Vinland v3 pg1

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Vinland v3 pg1

Postby crosseout on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Vinland

Vital info:

Map Title: Vinland
Mapmaker: crosseout
6 Regions
39 territories
Bonuses: +15(regions) and -2 (Hostile territories (baku and vinland))
Gameplay: Take all territories along the conquestroute; baku and vinland are negative; else as standard.
Size: Large 800px × 667px; Small 630px × 525px (12% difference)

setting:
The vikings raid through europe using their awesome shallow ships. From Norway, Sweden and Denmark they pillage all the way to Newfoundland and Constantinople (Istanbul).

objective:
capture every territory on the viking trade/pillaging routes (marked with dots).

neutrals:
Baku and Vinland have 6 neutrals. Every other territory has 1-3.

features
Vinland and Baku are hostile territories. They have a -1 bonus, and 6 neutrals.
Armies that are past Iceland (due west) cannot return to iceland.
more?

Work:

- Changed from cities to territories.
- Added a bunch of territories
- Changed the routes
- Added legend
- Added kraken and viking ships(;
- Added bonus legend
- Fixed boarders and bonus region colors
- More coming at your request:D

current version:
Click image to enlarge.

original map:
Click image to enlarge.

v1: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/16 ... landv1.jpg
v2: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/16 ... landv2.jpg
Last edited by crosseout on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Cadet crosseout

Re: Vinland

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:21 pm

crosseout wrote:Does this have potential?

The map is based on the routes the vikings used to pillage europe, with some minor addons for playability...
Very uncertain about the city-conquering style though, perhaps I should go with normal boarders?

Click image to enlarge.

Vikings got all the way out to Baku??? Wow. Yes it happened.
I'd be interested to see your referencing articles.
And yes it does have potential. :)
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby crosseout on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:
crosseout wrote:Does this have potential?

The map is based on the routes the vikings used to pillage europe, with some minor addons for playability...
Very uncertain about the city-conquering style though, perhaps I should go with normal boarders?

Vikings got all the way out to Baku??? Wow. Yes it happened.
I'd be interested to see your referencing articles.
And yes it does have potential. :)

ya, I looked at some maps showing that the swedes went there, and I followed it up with some more research; nothing definite, but it seems to be what happened...
http://azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazi ... oming.html
http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Azerbaij ... -1170.html

Do you think I should keep territories city-based, or country/county based?
Last edited by crosseout on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet crosseout

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:26 pm

I love the background image =D>

I think cities could work - there are maps like that already - but I think I'd prefer territories.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby crosseout on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:43 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I love the background image =D>

I think cities could work - there are maps like that already - but I think I'd prefer territories.

yeah, I think i am going to go with territories instead of cities. But some of the routes will still apply(;
Cadet crosseout

Postby blacky44 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 pm

I like the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Corporal 1st Class blacky44

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Re: Vinland v2 pg1

Postby crosseout on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 am

Version 2 is here:
Based on the suggestions I did some changes (see post 1 for change log)

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet crosseout

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 pm

I definitely like the map, but it is almost completely illegible. I definitely like the old raggedy map style that you used, but as for names, I can barely read them. Also, it's hard to tell which areas are territories and which are non-playable areas. Could you clear it up a bit, maybe make the colors a bit bolder?

Overall, I think this map has great potential, you just have to fix it up a bit.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby crosseout on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:30 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I definitely like the map, but it is almost completely illegible. I definitely like the old raggedy map style that you used, but as for names, I can barely read them. Also, it's hard to tell which areas are territories and which are non-playable areas. Could you clear it up a bit, maybe make the colors a bit bolder?

Overall, I think this map has great potential, you just have to fix it up a bit.

I saturated the colors more to make them more visible, easier to distinguish between territories and continents now?
Should I change the font entirely, or just size it up a bit?

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet crosseout

Re: Vinland v3 pg1

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Good idea

I like the effect you have going and you should stick with it. Increase the opacity of the colors identifying the bonuses. Can you make the whole map a little more defined but leave the surrounding area the way it is.
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:45 pm

This map looks visually stunning!

I preferred the look of v2 to v3 - the region areas look better as if they have been painted on rather than outline-painted. It's really difficult to see how things connect - the dotted lines are too heavy. There's also a lot of empty space, that you could utilise to tell the 'Vinland' story?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby crosseout on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:56 am

MrBenn wrote:This map looks visually stunning!

I preferred the look of v2 to v3 - the region areas look better as if they have been painted on rather than outline-painted. It's really difficult to see how things connect - the dotted lines are too heavy. There's also a lot of empty space, that you could utilise to tell the 'Vinland' story?

thank you very much; will do.
Cadet crosseout

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Isn't the Black Sea missing?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Lelle67 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Dont call it Stockholm. Its from 1252.
It should be Birka or Sigtuna
Cadet Lelle67

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Joodoo on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 pm

the map looks too dark I think
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Joodoo on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm

I think the map looks too dark
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas