Conquer Club Racing [abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Racing - preliminary track layout

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Ethitts wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:I like it. It looks cool. I like how you left a lot of room in the center. It gives you plenty of space to outline rules and powerups, etc. The only problem I see is at the very beginning when the 8 lane track narrows into 4. You should make it so that it narrows from the top and the bottom like you did on the the other side of the 8-lane segment. The way it is now, the very top starter lane has a huge disadvantage. Either that, or you could just put fewer neutrals in his lane.

I'm not sure, wouldn't the disadvantage also be the same as the bottom lanes aswell? How I will place the army circles should hopefully take away any disadvantages because I even though the top and bottom lanes curve in, it will still be the same distance for every lane. Let me try show you:

(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)
(3)-(3)-(3)-(3)

As you can see, it's the same distance along the track for any racer, they just have to change lanes is all. Although this possibly provides an advantage for the middle 2 lanes as they might not have any confrontation. What do you all think?

I see your point now and I never thought of that. If you set the territories up that way, you should be o.k. As for the middle lanes, I don't think you should impede them because the lanes on either side of them can attack them and if the center lanes get too far ahead, the other lanes will just start taking the center lanes' 1 army territories and catch up. It should work out alright.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Re: Conquer Club Racing - preliminary track layout (poll)

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:I voted NO in the poll, but after reading the thread, I would like to change my vote to YES.

but the poll won't let me change the vote.
So just pretend there is one more vote for yes and one less for no.

Hehe, sorry I didn't realize I made the poll like that
Major Ethitts

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 am

Hi all, small update with the map:

1. Changed the background to luscious green grass, no longer the desert.
2. Added the padding bits on the inner curves (I don't know what they're called).
3. Added a pit stop tent.
4. Added some cars in the colours of conquer club players.

More later!
Major Ethitts

Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:09 am

Ethitts wrote:Hi all, small update with the map:

1. Changed the background to luscious green grass, no longer the desert.
2. Added the padding bits on the inner curves (I don't know what they're called).
3. Added a pit stop tent.
4. Added some cars in the colours of conquer club players.

More later!

Ethitts,

I think this is coming along. Those cards look like they will simply disappear in the noise though. Especially if you plan to put armies on top. As I said, i hate car racing but I think this will have broad appeal here. And I know many of my mates love car racing so I'd expect a good audience for this one. Keep up the good work!
Major seamusk

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (18) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:13 am

seamusk wrote:Ethitts,

I think this is coming along. Those cards look like they will simply disappear in the noise though. Especially if you plan to put armies on top. As I said, i hate car racing but I think this will have broad appeal here. And I know many of my mates love car racing so I'd expect a good audience for this one. Keep up the good work!

Sweet, cheers for your support. I do hope people like this map.
Major Ethitts

Re: Conquer Club Racing

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 am

I like this idea - there is a lot of potential here.

My intial thoughts:

1. You need to make sure your lanes are wide enough for 3-digit numbers (especially on the ups/downs)

2. I'd like to see your first draft to get an idea of where you're going to put power-ups, checkpoints etc... it has been taken off your first post.

3. I'll have a think about bonus/power-up suggestions - I'm sure there are more that you could implement.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 am

I really don't like the 8 lanes. That just screams "I'M ADAPTING THIS FOR CC AND REMOVING REALITY, GIVE ME A SECOND HERE". Instead, why not stick with the four lane idea, and have a 4x2 "starting matrix", all of which are only able to attack past the starting line (i.e., no insta-kills). Also, I think it should look more like a Formula One track instead of Indy or Stock (i.e., twists and turns, very little "I only know how to turn left!"). Find a real-life track and use it for inspiration if need be.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (6)

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Not to almost always disagree with you TaCk but I like the 8 lanes rather than trying to force 8 racers into 4 at all points.
Major seamusk

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (18) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Another update:

1. Added some temporary text just so people have an idea of what's going on.
2. Added 3 types of power-ups at different places on the map.
3. Added a burning car off the track.

Once again, more later!
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Oops, made a mistake. The start shouldn't be auto-deploy. Also the booster should probably be 3 territories ahead, not 6.
Major Ethitts

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Ethitts - please can you post your updated image here in the thread as well as on the 1st post - it saves clicking around trying to tally up comments to the map version, and then you can see the image on the thread preview when posting a reply.

Also please could you add [url] links to the 1st post for your earlier drafts - this is helpful as people can see the changes that have been ,made, and can help to avoid circular changes/arguments.

Ethitts wrote:Another update:

1. Added some temporary text just so people have an idea of what's going on.
2. Added 3 types of power-ups at different places on the map.
3. Added a burning car off the track.

Once again, more later!

Click image to enlarge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Great idea! I can tell that this will change a lot as it goes through the foundry's blender, but I think this map has a lot of promise. I really like the concept.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 am

MrBenn wrote:Ethitts - please can you post your updated image here in the thread as well as on the 1st post - it saves clicking around trying to tally up comments to the map version, and then you can see the image on the thread preview when posting a reply.

Also please could you add [url] links to the 1st post for your earlier drafts - this is helpful as people can see the changes that have been ,made, and can help to avoid circular changes/arguments.

Ok, I'll do that from now on. Sorry, but I am still quite new at this.
Major Ethitts

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:26 pm

what advantage do you have holding the pit stop? none
I think the 3 spaces behind mines should be killers (so the mines actually effect) and the 3 infront of missiles are gone
In both of those 2 cases I am talking about the one directly infront, one front and left the one front and right
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

max is gr8 wrote:what advantage do you have holding the pit stop? none
I think the 3 spaces behind mines should be killers (so the mines actually effect) and the 3 infront of missiles are gone
In both of those 2 cases I am talking about the one directly infront, one front and left the one front and right

Yea sorry, still a work in progress. The reason for the pit stop not having an advantage was because I hadn't decided on an actual advantage yet. All bonuses/power-up locations etc are subject to change. Your ideas/suggestions are welcome, keep em coming and the faster this map will progress! Cheers.

As for the killers behind the neutrals, what exactly do you mean? If you get the mine then the territories behind become killers? I'm not sure if that's possible or not, if it is then yea, that's a great idea.
Major Ethitts

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas