try.

Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Ethitts on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Yea I have started on something which is similar to what you said Mr. Squirrel. It will have the 8 player start which means a large track width, but only for a short distance, then it will be taken down to 4 width, then maybe even 2.
Major Ethitts

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:27 am

I think a more realistic representation of racing is important for this map, i went with formula 1 as the bases for these ideas:
  • varying track width:
    • 4 wide on straights so that it is easier to 'overtake'
    • 2 at corners, harder to over take, but the outer lane should have more territories
    • 1 for secret routes.
  • Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?
  • Make the track a bit more complex, more curves ect.
  • The starting might cause a problem, if the track is only 4 wide because the person who gets the first go if he is in the second row can kill people straight away, so maybe have 2 lines of neutrals between the two lines, or just have a 8 square wide starting positions
  • Maybe add more variety to the power up.
  • Add hazards, like crashed cars, that cut the numbers of lanes down to one?
  • Your shortcut needs lots more neutrals, i think it should have more armies to kill but less territories to move the same distance, maybe add decay because it is dust track or something. Currently you have to kill atleast 52 armies to go round the track and only 40 neutrals to go along the shortcut, maybe make it 12 on each shortcut territory.
  • The wall is not possible with current XML if i remember correctly.
  • Maybe add height changes to the track, with more neutrals going up the hill, and less coming down.
  • Try to think up a way to make it possible to go round the track more than once, because you cant currently make many loops because of not being able to attack your own territories
  • Maybe make it so that you have 8 drivers, that are one way attacks to their car, and if you add the pitstop, having the driver and the driver pit area gives you a bonus, whereas having the pit stop for other drivers give you a negative?

I think that will do for now :D
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 am

Isn't like Circus Maximus, except there bonuses and a lot more territories?
Besides the graphics, it looks pretty good.
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:34 am

Isn't like Circus Maximus, except there bonuses and a lot more territories?
Besides the graphics, it looks pretty good.
However I would suggest not having the 1-lap win thing because it would be much more fun without it.
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 am

Telvannia wrote:I think a more realistic representation of racing is important for this map, i went with formula 1 as the bases for these ideas:
  • varying track width:
    • 4 wide on straights so that it is easier to 'overtake'
    • 2 at corners, harder to over take, but the outer lane should have more territories
    • 1 for secret routes.

That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

• I'm not sure how the XML works.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Make the track a bit more complex, more curves ect.

• That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • The starting might cause a problem, if the track is only 4 wide because the person who gets the first go if he is in the second row can kill people straight away, so maybe have 2 lines of neutrals between the two lines, or just have a 8 square wide starting positions

• I have decided to go with 8 starting territs along with 8 lanes, this will go down to 4 lanes after a short start (but not too short).

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe add more variety to the power up.

• Will do, once I have some more ideas.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Add hazards, like crashed cars, that cut the numbers of lanes down to one?

• That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Your shortcut needs lots more neutrals, i think it should have more armies to kill but less territories to move the same distance, maybe add decay because it is dust track or something. Currently you have to kill atleast 52 armies to go round the track and only 40 neutrals to go along the shortcut, maybe make it 12 on each shortcut territory.

• The shortcut will change and there will most likely be more than 1. Army numbers etc. will be changed after discussion.

Telvannia wrote:
  • The wall is not possible with current XML if i remember correctly.

• There will be some other similar idea/power-up

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe add height changes to the track, with more neutrals going up the hill, and less coming down.

• Good idea, might have to implement it.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Try to think up a way to make it possible to go round the track more than once, because you cant currently make many loops because of not being able to attack your own territories

• Not sure if I'd do that, I prefer 1 lap, but i'd make it a long track so it's not a short game.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe make it so that you have 8 drivers, that are one way attacks to their car, and if you add the pitstop, having the driver and the driver pit area gives you a bonus, whereas having the pit stop for other drivers give you a negative?

• Hmm that's a possible idea, I'll see how it goes when I get up to creating the pitstop.

Thanks for your ideas and support. I'll hopefully not be too far away from getting a decent draft up and then we can have some huge discussion about hot the map will go.
    Major Ethitts

Postby zimmah on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:20 am

Telvannia wrote:[*]Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

not quite sure actually, it would matter a lot for the pitstop idea, but there might be some other idea's to work around it if the killer happens before the bonus.
    Click image to enlarge.
    Major zimmah

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

zimmah wrote:
    Telvannia wrote:[*]Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

not quite sure actually, it would matter a lot for the pitstop idea, but there might be some other idea's to work around it if the killer happens before the bonus.

Haven't you guys ever played the arms race map? In that one, you get +50 armies for holding missile launch, but missile launch is a killer neutral. Thus, killer neutrals come into effect AFTER the bonus calculations. The pit stop idea will work fine. If it wouldn't have worked, I never would have suggested it originally. ;)
    Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
    zimmah wrote:

Haven't you guys ever played the arms race map? In that one, you get +50 armies for holding missile launch, but missile launch is a killer neutral. Thus, killer neutrals come into effect AFTER the bonus calculations. The pit stop idea will work fine. If it wouldn't have worked, I never would have suggested it originally. ;)

No, in arms race you dont need the missile launch to get the +50 bonus armies, and that is the bit that resets :P
    Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Coleman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I like it, but I think there should be more special territories and that they should be spread out more.
    Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
    Sergeant Coleman

Postby Androidz on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 pm

a Few Toughts:

1. Maybe you should have 1. Outerlane which don't can be attacked from the ohter lanes until atleast halfway (Longer way but safer)

2. Bonus For completing the whole way to the goal?

3. One more Lane is requiered for 8players.
    Private Androidz

Re: Conquer Club Racing - preliminary track layout

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:14 am

Hey everyone, I have posted up a preliminary layout of the track. Nothing else is added yet because I think the track layout should be decided on first. I haven't added the lane lines to the curves yet, that will happen once the final track layout has been decided.
    Major Ethitts

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I like it. It looks cool. I like how you left a lot of room in the center. It gives you plenty of space to outline rules and powerups, etc. The only problem I see is at the very beginning when the 8 lane track narrows into 4. You should make it so that it narrows from the top and the bottom like you did on the the other side of the 8-lane segment. The way it is now, the very top starter lane has a huge disadvantage. Either that, or you could just put fewer neutrals in his lane.
    Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm

imagine this on ajacent forts...:?
    Major t-o-m

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 pm

t-o-m wrote:imagine this on ajacent forts...:?

It wouldn't matter, adjacent fortifications doesn't mean you can only attack once per turn. In this game play you have to get to the end, how you fortify shouldn't take a big role.
    Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I like it. It looks cool. I like how you left a lot of room in the center. It gives you plenty of space to outline rules and powerups, etc. The only problem I see is at the very beginning when the 8 lane track narrows into 4. You should make it so that it narrows from the top and the bottom like you did on the the other side of the 8-lane segment. The way it is now, the very top starter lane has a huge disadvantage. Either that, or you could just put fewer neutrals in his lane.

I'm not sure, wouldn't the disadvantage also be the same as the bottom lanes aswell? How I will place the army circles should hopefully take away any disadvantages because I even though the top and bottom lanes curve in, it will still be the same distance for every lane. Let me try show you:

(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)

As you can see, it's the same distance along the track for any racer, they just have to change lanes is all. Although this possibly provides an advantage for the middle 2 lanes as they might not have any confrontation. What do you all think?
    Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Ethitts wrote:As you can see, it's the same distance along the track for any racer, they just have to change lanes is all. Although this possibly provides an advantage for the middle 2 lanes as they might not have any confrontation. What do you all think?

Could you put something in the way, to stop/slow them? This almost seems like a trial and error fix. Something that would need to be played out.
    Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Could you put something in the way, to stop/slow them? This almost seems like a trial and error fix. Something that would need to be played out.

Yes I suppose a hole in the road or tree trunk on the track could make players have to go around, or maybe just higher neutrals? This isn't really a biggy and can be changed later. I'll put up a new poll now, I need to know if people will be happy with this track layout.
    Major Ethitts

Postby seamusk on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Ethitts wrote:
    Juan_Bottom wrote:Could you put something in the way, to stop/slow them? This almost seems like a trial and error fix. Something that would need to be played out.

Yes I suppose a hole in the road or tree trunk on the track could make players have to go around, or maybe just higher neutrals? This isn't really a biggy and can be changed later. I'll put up a new poll now, I need to know if people will be happy with this track layout.

oil slick = killer neutrals...
    Lieutenant seamusk

Re: Conquer Club Racing - preliminary track layout (poll)

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:54 pm

I voted NO in the poll, but after reading the thread, I would like to change my vote to YES.

but the poll won't let me change the vote.
    So just pretend there is one more vote for yes and one less for no.
    Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Ethitts wrote:
    Mr. Squirrel wrote:I like it. It looks cool. I like how you left a lot of room in the center. It gives you plenty of space to outline rules and powerups, etc. The only problem I see is at the very beginning when the 8 lane track narrows into 4. You should make it so that it narrows from the top and the bottom like you did on the the other side of the 8-lane segment. The way it is now, the very top starter lane has a huge disadvantage. Either that, or you could just put fewer neutrals in his lane.

I'm not sure, wouldn't the disadvantage also be the same as the bottom lanes aswell? How I will place the army circles should hopefully take away any disadvantages because I even though the top and bottom lanes curve in, it will still be the same distance for every lane. Let me try show you:

(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
    (3)-(3)-(3)-(3)

As you can see, it's the same distance along the track for any racer, they just have to change lanes is all. Although this possibly provides an advantage for the middle 2 lanes as they might not have any confrontation. What do you all think?

I see your point now and I never thought of that. If you set the territories up that way, you should be o.k. As for the middle lanes, I don't think you should impede them because the lanes on either side of them can attack them and if the center lanes get too far ahead, the other lanes will just start taking the center lanes' 1 army territories and catch up. It should work out alright.
    Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:I voted NO in the poll, but after reading the thread, I would like to change my vote to YES.

but the poll won't let me change the vote.
    So just pretend there is one more vote for yes and one less for no.

Hehe, sorry I didn't realize I made the poll like that
    Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 am

Hi all, small update with the map:

1. Changed the background to luscious green grass, no longer the desert.
    2. Added the padding bits on the inner curves (I don't know what they're called).
    3. Added a pit stop tent.
    4. Added some cars in the colours of conquer club players.

More later!
    Major Ethitts

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:09 am

Ethitts wrote:Hi all, small update with the map:

1. Changed the background to luscious green grass, no longer the desert.
    2. Added the padding bits on the inner curves (I don't know what they're called).
    3. Added a pit stop tent.
    4. Added some cars in the colours of conquer club players.

More later!

Ethitts,

I think this is coming along. Those cards look like they will simply disappear in the noise though. Especially if you plan to put armies on top. As I said, i hate car racing but I think this will have broad appeal here. And I know many of my mates love car racing so I'd expect a good audience for this one. Keep up the good work!
    Lieutenant seamusk

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:13 am

seamusk wrote:Ethitts,

I think this is coming along. Those cards look like they will simply disappear in the noise though. Especially if you plan to put armies on top. As I said, i hate car racing but I think this will have broad appeal here. And I know many of my mates love car racing so I'd expect a good audience for this one. Keep up the good work!

Sweet, cheers for your support. I do hope people like this map.
    Major Ethitts

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas