Conquer Club

THE World Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

THE World Map

Postby ticalien on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:08 pm

After playing some rounds I'm craving a more demanding drawn out version of the game where more planning and strategy is involved. I came up with the idea that a World map comprised of created continets and countries would be an ideal solution to creating a challenging simulation of world dominance. I threw an image together using the maps that people have made already as a mock up and would like some of your input.

Some questions that I have:

- Would others have an interest in this?
- How would/should country and continent bonuses work?
- I was thinking small bonuses based on the current map setup and larger bonues once you conquer a continent completly.
- The map will likely need to be much larger than the current specs allow, would users mind scrolling to see the map?

Here's the image I threw together, please note this is only a mock up for what I'm talking about and is based on other users maps which I hope they don't mind me borrowing from.

http://thehorns.servepics.com/images/layout/worldmap.gif
Last edited by ticalien on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant ticalien

wow

Postby lilwdlnddude on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:12 pm

the games would be really long, but i would really like to play a game like this. it would be pretty awesome. but instead of putting everyones maps together, try to just use thoes maps as guidlines for your own huge map. this interests me a lot. its gonna take a while to make tho. :D :D
Dude you should totaly do it.
Captain lilwdlnddude

World domination

Postby Isquiesque on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:34 pm

It would take forever, but yes. I'd be jazzed to play this sort of map!
Cadet Isquiesque

Postby MrConfigT on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 pm

I'd help ya make it
Corporal 1st Class MrConfigT

Postby Jota on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:42 pm

I have no idea if I'd want to play on this map not. But it is truly a commendable madness, whether for good or for ill.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby kevinc on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:50 pm

If you're going to do something like this you'd be best off buying a vector map of the world. http://www.mapresources.com has vector maps with countries/regions/topography etc...

It'd make your life a lot easier.
Corporal kevinc

Postby qeee1 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:01 pm

That is nice... the only comment I'd make is that there could/should be over 6 players, given each of the maps is designed for 6 anyway... that's... lot's of players. 6n or something. It would be insane...
Colonel qeee1

Postby Isquiesque on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:26 pm

Hm, yeah. The more than 6 players idea is a good one for a map of this size.
Cadet Isquiesque

Postby Jota on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:30 pm

If there were more than six players, you'd probably be awfully spread out. The player who ended up with more than a couple contiguous countries would be at an even bigger advantage than he is now.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby ticalien on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:43 pm

The gameplay would be tricky espically with regard to the # of players, but I'd say that 6 would need to be the minimum amount. Additionally, there are a lot of questions to be answered regarding bonues and how they should work which I'd deem the main concern.
Sergeant ticalien

Postby Jota on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:54 pm

Nested "continents" seem like the most straightforward route. Normal-sized bonuses for claiming a sub-region, big bonuses for claiming a whole sub-map (like the US or Brazil), and huge bonuses for claiming a whole standard continent.

By the way, would it be possible to switch the image in the first post into a URL instead? It's making my browser scroll horizontally at this resolution.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby qeee1 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:08 pm

I'd say just two tiers of bonuses, three would get a bit much. You'd need to get more up before I could comment on the exact bonuses, but it's definately a very interesting and ambitious idea. And even though more than 6 players means you'd be more spread out and grant a somewhat unfair advantage, I don't think it'd be huge, and it'd be worth it.
Colonel qeee1

Postby thegrimsleeper on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:19 pm

Two things need to happen for this map to succeed--

1. Lack needs to allow more than 6 players on this one.

2. We're all gonna need to buy larger monitors. ;)

but seriously, folks...

You may want to create three or four different sizes, so that people can have an "at-a-glance" view of what the board looks like, and then zoom in for a larger view so they can actually read the names of the countries they're going to attack.

Also, you might want to wait for someone to do maps of South America and Russia so you don't have to do any real work for yourself... :P
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Pedronicus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:47 pm

its a map for a tournament.

and were all after that in the long run
Major Pedronicus

Postby kingwaffles on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 pm

Dude, this is great idea! It would be so sweet to have huge tourney games on this.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby Stoney229 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:16 am

looks great for team games
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby Mjolnirs on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:53 am

Since I've joined the site and the new maps keep coming out, I've had an idea along these lines. I know it isn't possible for every region, but imagine a game where if you attack the Middle East a seperate game opens up and you have to play the entire Middle East map to determine who owns that country on the World Map. At the rate new maps are coming out this could happen. What a game that would be.

In the opening distribution of armies you would have armies assigned to countries on the world map for countries not included in smaller maps (Central America, Venezuela ...), but within the smaller maps you have the armies assigned the same way. Everyone fights it out for control of the smaller map and that country is then assigned a proportional amount of armies on the World Map. When you attack a smaller map it opens and assigns armies between the two combatants based upon the number of armies on the world map.

Does this make sense or am I just rambling.
Sergeant 1st Class Mjolnirs

Real Class

Postby Scarus on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:09 pm

Jota wrote:I have no idea if I'd want to play on this map not. But it is truly a commendable madness, whether for good or for ill.

This is the best thread that I've seen on this site. I think that you guys are onto to something new, original, and intriguing. I really think that everything posted here makes sense, and will all work together. I don't think the map needs to be much bigger than the maps that we're using if you're able to click on the individual continents and have a larger view open up. I also think it would be cool if on the whole world view that owned territories would fill completely with the color of the player who owns it. That way even if you were focused, for the moment, on say, the asia map, you could tell at glance what was happening in the other contients by noticing say, that N. America was turning red, or black, or whatever.

More players, tournaments, doubles, triples, clan wars, all this makes since. A game like this would take a big committment, both for the developers and the players, but I think it would be a game with staying power. The people that play would come back again, and again. This could be kind of a Master Player's Map.

Did I already say that I love this thread.....lol This is like a rand corp think tank. Everyone putting on their thinking caps and throwing ideas back and forth. This thread, and the foundry subject in general, are reallly bringing out the best in all of the participants.

My hat's off to you guys. This is real class.

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby Machiavelli on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:31 pm

This is a brilliant idea.

I think this map will be an istant success. Keep working on it.

One thing to add though is that there is a map off australia being produced which could be added to your map.
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:36 pm

There is an Australian map currently being worked on, a link to the thread located here:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702

Edit: and I feel that most of the geographic maps that have been and are currently being produced have a similar feel, which is good. One exception, the Middle East map distinctly stands out from all the others....

Double Edit: After careful thought (and general scanning of the forums) I remembered Lack might introduce a 1 hour limit for turns to scatter the holders. Now, if a map this big ever did come into actual play, and the 1 hour turn limit come into effect, I'm thinking this would be a little problem. If all of those events did occur, I would have to suggest that this map have a special, longer time limit of at least an hour or more.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby zorba_ca on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Two things:

#1 I will be happy to review the .xml code to ensure proper territorial borders. This is big undertaking and needs to get done right.

#2 For the most realistic World Map, we should include all independently ruled countries and territories. The UN is currently at 191 members. There is a good World Map on their site, as well as the CIA World Fact Book.
Major zorba_ca

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:29 pm

With my understandings the World Map was going to be more of a basis on the maps that have been produced here in CC, rather than a realistic world map. But I could be wrong.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mjolnirs on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:28 pm

I'm thinking along the same lines as Andy. But, the whole world map that zorba is mentioning would be a great game too.
Sergeant 1st Class Mjolnirs

Postby john123 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:41 pm

this looks great would take weeks to play but would still be brilliant, especially for team/clan games,
Sergeant 1st Class john123

Not me.

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:25 pm

I can't speak for any of the other mapmakers, but I do not condone the use of my map for this project. You can rip off my structure til doomsday, but if you're going to do this, I think it should truly be a map unto itself, and not just an amalgamation of everyone else's hard work.

Zorba's idea of using a UN map is right on the money. I'd be happy to share my knowledge of Photoshop, if you need help in that department.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas