Conquer Club

world 2.2

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

world 2.2

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 am

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv12 ... d_2_1L.jpg

Just farting around. ... 8-)
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Re: world 2.2

Postby sully800 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 am

I like that effect!

But I also think World 2.1 is a fine map as it stands now. It would be better to pick an original idea to start and use that visual style than to revamp one of CC's favorite maps.
Major sully800

Postby john9blue on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 am

World 2.3: The World At Night. :P
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby hecter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 am

hecter wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby hecter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

It's a nice map though. Why not put your talents to good use and make something new?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 am

I was surfing around a bit the other day, and found many RISK, and other world domination sites. They all have their own signature maps. We used to have the Risk knock-off, and it was great. It got me to thinking. Why don't we polish up one of our own maps and stand it up next to the best that the other sites have. I consider World 2.1 the best map that CC has come out with, and picked it for that reason. So, here is my first draft of what I see as a respectful tribute to Zim and his fantastic World 2.1 map. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:04 am

I see you've got some enthusiasim porkenbeans, so I like that, but perhaps you should look for some more original ideas. I know you've got some in that head of yours! :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:07 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I see you've got some enthusiasim porkenbeans, so I like that, but perhaps you should look for some more original ideas. I know you've got some in that head of yours! :)

--Andy
Thanx Andy, I do have some original projects in the works. But this one is not an attempt in that vane. I have Zims' approval, and he is being consulted with all the work. Our goal is to create a "Signature" map for CC.

Out of all the great maps at CC, World 2.1 is without a doubt the closest thing we have to a Signature map. And with the loss of the Classic map, and along with it, a great number of players as well, this need is evident.

Not only will a polished up World 2.2 replace the Classic Risk map, it will, (and pardon my blasphemy) ...Put it to shame. 8-[

Don't get me wrong, World 2.1 is not a bad map. On the contrary, it is a very good map. And its popularity is the reason it was chosen for this project. To all of its fans, please consider this revamp as just a new paint job for the best map CC has ever produced.

You will notice a few changes. Borders are bit more, less ambiguous. As are the continents. The biggest change is the addition of the Arctic. Zim and I are desirous of some feedback on exactly how we will implement it into the game play. Just an idea, but even the CC logo could be made into a territory. Maybe even with some special feature or bonus. (just a side thought).

Anyways, This is Zims' map and his name will remain as THE Author. And know that everything is crossing his desk on this project. :D
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby sailorseal on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm

I like it but people seem to have problems with non-original maps
Cook sailorseal

Postby AAFitz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:44 pm

sully800 wrote:I like that effect!

But I also think World 2.1 is a fine map as it stands now. It would be better to pick an original idea to start and use that visual style than to revamp one of CC's favorite maps.

Yeah, its one of the most popular maps, and there are very few complaints...you will meet with much resistance trying to change what is now more classic, than the classic.

call it global war, or global conquest, or worldly battles...dont care..but world 2.1 is proven, and she is here to stay. :D
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:That map is (I think) the only one which uses vector graphics, and so it can be scaled infinitely. That makes it the only good prospect for a map you can print out and play at home. Since the cartographers don't draw maps like that these days, a revamp would kill that idea.
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
BaldAdonis wrote:That map is (I think) the only one which uses vector graphics, and so it can be scaled infinitely. That makes it the only good prospect for a map you can print out and play at home. Since the cartographers don't draw maps like that these days, a revamp would kill that idea.
Good point brother. Maybe it could be an addition rather than a replacement. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby fishydance on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:49 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Good point brother. Maybe it could be an addition rather than a replacement. 8-)

I do like your version, and that's saying a lot, because I'm a big fan of the World 2.1. Perhaps there is a way we could have both maps.
Major fishydance
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:50 pm

fishydance wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Good point brother. Maybe it could be an addition rather than a replacement. 8-)

I do like your version, and that's saying a lot, because I'm a big fan of the World 2.1. Perhaps there is a way we could have both maps.

whats the point
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby fishydance on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:22 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:whats the point

Just pondering if there is a way a new map could be made enough different to be worth making.
Major fishydance
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

cool first draft. I wish you good luck. You're right in the fact that CC needs a signature map. The shapes ain't doin it.
Private RjBeals

Postby ustus on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:28 pm

I like the way this looks so far, and I'm all for another big map. just tweak the gameplay a little to make it bigger yet, and i'd definitely support this!
Corporal ustus

Postby Mr Changsha on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 pm

Really keen on the new look.

I wonder if one or two very subtle gameplay changes might allow it to stand alone from 2.1 as a seperate map, while still managing to doff it's cap to the original?

If the gameplay is exactly the same, then I would suppose it comes down to whether the creator of the map, and the fans who play it, prefer the original or new look.

Not sure myself, but I would certainly enjoy playing a few games on porkenbeans' 2.2.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:56 pm

fishydance wrote:

thanks Angel fish. When I first approached the Signature map idea, I immediately thought of World 2.1. Since the loss of the classic, it has got to be CCs' most popular map. And face it, no other map, than a world map, would really work for a good Signature map. All the other sites have so-so maps, and while most do not have as many, none, including CC has got a real work of art as their showcase map. I am NOT a mapmaker, but I am an artist. I would love to try my hand at creating our showcase map. In my opinion, a world map is the only way to go. And since we have one already, I thought that I could team with Zim and polish up World 2.1. I have showed him my first draft of what I have in mind. He approves and wants me to keep him up to date on my progress. So this is basically a collaborative effort.

What I would really like to hear, is some constructive criticism on my vision on this project. What people like or do not like about it. Modesty aside, I believe that my first draft is better than any showcase map that I have seen on the web. I am positive that some spit and polish will produce the best Signature Map around. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:04 am

Mr Changsha wrote:Really keen on the new look.

I wonder if one or two very subtle gameplay changes might allow it to stand alone from 2.1 as a seperate map, while still managing to doff it's cap to the original?

If the gameplay is exactly the same, then I would suppose it comes down to whether the creator of the map, and the fans who play it, prefer the original or new look.

Not sure myself, but I would certainly enjoy playing a few games on porkenbeans' 2.2.
Thank you Chang. The game play is the same, but with an added continent. I do not think that a replacement is needed for World 2.1, just an addition like AOR for example. How many of them are there anyway ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:08 am

ustus wrote:I like the way this looks so far, and I'm all for another big map. just tweak the gameplay a little to make it bigger yet, and i'd definitely support this!
I can add boats, plains, cannons, the lost continent of Atlantis, or anything that we can get a census on.
I can even split the big territories into east and west or north and south to raise the count if that is preferred. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby miniwally on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 am

i'd prefer most of countries in world if possible
Private 1st Class miniwally

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am

miniwally wrote:i'd prefer most of countries in world if possible
Now that would be a WORLD map. Does anyone know how many there are ?

It would be a great challenge as some are so small. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas