Conquer Club

Bering Strait

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Bering Strait (V5 - P.4)

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:21 pm

It seems like the islands Nunivak, Adak, Attu, and Kodlak are a different color from their continent (S. Alaska).
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby lanyards on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:24 pm

pepperonibread wrote:It seems like the islands Nunivak, Adak, Attu, and Kodlak are a different color from their continent (S. Alaska).
Oh, the edges are darkened, I'll remove it for all the islands then. Are the continent colors good now?

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby lanyards on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Click image to enlarge.

V6: Fixed island color, added coordinates.

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Re: Bering Strait (V6 - P.5)

Postby oaktown on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:13 pm

colorblind issues? yes... southern and northern Alaska look the same, as do the Koryak and Evensk territories. There are more colors you can use and still keep it looking "cool."

In looking at the map, what a "port" is supposed to be isn't clear... why are there ports in the middle of the sea? (The answer might be buried in the thread, but 99% of your players won't have read this.)
Captain oaktown

Postby lanyards on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:19 pm

oaktown wrote:colorblind issues? yes... southern and northern Alaska look the same, as do the Koryak and Evensk territories. There are more colors you can use and still keep it looking "cool."

In looking at the map, what a "port" is supposed to be isn't clear... why are there ports in the middle of the sea? (The answer might be buried in the thread, but 99% of your players won't have read this.)
Ok, I'll change up the colors more to fix the issues. The ports are really islands, but they are too small to be put in correct size, so I just made them like that.

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 pm

Any chance of some type of ocean texture, maybe one that actually reflects the land's surrounding water? Overlaying the water with a depth map could yield some interesting results.
Possibly something like this:
Or you could always go with wikipedia's massive 4000x2000 px elevation map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Elevation.jpg
Also, this should be called bering sea, not strait, because the strait is only the small area between Nome and Provideniya.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Yes or No.

You may select 1 option

Yes?
100%

No?
No votes

Total votes : 18
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Has there ever been a map with 100% approval in the ideas stage before?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:49 pm

[adv. idea]

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:53 pm

gimil wrote:[adv. idea]
TY TY

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:36 pm

This any better for colorblindness?

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm

The other two regions still look a bit too similar for my taste...why not use a slightly darker blue?

Edit: Actually I did not have much of a problem with the one you changed but with the two you did not change!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Incandenza on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:32 pm

lanyards wrote:The ports are really islands, but they are too small to be put in correct size, so I just made them like that.

--lanyards

You might be better off just having the islands, especially since St. Lawrence Island looks to be considerably bigger than it is in actuality.

Whether you keep or change the ports, you might want to rename Pribilof and Commander ports, since the other island terits are named after the actual islands, but those two are named after island chains. May I suggest St. Paul and Medny, respectively... (according to wiki, the largest commander island is actually bering island, but that seems to be a pandora's box best left unopened).

EDIT: one thing that might also speak against the port concept is that St. Matthew, strictly speaking, has no port, nor any permanent inhabitants.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Lanyards - nice map.

I've only scanned it quickly, and my initial impression is that it's got a similar look to RJ's Charleston... I know the maps have different colour schemes, but there is just something about it... I don't know if it's the font, or the legend placement, or the islands, or all three together, but it generally feels similar... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I'd take that as a complement ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lanyards on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 pm

MrBenn wrote:Lanyards - nice map.

I've only scanned it quickly, and my initial impression is that it's got a similar look to RJ's Charleston... I know the maps have different colour schemes, but there is just something about it... I don't know if it's the font, or the legend placement, or the islands, or all three together, but it generally feels similar... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I'd take that as a complement ;-)
I never thought it looked like Charleston, but I think it is a good thing if it does.

Right now, I need to pick out three colors that would be distinguishable to the colorblind, and still look somewhat Arctic (right now, it's blueish colors).

Any ideas?

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby Incandenza on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:00 am

I don't suppose Middle East style watermarks for the continents would be possible...
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Incandenza wrote:I don't suppose Middle East style watermarks for the continents would be possible...

I don't think that this region would look at all good in a middle east styled map. I like how he is doing it now. Icy and simple. That pretty much describes the region.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Since you're going for what seems to be the "Rand McNally political" look, perhaps add longtitude and latitude lines to the map to give it another thematic nudge.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Lanyards, whats the latest on this one?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby militant on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:51 pm

The map looks awesome, it looks nice and simple which is really good, it reminds me a little of the new Iceland map for the same reason. I am really liking the look of it. Nice one Lanyards :D
Guys I am intentionally lurking. Discuss; Play mafia, it is good.
Oderint Dum Metuant says: Don't confuse the easily confused!
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:00 pm

militant wrote:The map looks awesome, it looks nice and simple which is really good, it reminds me a little of the new Iceland map for the same reason. I am really liking the look of it. Nice one Lanyards :D

It is a very clean and sharp looking map, but it isn't quite up to the level of the Iceland map, nothing on this site is in my opinion. I'm excited to play this one when you get it finished, lanyards. You know I love a good clean map. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Coleman on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm a bit confused by the ports being the same color as two corresponding continents instead of their own color. :? That's the only improvement I can see, as their being their own color would help further clarify that they are not a part of any existing continent.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 am

did anyone notice that the colors have the exact same like... hue as the charleston map does?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby tubaman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Your map is very pretty.
Colonel tubaman

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:49 pm

a second arctic map! this map is very clean but, at these northerly latitudes, the traditional mercator projection (where north is directly upward on all parts of the map) distorts the distances a lot: the two land masses ought to be closer to each other at the top of the map than they are just now and further away at the bottom. to give the right shape of land and sea, the lines of latitude must curve in a smiling way. this can be approximated reasonably easily (if not entirely accurately) by cutting the map in two, then rotating north america anticlockwise.
lanyards wrote:
Joodoo wrote:Yukon is part of Canada, not USA.
Maybe you should make it North American Continents instead of American continents to make it more geographically correct.
Canada is in America. Right?

if canada is in america, then russia is in asia. the legend is inconsistent. the continents can be either be russian, american (of the usa) and canadian or asian and american (of north and south america). having only russian and american clearly implies that yukon is part of the usa and will be interpreted by many people as such.

can u rename siberia continent as chukotka? the entire visible left-hand landmass could perhaps be described as siberia in a loose sense, but none of it is part of the russian federal district of siberia. pepperonibread's soviet union map shows the boundaries of chukotka.

http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Soviet_Union.S.jpg

i dislike the use of each continent's colours twice. it suggests that there is some gameplay or bonus link between continents of the same colour, which there isn't.
Coleman wrote:I'm a bit confused by the ports being the same color as two corresponding continents instead of their own color. :? That's the only improvement I can see, as their being their own color would help further clarify that they are not a part of any existing continent.

the ports need to be a neutral-looking colour (white or grey, perhaps?) rather than being the same colour as one (or two!) of the continents. the attack routes from the ports are very clear.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas