War of the Roses Map (Version 13 p.9 comments please!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 8 p.4) with small map

Postby bspride on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Version 9
Moved text...made army circles lighter...
Corporal bspride

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 9 p.5)

Postby bspride on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 pm

any comments?
Corporal bspride

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:50 pm

lookin good :)

1) the ports dont really fit the way they look, maybe try messing around with the opacity?
2) The darker water layer needs the opacity changed, its to solid right now

sorry thats all i have time to comment on right now, hopefully more later :D
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm

for the ports what about using a dock stlye wood effect?
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby bspride on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:for the ports what about using a dock stlye wood effect?

continue...could you give example?
Corporal bspride

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:03 am

Mssing the basic information on the first post:
Map Makers Handbook wrote:Information Requirements on the first post of a maps thread
1. The number of territories currently on the map.
2. The number of continents. (If this makes sense for your map)
3. Descriptions of any unique features or areas.

once you do this I will see about getting the ball rolling on this one :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:59 am

ok...get that done tonight sometime
Corporal bspride

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 pm

I find the font on the territory names and in the legend very hard to read. Could you find a different Gothic-style font that's a bit more legible?
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:49 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I find the font on the territory names and in the legend very hard to read. Could you find a different Gothic-style font that's a bit more legible?

i will look...oh and gimil i got the required info posted
Corporal bspride

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm

This map is looking pretty good. nice work.

There are a few things I see to comment on right now, though.
1. can ports attack eachother? It would help to have that explained somewhere on the map.
2. Continent bonuses. Could you at least stick some kind of number in as the bonus, just as a guess? One requirement for the ideas stamp is "speculative bonuses". Since you can't speculate with only question marks, it'd probably help to put some kind of number in there, even if it will be changed later.
3. Some continent borders need to be redrawn. Mainly the one between Glos and Herefs. Right now that one is really choppy while the rest of the borders are cleaner and more smooth.
4. The font on the bonuses section should be a bit smaller, I think. So then you could put each bonus all one one line. Right now its a bit confusing to read because it says:
Hold 4
Battles +2
Hold 5
Battles +3
Hold all
Battles +5
etc....

Its just a slightly confusing format. I'd prefer if it was listed like this, with the font a bit smaller:
Hold 4 battles +2
Hold 5 battles +3
Hold all battles +5
etc...

Other than those things, I don't see any big issues with this map.
Once you get some bonuses listed, you will probably get [adv idea]. Keep working until then.

Good luck, its looking good so far.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 pm

maybe you could remove the different names that are over the different areas (wales, north england, midlands, etc) and add a mini-map instead?
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby bspride on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:27 pm

will be getting everything noted done eventually...I have started High School again (Senior :D :D :D ) and am currently swamped by 5 college courses...Dont worry I will be working on this map even though it will be slow.
Corporal bspride

Postby walnutwatson on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

Hey, the map looks really good. Do the battle symbols have any affect on game play? The reason I ask is because you've missed the battle of Towton off, any chance you could add it? It was the biggest battle ever fought on mainland Britain and had a larger loss of life than the Somme so it really should be in there, it's on wikipedia if you want to check it out.
Sorry for being pedantic but it's in my home county.
Yorkshire Rules.
Sergeant 1st Class walnutwatson

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:46 pm

[adv. idea]

you still need to put in some speculative continent bonuses though, to replace the ?s. Without those, no ideas stamp.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:16 pm

walnutwatson wrote:Hey, the map looks really good. Do the battle symbols have any affect on game play? The reason I ask is because you've missed the battle of Towton off, any chance you could add it? It was the biggest battle ever fought on mainland Britain and had a larger loss of life than the Somme so it really should be in there, it's on wikipedia if you want to check it out.
Sorry for being pedantic but it's in my home county.
Yorkshire Rules.

definetly will look that up
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Version 10!
Added bonuses...moved one battle...moved text...resized text...added mini map
Any ideas for how the continents should be labeled in the mini map?
Corporal bspride

Re: War of the Roses Map (Version 10 p.6)

Postby t-o-m on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:46 pm

This is looking fantastic!

Give yourself a pat on the back.
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:50 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I find the font on the territory names and in the legend very hard to read. Could you find a different Gothic-style font that's a bit more legible?

You seem to have forgotten this?
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:

dont worry...i want to iron out some elements like the mini map and bonuses before i work on font...
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 pm

t-o-m wrote:This is looking fantastic!

Give yourself a pat on the back.

thank you very much :D
Corporal bspride

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 pm

bspride wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

dont worry...i want to iron out some elements like the mini map and bonuses before i work on font...

Okay, just making sure that comment hadn't fallen by the wayside.

You might want to consider making the bonus for holding both roses +1 instead of +2. It's only two territories, and someone could easily start with both.

South England is practically impossible to hold - any chance of you splitting it into two bonuses?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
bspride wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

Okay, just making sure that comment hadn't fallen by the wayside.

You might want to consider making the bonus for holding both roses +1 instead of +2. It's only two territories, and someone could easily start with both.

South England is practically impossible to hold - any chance of you splitting it into two bonuses?

i was considering that...possibly Lands End continent
Corporal bspride

Postby bspride on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:53 pm

I will be changing the font in the map for my next update...anything else i should change while im at it?
Corporal bspride

Postby bryguy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Right now all i have time to comment on is the mini-map. On the mini-map, try removing the docks, territory lines (except the darker ones that show where areas end!), and rivers, scale it down a tiny bit, and then adding the numbers for the bonuses (except the battles)
Corporal bryguy

Postby bspride on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Version 11
moved mini map...added bonuses...moved some text...
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by bspride on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal bspride

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas