Conquer Club

Map of European Cities

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map of European Cities

Postby sully800 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Did someone just post this in the Benelux forums?! That's a lot of sudden support from one specific group! :lol:

Don't worry too much about graphics at this stage, because you need to develop the gameplay first. I agree with some earlier posts that your bonus regions are pretty hard to hold at the moment. But don't just reduce the number of territories, because we have plenty of maps in the 42 territory range. Instead, increase the number of bonus regions and keep about the same number of cities. Maps with lots of relatively easy bonuses are a lot of fun because there are many good places to start!

So Benelux would be a good region to add. I would also definitely split up Scandinavia into Finland/Sweden/Norway. Even some small regions like Portugal or Greece could be split off. Then you should look into dividing up Russia in some way because it is currently a pretty massive region.
Major sully800

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 am

woot!
more benelux territs we can hold!
and yes, its a common failure that when we see the" hey is amsterdam not the capital of germany: BOO bandwagon we benelux people like to ride.. Although i think each person above me had a valid point. Its just that most of use do read all the posts, but the really interesting ones, we give a quicklink to our members to read.. The responding to it is entirely our own fault
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Scania N113 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:07 am

Wow! Seems everyone wants the same change! Ok, I promise all of you that in my next update I will makr a specific bonus area called "BeNeLux"! Thank you for all of your support!
Colonel Scania N113

Postby 69Chevy on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:11 am

sully800 wrote:Did someone just post this in the Benelux forums?! That's a lot of sudden support from one specific group! :lol:

:-$
Tonight tonight the strip’s just right, I wanna blow `em off in my first heat
Summer’s here and the time is right, We’re goin’ racin’ in the street.....
Sergeant 1st Class 69Chevy

Postby Iron Maid on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:39 am

sully800 wrote:Did someone just post this in the Benelux forums?!

Mein Name ist Hase, ich weiss von nichts. :-^

[My name is haze, I white from nothing]

Thanks Scania for considering to change it. We Dutchmen are already disappointed that our region is called Belgium on the Europe map. ;)
Major Iron Maid
SoC Training Adviser

Postby frankiebee on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:54 am

Scania N113 wrote:Wow! Seems everyone wants the same change! Ok, I promise all of you that in my next update I will makr a specific bonus area called "BeNeLux"! Thank you for all of your support!

You Rock ! =D>
Colonel frankiebee

Postby MarVal on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:33 am

Iron Maid wrote:We Dutchmen are already disappointed that our region is called Belgium on the Europe map. ;)

Totally AGREE on that one :cry:

Thanks Scania for considering to change it =D>

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby 69Chevy on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Scania >>> =D>

And by the way ; Happy Birthday :mrgreen:
Tonight tonight the strip’s just right, I wanna blow `em off in my first heat
Summer’s here and the time is right, We’re goin’ racin’ in the street.....
Sergeant 1st Class 69Chevy

Postby Koganosi on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm

I agree with changing it.

urs

Koganosi.
Major Koganosi

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Scania, good start with this one also.
1. The balck text is almost illegible in the legend and some CAPS for capitals.
2. i can hardly discern the white around the Warsaw ring
3, Can't read what the yellow ring around SBX? is supposed to respresent
4. the line between Rome and Naples,,,i had to look really hard to find it,,,perhaps move it north or south of the coastline there
5. i know you've done the geopgrahic layout probably almost to scale. But as with my Rail Europe map, in order to get everything in the map and have and enough eye-real estate between stuff to make the map look good, i had to consider expanding the map itself within the frame...perhaps with this grab the left edges and move them left into some of that real estate thta the legend is not using so well. The map will still look like Europe is will simeply be more wider than taller. :) Adn this will give you enough space to relay the text for good spacing.
6. for design, i would look at adding some of the more and lesser known icons of the capitals and incorporating them into the edges with appropriate frame work.
7. also consider moving some of the legend into that large space above MOW and using that wisely.
See how you might like some of that, and i'll look in again later and see how you're going. :)
Keep up the good work.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby shakeycat on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:05 pm

The green colour for Yugoslavia's words is unreadable on the blue water background. Either change the colour of the text, background, or add some glow/shadow effect to the text there.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Since the World Cities map was(is) a clone of the original gameplay of the Classic map, I think a way to go here would be to look at another time honored version of our... beloved game:

Click image to enlarge.

Some aspects can't be replicated because of the different cards involved.

Other aspects such as choosing a capital and if taken you automatically lose isn't possible in the current XML. This map is also originally a Napoleonic era map and there is already a map of that in the drafting room. Obviously gameplay for this can't be the same, but you can try to implement as much as possible and setup territory connections similarly to the above map, and it gives you a good basic layout to build from.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:40 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas