Conquer Club

Bizzarre Map Ideas

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Bizzarre Map Ideas

Postby Backglass on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:30 pm

Just some random ideas to encourage discussion:

• Territories that if you auto-attack and conquer them, you get to keep your enemy's armies. Would it work? Maybe not as they would always be getting larger.
  • Nuetral countries that multiple players can occupy at the same time. But how would you win? I dont know.
  • Weather patterns that affect the dice? Similar to the radiation plus/minus is USA-Apocolyse? Maybe they change every round?
  • Territories that are infected/possesed/cursed/etc? Meaning that they might give a good bonus but every turn some armies die off?
  • Random teleportation/worm hole territories? Every new round some territories armies shuffle about?
  • Tides that change dis-allowing attacks at high tide. ie:Brazil cant attack North Africa during high-tide.
  • Nukes? Air bombing?

Stupid ideas? Probably. Just a stream of concienceness.

Others?
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 am

Think this should go in suggestions. Lack needs to change things if this is to work i believe.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby casper on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:52 am

Creative but overall I'm not sure how practical or feasible any of these would be...especially the ones that involve the map changing over time.
Major casper

Re: Bizzarre Map Ideas

Postby Zackismet on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Backglass wrote:
  • Territories that if you auto-attack and conquer them, you get to keep your enemy's armies. Would it work? Maybe not as they would always be getting larger.
  • Nuetral countries that multiple players can occupy at the same time. But how would you win? I dont know.
  • Weather patterns that affect the dice? Similar to the radiation plus/minus is USA-Apocolyse? Maybe they change every round?
  • Territories that are infected/possesed/cursed/etc? Meaning that they might give a good bonus but every turn some armies die off?
  • Random teleportation/worm hole territories? Every new round some territories armies shuffle about?
  • Tides that change dis-allowing attacks at high tide. ie:Brazil cant attack North Africa during high-tide.
  • Nukes? Air bombing?

Stupid ideas? Probably. Just a stream of concienceness.

Others?

So... in respect to the list-

• Wouldn't work, the entire reason a territory is conquered is because you defeated all of your opponent's armies.
  • what?? you mean the same territory ?? Because i can't see that's just... not possible. If you means bonus', then that's easy.. it's in the 2.0 map..
  • There are strongholds or whatever that do do that, they add +1 to the higest die roll... but it would be interesting if they affected die rolls randomly... but people already get mad enough at the dice as it is.
  • you just mentioned the Apocolypse map... and again- if it was random too many people would just think it's unfair to them- whether they control the area or not
  • that conpletely gets rid of strategic fortifications... especially in game w/ adjacent or chained. I really couldn't care less about unlimited.
  • that is acutally very interesting... and it doesn't have to be limited to coastal areas... :idea:
  • no... then it wouldn't matter where you were stationed and people could just bomb the hell out of your unprotected inner territories in a Bonus Area. even if it's adjacent... why not just give them a bunch of armies instead? oh, wait- we already do - cards and bonus'

Highest rank: 96
Colonel Zackismet

Postby Backglass on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:59 pm

Zackismet wrote:you just mentioned the Apocolypse map... and again- if it was random too many people would just think it's unfair to them- whether they control the area or not

Actually my thinking wasnt random, but a variation on the Apocolypse idea. Picture a key-territory that is "infected". Every turn, 2 armies die and are removed from that territory only. This would be unlike Apacolypse where you recieve positive/negative bonuses do distribute.

Zackismet wrote:no... then it wouldn't matter where you were stationed and people could just bomb the hell out of your unprotected inner territories in a Bonus Area.

You mean like in a real war? ;)
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.

Postby zarvinny on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 pm

i think most folks that have been around the map foundry for too long begin to grow fond of the same ol' ideas, bonus counts, etc.

Some of these ideas are good, if they can be implemented fairly.

also, i have a semi-strange idea:How about having a map that has some small countries (like S.A. for example) be worth a lot of bonus men, and big countries not worth as many (1-3).

You see, once somebody captures say South America, people think, oh its just 2 armies... but those 2 armies add up. However, when somebody is trying to hold Europe, lets say, nobody is going to let them cause its a Whooping 5 ARMIES! OMG

so, my idea is have smaller countries with 2 or so borders be easily accessible (i.e. in the middle of the map) and be worth alot of men. Nobody wants to let someone hold a country with a bonus of 4 of 5, so they'll do their best to destroy it, while those people who after many rounds defeat their enemies in that big country, people won't necessarily come after them, since they are only receiving 1-3 armies a turn.

I believe it will change how the game is played and what is worth more and such.
Lieutenant zarvinny

Postby Forza AZ on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:19 am

Backglass wrote:Actually my thinking wasnt random, but a variation on the Apocolypse idea. Picture a key-territory that is "infected". Every turn, 2 armies die and are removed from that territory only. This would be unlike Apacolypse where you recieve positive/negative bonuses do distribute.

I don't think that would work, because nobody will be placing more than 1 army on that territory, to prevent losing armies (I assume you can't get less than 1 army even with your idea(?)).
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah, Forza, that should be placed in border countries or there is no point.

zarvinny wrote:You see, once somebody captures say South America, people think, oh its just 2 armies... but those 2 armies add up. However, when somebody is trying to hold Europe, lets say, nobody is going to let them cause its a Whooping 5 ARMIES! OMG

so, my idea is have smaller countries with 2 or so borders be easily accessible (i.e. in the middle of the map) and be worth alot of men. Nobody wants to let someone hold a country with a bonus of 4 of 5, so they'll do their best to destroy it, while those people who after many rounds defeat their enemies in that big country, people won't necessarily come after them, since they are only receiving 1-3 armies a turn.

^^^^^^ Worst idea ever, except for the guy that starts with 3 of 4 South America territories and can conquer it in turn 1, like me in this game:
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=126910
"oh, its just 2 armies" << only poor players think this way
And people really wont after the player that wasted many armies to get Asia, when it gives only 2. That player is lost already, IF he survived to this point, assuming the other that had SA with a bonus of 5 could most probably kill him easily.
Really, something would be different: you get SA, and all people would start an alliance against you, or in 3 turns they couldnt beat you. :?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Backglass on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:17 pm

Forza AZ wrote:
Backglass wrote:Actually my thinking wasnt random, but a variation on the Apocolypse idea. Picture a key-territory that is "infected". Every turn, 2 armies die and are removed from that territory only. This would be unlike Apacolypse where you recieve positive/negative bonuses do distribute.

I don't think that would work, because nobody will be placing more than 1 army on that territory, to prevent losing armies (I assume you can't get less than 1 army even with your idea(?)).

It would have to be balanced with a positive. For example, you need the "infected territory" to get a nice continent bonus. There would have to be a nice payoff to hold such an obvious army drain. I think it could work.

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:22 pm

just since soomeone posted a topic about bizzare maps, how about ones that are split into two types of battle. with land battles but also with navel ones to control fortification and attaking routs

if navel couldn't attack land and land couldnt attack sea
territories you can only attack if you have your navy conecting you, say between britain and ireland
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas