Conquer Club

War of the Roses Map (Version 13 p.9 comments please!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 13 p.9 comments please!)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:39 am

jefjef wrote:War of the roses was all about kindoms - villages & castles...... Ya could include castles for each kindom & family crests would be cool (lots of color & neat shields) and I believe London and a couple other cities was of importance then & ya could do an auto deploy of 1 (like in europe 1914)too & ya could split S england and give ya another bonus area & increase wales value...... Nice work - cool idea =D>

I'd like to see a bit more history conveyed in the map somehow....

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/colbeck/england_wars_of_the_roses.jpg
http://www.thelivingmoon.com/01library/01archives/03maps/03sha/england1455.jpg
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby walnutwatson on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:30 am

The last version of this map that I saw had the locations of the main battles signified by crossed swords. They seem to have disappeared but I was going to suggest auto-deploy on them, also Hull, Bristol, Liverpool and London would be good places for sea routes
Lieutenant walnutwatson

Postby kevusher on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 am

I think the central idea is really good, but a few thoughts on the geography.... The House of York rose should really be one territory to the left ie. currently where the "Engl" of North England is. This obviously brings it adjacent to the red rose, so why not include London in a "hold opposing rose + London" type bonus. Historically London was the real strategic hub, and you have to remember that the terms York and Lancaster as personal titles were losing their geographic links around this time... A modern example for those who know the geography is that Chatsworth House, the seat of the Duke of Devonshire is actually in Derbyshire ~300miles away (or 2/3 of the map is possibly a better description!)
I also slightly disagree with the idea of it being a war between kingdoms, as I'd say it was more a dispute between 2 central factions but with changeable minor allies. Don't think that's too important at this stage, but was a little concerned in case the gameplay started drifting away from the history....
Corporal 1st Class kevusher

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 am

All the lines are way too light. I can't read a thing.
Darken the bolder lines as well as the interior lines (without losing the difference in darkness between them).

The names of the regions are way too light.

The numbers in the minimap are too small, as are the words below it.

All of the external words, even though I can read them after looking for a moment, need to be darker.

Bring out the color in the roses, I think.

After the graphical problems are addressed, I'll comment on gameplay.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby jefjef on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 am

Great idea of the roses being a bonus only when held in conjunction with london. Other wise N England would be worth 6 when completely held..................
Colonel jefjef

Postby God Emperor Q on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 pm

At first glance, it is really hard to tell seperate terits apart. Maybe darker lines? Or you could give them names? I would go with darker lines for a start though. I also think you could do more with this map, looks a bit straight forward. Maybe each terit could be controlled by a kingdom, and each kingdom could be controlled by a house (kingdom is the worng word, i know). Idk, all i know is that after reading Richard III i was confused, so i think this map can be a lot more... confusing? :D
Great start though, and your 13 drafts show that your willing to do work, which is good.

Good Luck,
GEQ
Lieutenant God Emperor Q

Postby bspride on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 pm

God Emperor Q wrote:At first glance, it is really hard to tell seperate terits apart. Maybe darker lines? Or you could give them names? I would go with darker lines for a start though. I also think you could do more with this map, looks a bit straight forward. Maybe each terit could be controlled by a kingdom, and each kingdom could be controlled by a house (kingdom is the worng word, i know). Idk, all i know is that after reading Richard III i was confused, so i think this map can be a lot more... confusing? :D
Great start though, and your 13 drafts show that your willing to do work, which is good.

Good Luck,
GEQ

I will definitely darken the lines...i dont want to name them though...that seems to hard and crowds the map too much...And any suggestions on gameplay ideas would be gladly accepted!
Corporal bspride

Postby jefjef on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:04 pm

MrBenn wrote:
jefjef wrote:War of the roses was all about kindoms - villages & castles...... Ya could include castles for each kindom & family crests would be cool (lots of color & neat shields) and I believe London and a couple other cities was of importance then & ya could do an auto deploy of 1 (like in europe 1914)too & ya could split S england and give ya another bonus area & increase wales value...... Nice work - cool idea =D>

I'd like to see a bit more history conveyed in the map somehow....

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/colbeck/england_wars_of_the_roses.jpg
http://www.thelivingmoon.com/01library/01archives/03maps/03sha/england1455.jpg
Colonel jefjef

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:07 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas