The Mediterranean Basin [Recycling Bin]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Mediterranean Basin [Version 5]

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 am

That's like saying Asia doesn't count as you can't hold it early or mid game (Except against idiots). I say keep the continent, but maybe split it in half across and East/West line (a la Rome/Byzantium) to make it a very tough couple of bonuses.

Also, you forgot an extra R in Mediterranean Sea.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 am

Really ok thanx, could you elaborate on your splitting the bonus in 2 idea please ;)
Major samuelc812

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (6) Map Contribution (4)
Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (8)

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:25 am

Split right through the Mediterranean text, leaving 5 territories to each side (Greece, Al-Marj to East; Sicily, Tripoli to West).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Ok here are my Gameplay ideas:
  • I am going to implement TaCtiX idea to split the Mediterranean continent in half to make them easier to take
  • I was thinking that maybe The island territories could be like the Alcatraz on San Francisco, except the islands can still attack each other via the ocean attack routes, it's just that the islands can't attack the mainland except for the parts connected to the Continents
  • But definently Standard Gameplay, i don't think there should be any Secondary Objectives or anything like that
  • I was also thinking about having Capitals - European Capitals - And - African Capitals - which can be another easy bonus to take the 3 African or European Capitals for a +2 bonus or Hold All Capitals for +5...Your Thoughts??

Please suggest some more Gameplay ideas if you have any....
Major samuelc812

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (6) Map Contribution (4)

Postby eigenvector on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:22 pm

samuelc812 wrote:Ok here are my Gameplay ideas:
  • I am going to implement TaCtiX idea to split the Mediterranean continent in half to make them easier to take
  • I was thinking that maybe The island territories could be like the Alcatraz on San Francisco, except the islands can still attack each other via the ocean attack routes, it's just that the islands can't attack the mainland except for the parts connected to the Continents
  • But definently Standard Gameplay, i don't think there should be any Secondary Objectives or anything like that
  • I was also thinking about having Capitals - European Capitals - And - African Capitals - which can be another easy bonus to take the 3 African or European Capitals for a +2 bonus or Hold All Capitals for +5...Your Thoughts??

The idea is to have the Capital inside the country as an internal territ? I was thinking of this in the terms of "castles" for a crusades map... I'm for it.

I also support the idea of splitting the bonus.
Corporal 1st Class eigenvector

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby samuelc812 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:40 pm

eigenvector wrote:

The idea is to have the Capital inside the country as an internal territ? I was thinking of this in the terms of "castles" for a crusades map... I'm for it.

Don't know about castles i was thinking just large dots or stars like the American Civil War Map, this isn't really a medieval map?? And yes inside the countries....
Major samuelc812

Postby eigenvector on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:46 pm

samuelc812 wrote:
eigenvector wrote:

Don't know about castles i was thinking just large dots or stars like the American Civil War Map, this isn't really a medieval map?? And yes inside the countries....

I just mentioned castles as an example for something else. Glad we're on the same page, though... :)

Keep up the good work.
Corporal 1st Class eigenvector

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:37 am

MrBenn wrote:This map is certainly moving in the right direction. [Advanced Draft]

Thankyou :)

MrBenn wrote:I'd like to see a bit more thought about how the gameplay will develop...

I preferred an earlier version without all the Med crossings - they seem a bit clumsy.
Have you thought about differnet ways of implementing the Med bonus area? You could do it so those territories fall in both continents?

If there are no Med crossings, how will people know where the islands connect???
That sounds like a great idea, now i just have to figure out how to blend colours in the parts that are in both continents???

MrBenn wrote: On a side note, there are no continent names on the map; you'll need to get them on somewhere

They will be in the next Version ;)

How a Map Progresses Through the Foundry wrote:To earn the draft stamp you must meet the following conditions:

1)The map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go CHECK

2) Have a playable image. If we quenched it people should be able toplay on it. Ths should included the following:
  • Territory names CHECK
  • Working legends CHECK
  • Speculative Bonuses CHECK
  • Tentative Border Divisions CHECK

3) The working image needs to be beyond rough draft state. This means that you must provide the following:
  • A working image done in some kind of graphic software. Pencil drawn images and images done on paint will not be accpected. CHECK
  • Two quality updates must be provided. CHECK

4) Have honest and interested discussion. Not just you and three friends. CHECK

What else do i need to do???
Major samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin--Version 5--Oct.12--pg1,4

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 am

A few points, though I haven't been keeping up with this thread much lately so they may have been mentioned already:

1) Balearic needs colour distinction --- hard to tell if it's part of Spain or the mega-continent
2) The effects you're using to separate the continents don't just separate the continents, but also create an odd looking border with other areas, north side of Spain in a good example
3) Aswan-Sinai needs distinction --- hard to tell if there is a border there or not
Captain e_i_pi

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Mediterranean Basin--Version 6--Oct.22--pg1,5

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 am

Here is Version 6 everyone :)

I hope that much has improved :)

Click image to enlarge.

I just want this to be a standard gameplay map without all the gimmicky gameplay things maps seem to have these days, just simple, just a better version of simple :)

MrBenn if you would rather see the Mediterranean Continents be both part of the mainland as well as their own continent would you kindly suggest how you would have me do that?? ;)
Major samuelc812

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 am

I think that I preferred the overall style of version 5... :|

The borders look a lot more clean and consistent, so that's a step in the right direction.

I think there are too many connections going over the sea. They clutter the map and make the island bonuses virtually impossible to secure... speaking of bonuses, the values you currently have will definitely need to be revisited, but you will need to iron out the gameplay first ;-)
samuelc812 wrote:MrBenn if you would rather see the Mediterranean Continents be both part of the mainland as well as their own continent would you kindly suggest how you would have me do that??

It isn't about what I prefer - this is your map after all ;-)
I was only suggesting that the islands could belong in multiple bonus regions... if you wanted to go for this option, you'd need a way of visually identifying the dual regions, and a note on the legend too.

As far as the legend/title goes, I'm really not a fan of the flowers: they don't really convey anything Mediterranean to me...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Charles_IV on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:34 pm

I like the map. I think Greece and Crete must have a connector, don't you agree?

Charles_IV
Corporal Charles_IV

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:29 pm

yes, the flowers need to go..
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey, the middle east right now is way too large and gives way too small of a bonus. Why don't you split it in two, with Turkey as one country on the top and the middle east as a different one on the bottom. You could then give smaller bonuses for each and it will make that area not so much of a no man's land.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 pm

Sorry to do this to you guys, i will pick this up later on but right now this is on a temporary Vacation ;)
Major samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin [Temporary Vacation]

Postby MrBenn on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm

samuelc812 wrote:Sorry to do this to you guys, i will pick this up later on but right now this is on a temporary Vacation ;)

In that case... moved into temporary retirement.

When you're ready to continue, one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: The Mediterranean Basin --Back on Track--V6--

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:21 am

Here is Version 7

A few changes that i have made include:
  • I have redone the entire map as the other map was getting a tad confusing
  • I hae merged a few territs and added Switzerland in order to make space
  • Added better mountains
  • I have decided against the Mediterranean Bonus and all that
  • I have split the middle East into 2 bonuses as well

Things to Discuss
  • Your thoughts on Capitals as easy bonuses
  • Speculative Mediterranean links

Click image to enlarge.
Major samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin --V7--8/11/08--

Postby oaktown on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:26 am

welcome back to the real world. ;)
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Digital Jihad on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 am

Doesn't a bonus of 8 for the yellow area seem a tad bit high? Kinda liked the 5 or even 6 better. Also though it depends on connections with the islands though.
Last edited by Digital Jihad on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class Digital Jihad

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:35 am

I have worked all these bonuses out on WM's bonus spreadsheet, the reason yellow is significanlt high is because it will be connected to so many other areas and therefore will be harder to hold ;)
Major samuelc812

Postby oaktown on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 am

While I liked where the old graphics were going, I appreciate your desire to make this easier to work with until you iron out the basics of the map.

Personally, I'd like to see fewer territories that aren't actually on the Med. Some of those interior Saharan territories - Tindouf, Ardrad, etc. - don't strike me as beng particularly 'Mediterranean.' And having been to the 'fairy chimneys' I can tell you they are just tiny portion of the very large territory... something simpler, like Central Anatolia perhaps?

Were you thinking you'd make the Peloponese (sp?) a territory, or a part of Greece? I'd like to see it as a territory, as it is at least as significant historically as, say, Malta.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Digital Jihad on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 am

samuelc812 wrote:I have worked all these bonuses out on WM's bonus spreadsheet, the reason yellow is significanlt high is because it will be connected to so many other areas and therefore will be harder to hold ;)

True in next update maybe show connections. :)
Corporal 1st Class Digital Jihad

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:54 am

oaktown wrote:While I liked where the old graphics were going, I appreciate your desire to make this easier to work with until you iron out the basics of the map.

Personally, I'd like to see fewer territories that aren't actually on the Med. Some of those interior Saharan territories - Tindouf, Ardrad, etc. - don't strike me as beng particularly 'Mediterranean.' And having been to the 'fairy chimneys' I can tell you they are just tiny portion of the very large territory... something simpler, like Central Anatolia perhaps?

Were you thinking you'd make the Peloponese (sp?) a territory, or a part of Greece? I'd like to see it as a territory, as it is at least as significant historically as, say, Malta.

Edited

As for The Valley of the Fairy Chimneys i will change it to Central Anatolia, is the Peloponese what part is that the hand like part under greece if so yes it is a part of greece unless you would like it as it's own territory ;)
Major samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin --V8--10/11/08--

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:20 am

Gameplay:
  • I have added the Nile as an impassable in Egypt
  • New bonuses, The Capitals of Africa and The Capitals of Europe

Current Version 8

Click image to enlarge.

A few changes that i have made include:
  • New Mountains
  • Added The Nile as an impassable in Egypt
  • Eliminated 3 Algerian territories as Oaktown suggested
  • Added Capitals as bonuses
  • Added Mediterranean Connections
Major samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin --V8--10/11/08--

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Hmmmm.... Switzerland doesn't quite look right - I wonder if it's because the northern edge should border Germany not Austria?

My biggest concern remains the geography... In my mind the Mediterranean Basin is only the (bits of) countries that are right on the coast:
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas