Conquer Club Racing [abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Racing

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:16 pm

What about an objective to hold the start/finish line with the 2 checkpoints
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Ethitts wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:Problem 1: This looks in concept like Circus maximus, just longer and the "zomg, dead" element of that map removed. Perhaps a ranged attack a la Waterloo?
Problem 2: The powerups seem contrived and uninteresting, and way too scarce to justify their existence.
Problem 3: Wall isn't possible in the XML right now. Perhaps have them more plentiful and make it a massive killer neutral? (oh wait, that's Maze Craze, and still not possible in the XML...)

Possibilities:
- UNLIKE Circus Maximus, bonuses for holding sections of the track.
- More powerup ideas

I think your missing the concept here, this would be an object driven map. It's in the same layout as circus maximus yes, but game play is much different. It's meant to be a race, not a war.

As for the bonuses, your right. They are scarce and unoriginal, but that's the whole point of posting this idea, to get feedback and the ideas of other members. I would love to do this map in the style of Mario Cart (on Nintendo 64). But I'm not sure what power-ups would be possible with the XML.

then add thunder, a way overpowered piece that can bombard all other territories :lol: it might be a bit overkill but at least it will be fucking hilarious
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (4)

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:25 pm

RjBeals wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:Problem 1: This looks in concept like Circus maximus, just longer and the "zomg, dead" element of that map removed. Perhaps a ranged attack a la Waterloo?
Problem 2: The powerups seem contrived and uninteresting, and way too scarce to justify their existence.
Problem 3: Wall isn't possible in the XML right now. Perhaps have them more plentiful and make it a massive killer neutral? (oh wait, that's Maze Craze, and still not possible in the XML...)

Completely disagree. I think this is a great Idea. I fully support you on this. Power-ups are a great idea. Maybe add some oil slicks in there also, or fallen down trees covering the track, to force a bottleneck onto 1 lane? Or to force someone to take the long way around? What would the starting-turn bonus be, an auto 10 deployment? Or would it be based on how many squares you own?

i think you should reset the (territories owned/3) bonus for this map and just hand out a 5/6/7/8/9/10 or whatever amount of armies (non-autodeploy) regartless of how many territories you own. (and yes, that's possible with the current XML) heck you can even give someone less armies for holding more territories.

now actually that would be pretty fun (and it will also look like you need gas to drive, nearing the finish, you are nearly out of gas and your tires are all crappy and it becomes harder to steer and such :lol:
Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (4)

Postby seamusk on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Lots of good ideas bouncing around. I'm not a racecar fan so the theme doesn't personally intrigue me personally but I think this will have wide appeal on the site. And if the gameplay is good enough I'll play it even if you make the graphics worse. I would do something along the lines of what is suggested above. Flatten the deploy or even negative it (also doable).

Another option along the lines of another suggestion above is to require not just that someone hold the finish line but more. You could require that the winner hold an entire path or something.

I have some similar gameplay I'm toying with on a different theme. I'll just be sure that if I decide to develop my map it is distinctly unique from whatever you use here.
Captain seamusk

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:12 pm

I think this idea is perfectly plausible and could be a good map if the graphics are of a high quality. That being said, I don't think I would ever play it. I just don't like maps that are objective-driven like this. But I highly encourage you to keep developing this map. I might stop by a few times to comment on different bits, too. Good luck with this.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Wow, I'm actaully getting a really good response with this. I don't have time to read all the posts right but I will later today. Looks like I might have to give this map a go!
Major Ethitts

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Ethitts wrote:Wow, I'm actaully getting a really good response with this. I don't have time to read all the posts right but I will later today. Looks like I might have to give this map a go!

we defenitly need more objective map and maps with different strategy, and different playing styles. about half of the maps (i think even more then that) are just classic-clones on another location, and there's nothing wrong with that. but they are for from original, and this map is original and has very much potential, therefore i'll do my best to support you with my creative idea's and i might even help you to get the XML done if you want me to. (when it's time for that off course)
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm

Ok i've read through all the posts and I'll comment on what I can remember was mentioned.

Pit stops: Great idea, I'll add some when I do a proper draft.

Oil slicks, fallen down trees, potholes etc: Great idea, I'll add those too and other ideas. Maybe different areas on the track (dirt, tarceal, forest parts, shallow river crossing).

Inner lanes shorter, outer lanes longer: Maybe, depends what everyone thinks. It would be a good idea as it would create more strategy and possibly also create more conflict.

Starting turn bonus: I think the territories/3 should be completely taken out because this game play isn't based at all on how many territories you own. Just a flat rate non-auto-deploy I think.

Victory condition: I would only want the victory to be capturing 1 of the finish line territories because that's all you have to do in a race.

Damn, out of time. Zimmah i'll comment on your wall/power-up ideas later and anyones elses ideas I haven't touched on yet.
Major Ethitts

Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)

Postby Ethitts on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:33 pm

I just started doing a decent draft for this map and I don't think it's going to work (at least not the way that I'd like it to). There just isn't enough room on a map for a whole racetrack of 8 lanes. But 8 lanes would be needed for 8 player. Then there's not too mention all the gimmicks that can go with the map (shortcuts, alternate routes, etc). I might keep trying and see what I can come up with, but I can't see it working.
Major Ethitts

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Ethitts wrote:I just started doing a decent draft for this map and I don't think it's going to work (at least not the way that I'd like it to). There just isn't enough room on a map for a whole racetrack of 8 lanes. But 8 lanes would be needed for 8 player. Then there's not too mention all the gimmicks that can go with the map (shortcuts, alternate routes, etc). I might keep trying and see what I can come up with, but I can't see it working.

You don't have to make the track 8 lanes wide. Why not make it only four? Here is a draft of what I mean. Excuse the messiness, but I made in 30 seconds in paint. The black and white rectangles are the starting line/starting territories and the blue squares are the actual territories on the track.

Click image to enlarge.

This will cut the track size in half and leave you more room to add other things. It will also make it more competitive because not everyone can fit in one lane anymore.
Last edited by Mr. Squirrel on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby zimmah on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 pm

maybe make it 4 lanes instead and slightly alter gameplay so it's still suitable for 8 players?

a regular racing track isn't so wide either, i mean it's not like all racers could race next to each other on a regualr racing track now can they?

let's just try and work out something that does fit and still have a nice gameplay like what you suggested, it's worth a try.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby Ethitts on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Yea I have started on something which is similar to what you said Mr. Squirrel. It will have the 8 player start which means a large track width, but only for a short distance, then it will be taken down to 4 width, then maybe even 2.
Major Ethitts

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:27 am

I think a more realistic representation of racing is important for this map, i went with formula 1 as the bases for these ideas:
  • varying track width:
    • 4 wide on straights so that it is easier to 'overtake'
    • 2 at corners, harder to over take, but the outer lane should have more territories
    • 1 for secret routes.
  • Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?
  • Make the track a bit more complex, more curves ect.
  • The starting might cause a problem, if the track is only 4 wide because the person who gets the first go if he is in the second row can kill people straight away, so maybe have 2 lines of neutrals between the two lines, or just have a 8 square wide starting positions
  • Maybe add more variety to the power up.
  • Add hazards, like crashed cars, that cut the numbers of lanes down to one?
  • Your shortcut needs lots more neutrals, i think it should have more armies to kill but less territories to move the same distance, maybe add decay because it is dust track or something. Currently you have to kill atleast 52 armies to go round the track and only 40 neutrals to go along the shortcut, maybe make it 12 on each shortcut territory.
  • The wall is not possible with current XML if i remember correctly.
  • Maybe add height changes to the track, with more neutrals going up the hill, and less coming down.
  • Try to think up a way to make it possible to go round the track more than once, because you cant currently make many loops because of not being able to attack your own territories
  • Maybe make it so that you have 8 drivers, that are one way attacks to their car, and if you add the pitstop, having the driver and the driver pit area gives you a bonus, whereas having the pit stop for other drivers give you a negative?

I think that will do for now :D
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 am

Isn't like Circus Maximus, except there bonuses and a lot more territories?
Besides the graphics, it looks pretty good.
Lieutenant Joodoo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:34 am

Isn't like Circus Maximus, except there bonuses and a lot more territories?
Besides the graphics, it looks pretty good.
However I would suggest not having the 1-lap win thing because it would be much more fun without it.
Lieutenant Joodoo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 am

Telvannia wrote:I think a more realistic representation of racing is important for this map, i went with formula 1 as the bases for these ideas:
  • varying track width:
    • 4 wide on straights so that it is easier to 'overtake'
    • 2 at corners, harder to over take, but the outer lane should have more territories
    • 1 for secret routes.

That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

• I'm not sure how the XML works.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Make the track a bit more complex, more curves ect.

• That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • The starting might cause a problem, if the track is only 4 wide because the person who gets the first go if he is in the second row can kill people straight away, so maybe have 2 lines of neutrals between the two lines, or just have a 8 square wide starting positions

• I have decided to go with 8 starting territs along with 8 lanes, this will go down to 4 lanes after a short start (but not too short).

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe add more variety to the power up.

• Will do, once I have some more ideas.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Add hazards, like crashed cars, that cut the numbers of lanes down to one?

• That will be the plan, I'm currently working on a new draft.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Your shortcut needs lots more neutrals, i think it should have more armies to kill but less territories to move the same distance, maybe add decay because it is dust track or something. Currently you have to kill atleast 52 armies to go round the track and only 40 neutrals to go along the shortcut, maybe make it 12 on each shortcut territory.

• The shortcut will change and there will most likely be more than 1. Army numbers etc. will be changed after discussion.

Telvannia wrote:
  • The wall is not possible with current XML if i remember correctly.

• There will be some other similar idea/power-up

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe add height changes to the track, with more neutrals going up the hill, and less coming down.

• Good idea, might have to implement it.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Try to think up a way to make it possible to go round the track more than once, because you cant currently make many loops because of not being able to attack your own territories

• Not sure if I'd do that, I prefer 1 lap, but i'd make it a long track so it's not a short game.

Telvannia wrote:
  • Maybe make it so that you have 8 drivers, that are one way attacks to their car, and if you add the pitstop, having the driver and the driver pit area gives you a bonus, whereas having the pit stop for other drivers give you a negative?

• Hmm that's a possible idea, I'll see how it goes when I get up to creating the pitstop.

Thanks for your ideas and support. I'll hopefully not be too far away from getting a decent draft up and then we can have some huge discussion about hot the map will go.
    Major Ethitts

Postby zimmah on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:20 am

Telvannia wrote:[*]Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

not quite sure actually, it would matter a lot for the pitstop idea, but there might be some other idea's to work around it if the killer happens before the bonus.
    Click image to enlarge.

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

zimmah wrote:
    Telvannia wrote:[*]Add a pitstop, although my idea for this will only work depending on the order that the XML works, do killer neutrals happen before bonus calculations or after it?

not quite sure actually, it would matter a lot for the pitstop idea, but there might be some other idea's to work around it if the killer happens before the bonus.

Haven't you guys ever played the arms race map? In that one, you get +50 armies for holding missile launch, but missile launch is a killer neutral. Thus, killer neutrals come into effect AFTER the bonus calculations. The pit stop idea will work fine. If it wouldn't have worked, I never would have suggested it originally. ;)
    Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
    General Achievement (1)

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
    zimmah wrote:

Haven't you guys ever played the arms race map? In that one, you get +50 armies for holding missile launch, but missile launch is a killer neutral. Thus, killer neutrals come into effect AFTER the bonus calculations. The pit stop idea will work fine. If it wouldn't have worked, I never would have suggested it originally. ;)

No, in arms race you dont need the missile launch to get the +50 bonus armies, and that is the bit that resets :P
    Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Medals: 10
    Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
    Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Coleman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I like it, but I think there should be more special territories and that they should be spread out more.
    Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
    Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
    Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
    Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
    Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Androidz on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 pm

a Few Toughts:

1. Maybe you should have 1. Outerlane which don't can be attacked from the ohter lanes until atleast halfway (Longer way but safer)

2. Bonus For completing the whole way to the goal?

3. One more Lane is requiered for 8players.
    Private Androidz

Medals: 3
    Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Conquer Club Racing - preliminary track layout

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:14 am

Hey everyone, I have posted up a preliminary layout of the track. Nothing else is added yet because I think the track layout should be decided on first. I haven't added the lane lines to the curves yet, that will happen once the final track layout has been decided.
    Major Ethitts

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I like it. It looks cool. I like how you left a lot of room in the center. It gives you plenty of space to outline rules and powerups, etc. The only problem I see is at the very beginning when the 8 lane track narrows into 4. You should make it so that it narrows from the top and the bottom like you did on the the other side of the 8-lane segment. The way it is now, the very top starter lane has a huge disadvantage. Either that, or you could just put fewer neutrals in his lane.
    Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

General Achievement (1)

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm

imagine this on ajacent forts...:?
    Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
    Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
    Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
    Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
    Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 pm

t-o-m wrote:imagine this on ajacent forts...:?

It wouldn't matter, adjacent fortifications doesn't mean you can only attack once per turn. In this game play you have to get to the end, how you fortify shouldn't take a big role.
    Major Ethitts

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas