Web Developer appointed

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Media Team, Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Web Developer appointed

Postby Leehar on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 am

porkenbeans wrote:Welcome aboard matey.
I would make a suggestion that you play under a different name. That way, you can eliminate all of the ass-kissing, and get straight to uncovering CC's problem areas.

It would be kinda weird if the new admin started his career by breaking the first rule of CC...
show
Brigadier Leehar
Clan Director
Clan Director

Medals: 135
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (23) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) General Contribution (9)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Leehar wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Welcome aboard matey.
I would make a suggestion that you play under a different name. That way, you can eliminate all of the ass-kissing, and get straight to uncovering CC's problem areas.

It would be kinda weird if the new admin started his career by breaking the first rule of CC...
HaHa, The CC gamers career is one thing, and the developers career is another. Do not mistake the difference. The developer is not here to advance his rank or win medals. He is here to help make CC a more professional, and smoother running site.

Lack and crew have created a great site here, and they have done it with unpaid volunteers. Which is pretty amazing =D> , but face it, not that professional. When you have mods that are also players, you end up with, well lets just say, a conflict of interests. Also, by using non-professionals to run the site, you can not expect to build a truly above board, clean and honest site. Not that the volunteers are not trying to do their best, it's just that they are not professionally trained in the field of customer relations, mediation, policing, and all of the various skills, that are necessary to operate a professional gaming site.

I have been a member here for almost three years, and I have seen countless threads that can be studied by the new developer, that would help him to acclimate and understand better, just what the main issues are.

My suggestion is that the community post links to these threads here. I think that it would help him from having to wade through miles of text, to find out the lay of the land. Then he could just wade through the most important, and relevant text here.

I have always lobbied for anything, that would go to make CC more professional. And have on more than one occasion, been on the front lines of various battles, on these issues.

I am very happy, and consider this move as a WIN. I predict that we will see a few changes around here, and I predict that not all of the changes will be well received by everyone. But I also predict that in the end, CC will be greatly improved. Otherwise, lack would have wasted his money.

I for one, will be happy to help our new sheriff, in anyway that I can. :D

PS. if you do post links as I have suggested, please just give the link, and NOT a mile of dialog that argues the issue. ...Put that in the respective thread. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Newtonboy has been getting briefed and up-to-speed by the Admin Team. In time, he'll know CC's ins and outs. :D

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:24 pm

When you have mods that are also players, you end up with, well lets just say, a conflict of interests.

Sounds like you're accusing mods of abusing their powers.

Also, by using non-professionals to run the site, you can not expect to build a truly above board

Can you think of a better site? Volunteers running the site is what makes CC great. All the mods & other Team CC members are players who initially came to this site to play the game, just like everyone else, they're part of the community. They do it for the love of the game, love of the site. You want to replace that with some bussiness suit geeks who only look forward to their next paycheck? Why?

clean and honest site.

CC has no more problems with cheaters than any other online gaming site I've been on. You think some paid worker could keep people from cheating? Dream on. People will always find ways to cheat. At least the CC staff does an awesome job busting these cheaters. All I can say on the matter is, you only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to busted cheaters & multies.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:10 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Newtonboy has been getting briefed and up-to-speed by the Admin Team. In time, he'll know CC's ins and outs. :D

--Andy
I am sure that he is. ;)

All that I am saying, is that sooner or later, he will naturally start having to wade through some issues that have been batted around for years. I thought that it would be a benefit to Newtonboy, if he had a list that contained the most hottest, and debated issues. I know that if I were him I would like to have available that list of threads.

natty,
I already stated that I am not advocating for any debates to be argued here. My suggestion clearly explains that I am only offering the suggestion, that this would be a great place for members to post links to the threads, that they feel are the most relevant, and useful, to our new Web Developer. :P
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:42 am

porkenbeans wrote:All that I am saying, is that sooner or later, he will naturally start having to wade through some issues that have been batted around for years. I thought that it would be a benefit to Newtonboy, if he had a list that contained the most hottest, and debated issues. I know that if I were him I would like to have available that list of threads.

Not necessarily. He could just be the workhorse who codes whatever lack tells him to code. Lack and the other admins could do the deciding and sifting through community comments and relay those factors to newton as he plans and implements his code.
Captain Night Strike

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:50 am

Yeah, it sounds like porkenbeans is confusing "web developer" with "business consult"... I hope you're not placing too much expectations on the poor guy. I got the impression he's just here to do programming, not redesigning the whole concept of CC... So let's just wait and see what comes, and if people have suggestions they want implemented, they can post them on the suggestions forum as always.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I am not confusing the two natty. My understanding is that a "Web Developer" describes someone that builds the framework for a web site. He may do all of the coding, or he may hire code writers, to help him with the grunt work.

I suspect that you are probably right about this new guys duties. He is most likely being payed, to help with the grunt work, of coding the enormous back-load of updates and improvements, that have already been approved of, by our overworked leader.

This makes more sense as I think about it more. Although, with the recent muscle flexing by Hasbro, He could very well be here for other reasons. Something that requires a Web Developer, and requires more, than just a simple code writing task.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm

The web developer is here to assist with the development of the website. Community management is (I suspect) not part of his remit :P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby killerpit4e on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 am

Welcome to the team
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby TeeGee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:12 am

whatever happened to newtonboy

and who is this new admin sw0rdf!sh

??
Sergeant TeeGee
Head Global Moderator
Head Global Moderator

Medals: 59
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (7)

Postby Dako on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:15 am

Yikes, you were not supposed to notice it!
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (21) General Contribution (20)

Postby TeeGee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:26 am

Dako wrote:Yikes, you were not supposed to notice it!

I see nothing :-$
Sergeant TeeGee
Head Global Moderator
Head Global Moderator

Medals: 59
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (7)

Postby caymanmew on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:21 am

i saw it like weeks ago
high score 3185
Major caymanmew

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (17)

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:50 pm

this is like a soap opera.

What is this group? The normal Global Moderators group is here.
Actually, it won't even let me link to the weird group :shock: . Go to sw0rdf!sh's profile and click on the Global Moderators Usergroup, it is not the same as the normal Global Moderators Usergroup which is linked at the end of the first sentence.

The fake Global Moderators Group is the Administrators (including sw0rdf!sh). Here is the normal Administrators page, as I said it's the same as the fake Global Moderators in all but the name.

So for whatever reason those guys need two groups, fine, doesn't really matter. Worse is that the admins clearly allowed newtonboy to create a new account (sw0rdf!sh). newtonboy's last login was approximately 2 hours after the sw0rdf!sh account was created, and they're both from the Philippines, there are only 18 active players from the Philippines.

Apparently the newtonboy account was being hounded too much by the community. So you're response is to break all of your own rules, and think you're going to get away with it by not coloring sw0rdf!sh's name or giving him a banner on his profile page, then not even granting a response (other than "you aren't supposed to know") when someone figures it out :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Postby Ace Rimmer on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:53 pm

sorry, but you didn't figure out the truth. Good guess, but not right.
Captain Ace Rimmer

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby caymanmew on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm

jakewilliams wrote:sorry, but you didn't figure out the truth. Good guess, but not right.

is swordfish not newtonboys sister?
high score 3185
Major caymanmew

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (17)

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 pm

jakewilliams wrote:sorry, but you didn't figure out the truth. Good guess, but not right.

is that right? Then why is there a new admin without a red name or admin tag who has supposedly been there for weeks, and why has the new web developer been taken off of admin status AND why has he not logged on in 3 weeks?

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:33 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:

is that right? Then why is there a new admin without a red name or admin tag who has supposedly been there for weeks, and why has the new web developer been taken off of admin status AND why has he not logged on in 3 weeks?

In the past, new admins have joined the admin group without immediately being announced and colored. This is so they can get a feel for the site without having to be bombarded by the community before it's necessary. newtonboy and swordfish (I'm not doing the l33t spelling) are indeed two different people (although I've met neither).
Captain Night Strike

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:

In the past, new admins have joined the admin group without immediately being announced and colored. This is so they can get a feel for the site without having to be bombarded by the community before it's necessary. newtonboy and swordfish (I'm not doing the l33t spelling) are indeed two different people (although I've met neither).

so newtonboy quit after less than a month, that's gonna be an interesting thread to watch

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 am

I will cherish his one post forever.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:35 pm

jrh_cardinal should be given a medal for Jumping to Conclusions.

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:41 pm

natty_dread wrote:jrh_cardinal should be given a medal for Jumping to Conclusions.

thank you natty :D

the only reason I'm jumping to conclusions so much is this:
TeeGee wrote:whatever happened to newtonboy

??

I figured if I made assertions you guys would have to give me at least some sort of an answer. It kind of worked, though not as well as I'd hoped ;)

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:50 am

lackattack wrote:As promised last month we have appointed a Web Developer to work full time on programming and designing Conquer Club. Well, newtonboy is in the house and is anxious to get started, so please give him a warm welcome. Today he is studying the website and playing a few games as part of his training, but tomorrow he will begin work on making improvements and adding new features.

Good luck newtonboy and welcome to Conquer Club :P

I'm looking forward to some stuff from newtonboy. Anything out there in the works, newtonboy?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby jaimito101 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:
natty_dread wrote:jrh_cardinal should be given a medal for Jumping to Conclusions.

thank you natty :D

the only reason I'm jumping to conclusions so much is this:
TeeGee wrote:whatever happened to newtonboy

??

I figured if I made assertions you guys would have to give me at least some sort of an answer. It kind of worked, though not as well as I'd hoped ;)

well yeah i agree, though dako was probably kidding with his remark, it looks like this ëxperiment didn't go well one way or the other. no posts, no updates with newtonboy's name on it, and no admin telling us we are incorrect about his leaving or defending him.

also having him only take 86% of his turns as an admin is not quite right one way or the other.
Colonel jaimito101

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives