Classic Map Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Map Revamped

Postby mikamoyo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 am

You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!
Corporal 1st Class mikamoyo

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby mikamoyo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:53 am

Feel like im playing Chutes and Ladders with my child!
Corporal 1st Class mikamoyo

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby skeletonboy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am

mikamoyo wrote:You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!

If you were in the foundry to give suggestions, you could have asked for something different. Go to the bug reports/suggestions forum and ask for shapes as an option.

I doubt that any of the people that are complaining even looked in the foundry in the long time that it was being developed. If you dont look in the forums, dont complain when there's a change you dont like.
Corporal 1st Class skeletonboy

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby niMic on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:25 pm

It looks nice, but it could easily be confusing for newbies. Some colour coding is needed.
Highest score: 3379
Highest rank: 36
Colonel niMic

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (17)

Postby impassive on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:12 pm

skeletonboy wrote:
mikamoyo wrote:You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!

If you were in the foundry to give suggestions, you could have asked for something different. Go to the bug reports/suggestions forum and ask for shapes as an option.

I doubt that any of the people that are complaining even looked in the foundry in the long time that it was being developed. If you dont look in the forums, dont complain when there's a change you dont like.

This is a terrible sentiment. CC members should be able to voice an opinion at any time, subject to forum rules. NOT to beat something to death, of course. But 'you snoozed, you lost' just doesn't cut it.
Brigadier impassive

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby sully800 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:13 pm

impassive wrote:
skeletonboy wrote:

This is a terrible sentiment. CC members should be able to voice an opinion at any time, subject to forum rules. NOT to beat something to death, of course. But 'you snoozed, you lost' just doesn't cut it.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome, but at this stage suggestions carry much less power than during the actual development of the thread. The revamp was announced across the entire site, and many members helped during the development process to give opinions and suggestions on how to improve the map. Once the community was satisfied with the development this was the product. I know that not everyone is willing/able to participate in the map making process, but that is truly the best way to help improve the maps that are being made. Just the same, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism - it's impossible to please everyone, but it seems like most posters so far prefer the new map.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Good change,now its only left to remove 6 medals for creating disaster Clasic Art map,because for this map nobody deserve medal.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby impassive on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 pm

sully800 wrote:
impassive wrote:
skeletonboy wrote:

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome, but at this stage suggestions carry much less power than during the actual development of the thread. The revamp was announced across the entire site, and many members helped during the development process to give opinions and suggestions on how to improve the map. Once the community was satisfied with the development this was the product. I know that not everyone is willing/able to participate in the map making process, but that is truly the best way to help improve the maps that are being made. Just the same, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism - it's impossible to please everyone, but it seems like most posters so far prefer the new map.

The difference being that two non-beta maps that some members are fond of were retired at the same time, replaced mid-game. That was a jolt that made some members perk up who otherwise wouldn't have payed any attention.
Brigadier impassive

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:36 pm

qwert wrote:Good change,now its only left to remove 6 medals for creating disaster Clasic Art map,because for this map nobody deserve medal.

Get over it.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby K-dub on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:54 pm

not bad at all...i like it...the lines can be a little crazy but it will take either a 2 year-old or a true idiot to getconfused over it...so i say congrats to the maker of this...u done pretty good!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class K-dub

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby wacicha on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm

You could join the society but not list any games. email me
Major wacicha
Retired Team Member

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Doug Lindeman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.
Cook Doug Lindeman

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby danfrank on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 pm

Doug Lindeman wrote:Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.

your rediculous..classic is the original R,,, Map.. 2.1 if i remember correctly was only featured on the playstation version..
Sergeant danfrank

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby dyrtydog on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:44 am

danfrank wrote:
Doug Lindeman wrote:Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.

your rediculous..classic is the original R,,, Map.. 2.1 if i remember correctly was only featured on the playstation version..

drunk again i see....happy new year :sick:

maps owned: WWII Iwo Jima, Iberia, San Francisco
tournaments won: Jojo's Midyears Resolution Revolution
Lieutenant dyrtydog
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 59
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (14)
Training Achievement (2)

Postby Vitani on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:40 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
impassive wrote:
b00060 wrote:The new map is ok, but it should be added as an option, not replacing Classic Shapes. BRING BACK CLASSIC SHAPES!

I know the decision has been made, but I can't see the down side of keeping classic shapes and classic art available for play. I'll miss them.

The downside has been discussed in various other topics---since they all use the same game play, it creates multiple unnecessary entries for the server databases to keep track of. Streamlining everything into 1 map option is more efficient.

--Andy

Efficienty is never more important than usability. Classic-Shapes (while ugly) was simple, and a great way to learn how to play on CC. After reading this whole thread, I still think it should be brought back, even if it was a stat-less map or something like that.

PS. In the future, if you're going to change a core map like this again, may I recommend that you post a link on games which are being played on said map to the forum thread discussing the changes. I posted my feelings on the changes in the thread, but I can imagine many, many people come here to play, and never read the news or forums and you may upset many (paying!) customers (again).
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:47 am

What a bunch of moaning gits.

I can't believe I'm seeing people complaining that classic shapes has been replaced with this new map.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby perchorin on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:57 am

Pedronicus wrote:What a bunch of moaning gits.

I can't believe I'm seeing people complaining that classic shapes has been replaced with this new map.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby stringybeany on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:24 am

perchorin wrote:
Pedronicus wrote:What a bunch of moaning gits.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.

no worries...the whiners will go away soon enough
Weak kill shots in esc = Loser
Mind your troop count and look ahead!
Major stringybeany

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:31 am

skeletonboy wrote:

Don't bother; I suggested leaving shapes as an option several times in the foundry. Lack vetoed that. Instead, he's allowed those in the SoC to see some sort of shapes overlay, but only those in the SoC.
Sergeant 1st Class stahrgazer

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 am

K-dub wrote:not bad at all...i like it...the lines can be a little crazy but it will take either a 2 year-old or a true idiot to getconfused over it...so i say congrats to the maker of this...u done pretty good!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I'm neither 2, nor an idiot, and the new map confuses me.

The arcs aren't directional; regions are only identified by tiny colors (woe be to the fully colorblind); and my eyes go wonky when looking at all those brightly shining attack-route arcs that look like Joshua's War Game attacks (although since Joshua's starting map did not use a semi-monochromatic colorscheme for every region, and did clearly outline countries - unlike this map - reading the map on War Games was easier.) "What War Games?" Matthew Broderick move from the '80s.
Sergeant 1st Class stahrgazer

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby karelpietertje on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 pm

=D>
Major karelpietertje

Medals: 61
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Wellspring on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:53 pm

New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...
Major Wellspring

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Wellspring wrote:New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...

The gameplay is 100% identical to the previous maps.
Cadet Optimus Prime
Retired Administrator

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby sully800 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
Wellspring wrote:New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...

The gameplay is 100% identical to the previous maps.

I believe he maps actually playing on the map as opposed to just looking at it. Thanks everyone for feedback - I really am listening to the negative complaints, but the cities will remain connected by lines and the continents cannot be changed to distinct colored regions.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Wellspring on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm

I'd like to rescind my earlier complaint. I've had the chance to play on it more, and the new map doesn't play bad, it just takes a little getting used to. I think it's an adequate replacement for classic art / shapes imo. Nice job sully, lackattack, and everyone else who contributed.
Major Wellspring

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives