Conquer Club

War of the Roses Map (Version 13 p.9 comments please!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 11 p.6)

Postby walnutwatson on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:32 pm

The map is looking great. I'm sure there's some reason with it being this far down the line but what's the reason for half of Yorkshire being swallowed up by Derbyshire. Nothing against Derbyshire, it's a lovely place, but it's only about a third the size of Yorkshire whereas on your map it's about twice as big as Yorkshire.
Are you supporting the House of Lancaster by any chance? :-k
Lieutenant walnutwatson

Postby bspride on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:02 pm

walnutwatson wrote:The map is looking great. I'm sure there's some reason with it being this far down the line but what's the reason for half of Yorkshire being swallowed up by Derbyshire. Nothing against Derbyshire, it's a lovely place, but it's only about a third the size of Yorkshire whereas on your map it's about twice as big as Yorkshire.

no...in reality yorkshire and lancanshire would be touching...thus making it easier to hold the two houses...so i wanted to split them up a bit...for gameplay purposes.
Corporal bspride

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:26 pm

bspride wrote:
walnutwatson wrote:The map is looking great. I'm sure there's some reason with it being this far down the line but what's the reason for half of Yorkshire being swallowed up by Derbyshire. Nothing against Derbyshire, it's a lovely place, but it's only about a third the size of Yorkshire whereas on your map it's about twice as big as Yorkshire.

no...in reality yorkshire and lancanshire would be touching...thus making it easier to hold the two houses...so i wanted to split them up a bit...for gameplay purposes.

I would support geographical accuracy, although I still think that some thought needs to go into the gameplay; the North is a much better place to start than the South - can you think of some ways to address this imbalance?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby walnutwatson on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:34 pm

bspride wrote:

Makes sense. Can't wait to play it. :D
Lieutenant walnutwatson

Postby drake_259 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:45 pm

i like the writing but it think it need to be changed a bit, its a bit hard too read
Corporal drake_259

Postby bspride on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm

drake_259 wrote:i like the writing but it think it need to be changed a bit, its a bit hard too read

yeah...i will address this in the next update...probably will get that done by next sunday...school is jamming me up...
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 pm

MrBenn wrote:
bspride wrote:

I would support geographical accuracy, although I still think that some thought needs to go into the gameplay; the North is a much better place to start than the South - can you think of some ways to address this imbalance?

yeah...i want to have the houses start as neutrals...probably a 4 or 5 so its hard to gain in one turn...also the ports will be a good way of quickly navigating to stop ones bonus
Corporal bspride

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Looking great bspride. Graphically, may I suggest having a slight drop-shadow around the edge of the paper, as it looks a little static against the woodgrain.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby bspride on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:03 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Looking great bspride. Graphically, may I suggest having a slight drop-shadow around the edge of the paper, as it looks a little static against the woodgrain.

yeah...no problem...expect it in the next update.
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:57 pm

my bad on the updates be postponed :oops: ...real life got in the way last week...and this week i have a Cross Country meet...so if im not to tired when i get back in i will do work on this map...dont worry i havent forgot about this map
Corporal bspride

Postby mibi on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 pm

First of all, what is that sans doing in there? The aliasing on the text is too harsh, try smooth. The continent borders are not prominent enough. The uniformity of the territory bothers me too. Learn to bend it, place the text on a path and don't be afraid to hyphenate. There could be more color too, the dark ages weren't all that drab. Also the title deserves some extra attention, it looks like an after though. The battle icon is too faint and the docks need serious work. The country as a whole could be smaller to give you more room for other elements. Why are the rivers grey?

i like the compass though.
Captain mibi

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:09 pm

I would like to mention that due to this map, I was the only person in my Euro class who knew what the War of the Roses was before we learned it. 8-)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby bspride on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Here is version 12...didnt change much... :(
Changed ports...comment on them if you like them
Also changed color...tried to darken but dont like the effect...t-o-m if you could tell me what you did...i seem to like your product
also comment on the text choices i put in derb territory...
Corporal bspride

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 12 p.8)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm not sold on any of those font options - they're all a bit too hard to decipher, in my opinion.

Are you happy with the gameplay mechanics? I don't think anything has changed since I posted this:
MrBenn wrote:I still think that some thought needs to go into the gameplay; the North is a much better place to start than the South - can you think of some ways to address this imbalance?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:42 pm

1. I had trouble understanding what the ports were until I read the post. I was actually going to ask what the connecting points were supposed to represent. I do not have any suggestions on how to improve them though.

2. Could you make the symbol for the battles slightly thicker/larger? They are not very noticeable at the moment, especially with the thick text.

3. I would go with Either the first or the third text choice, depending on the style you are going for with the map, although I do love the look of the third, if you do not use it here, I think another map would do quite well with it.

4. The rivers are too light and smooth to be impassible, they look more like borders to me.

The map looks wonderful overall. You did a very good job with the page and torn edges.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby bryguy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:19 am

Its to dark for me now, and still to red.

Heres a suggestion on what to do to fix that:

Go under Colors--> Color Balance

Under Midtones, slide the [b]Red[/] slider over to -28. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE. LEAVE ALL OTHER SLIDERS ON 0.

Hit okay. Do Colors--> Brightness/Contrast

Slide the Brightness slider to 3.

If you dont like how that makes it look (or you think its slightly to dark) then try also doing:

Colors--> Levels

Then either:

Output Levels: The black slider to 15

or/and

Input levels:

The white slider over to 203

You can mess around with those if you want to get the desired look.

By lowering the red color in the Color Balance, it will make it less red. Upping the brightness makes it brighter and not as dark, and by altering the Output/Input levels makes it slightly brighter yet keeps the detail.

Hope that helps :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby mibi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 pm

mibi wrote:First of all, what is that sans doing in there? The aliasing on the text is too harsh, try smooth. The continent borders are not prominent enough. The uniformity of the territory bothers me too. Learn to bend it, place the text on a path and don't be afraid to hyphenate. There could be more color too, the dark ages weren't all that drab. Also the title deserves some extra attention, it looks like an after though. The battle icon is too faint and the docks need serious work. The country as a whole could be smaller to give you more room for other elements. Why are the rivers grey?

i like the compass though.

all of these still apply.
Captain mibi

Postby bspride on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:51 pm

im gonna have to ask for a postponement of development on this map...Real Life is being a bitch right know and i have to worry about school and stuff...hopefully I can get everything on track and finish this map...my desire to finish is still there just cant find the time...
Corporal bspride

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 12 p.8) [Vacation]

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 am

Moved into retirement.

When you're ready to continue, one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system ;-)

Mr B
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby iancanton on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 pm

as requested, moved back into the land of the living.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby bspride on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Map Update

After moving it back to the living lol...I have looked at my original map and decided to make a few changes...hopefully i will have the revised map up by the end of the week...
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Whoop Whoop...after about a half year lay off im ready to begin again on this epic journey of making a map lol...after looking over past comments and concerns about my map i have switched it up quite a bit...please compare to last version which can be found on page 8 or in a link in the first post...i have changed the map to make better use of the room allotted yet i still feel there is to much dead space on the map...comments and concerns are always welcome!
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal bspride

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 13 p.9 comments please!)

Postby jefjef on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:28 am

War of the roses was all about kindoms - villages & castles...... Ya could include castles for each kindom & family crests would be cool (lots of color & neat shields) and I believe London and a couple other cities was of importance then & ya could do an auto deploy of 1 (like in europe 1914)too & ya could split S england and give ya another bonus area & increase wales value...... Nice work - cool idea =D>
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Could you define the borders more they are difficult to make out, I like the texture you have going but I think you have overused it, its hard to see most details maybe lighten up a little.
Cook sailorseal

Postby bspride on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 pm

sailorseal wrote:Could you define the borders more they are difficult to make out, I like the texture you have going but I think you have overused it, its hard to see most details maybe lighten up a little.

By lighten up a little...do you mean lightening the parchment?
Corporal bspride

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas