Conquer Club

Improved Army Printing

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Improved Army Printing

Postby Caymanmew on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Complain, complain, complain... why am I not surprised? Nobody on this site has ever appreciated the absolute bargain they have, nor the face that there is nowhere else on the internet that provides a product as polished as this one for playing this game, despite the little hiccups that occur with updates from time to time.

Get a clue everyone. You won't find anything better, so why keep bitching and moaning?

now that your a normal member you expected to bitch with us
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 pm

caymanmew wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:Complain, complain, complain... why am I not surprised? Nobody on this site has ever appreciated the absolute bargain they have, nor the face that there is nowhere else on the internet that provides a product as polished as this one for playing this game, despite the little hiccups that occur with updates from time to time.

Get a clue everyone. You won't find anything better, so why keep bitching and moaning?

I'm a normal member for a reason. I got tired of dealing with all the bitching and moaning this community does. Yes, I may have found other full-time work, but I certainly could have still found the time to make things work here, but the payoff wasn't worth it.

You can't pay me enough to deal with the crap you guys spew all day.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby danfrank on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Well the lag on the hive map is horrible... This map is now UNPLAYABLE :|
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby Caymanmew on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 pm

danfrank wrote:Well the lag on the hive map is horrible... This map is now UNPLAYABLE :|

it's to big
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
caymanmew wrote:

I'm a normal member for a reason. I got tired of dealing with all the bitching and moaning this community does. Yes, I may have found other full-time work, but I certainly could have still found the time to make things work here, but the payoff wasn't worth it.

You can't pay me enough to deal with the crap you guys spew all day.

OP same thing from you every time. Please do not try to defend what was released with bugs. It does no good to defend it, but rather help look for solutions so we can all be happy and move forward. I do not know how to fix this one, and I assume it will be a task to totally get right, but it can be done and once done the update will be great as intended.

P.S. Without the community there is no CC. It is a give and take.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby danfrank on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Bruceswar wrote:

P.S. Without the community there is no CC. It is a give and take.

=D> =D>
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby Qyu on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am

Despite all this problem, the idea of use text and css for show armies instead of big generate img is a good idea. Keep it.
it's greatly reduce load of server (bandwith AND cpu). But on the other hand, the multiplication of DOM element could kneel down low config and old client computer.

But Bruceswar was right. Maybe you could remove temporally the improvement (or make an option for user, like you did when you developed ajax for CC), and during this time, with a team of tester, who could feedback with many different OS+browser couple+config, you test and make a real good update, like we say in France : 'aux petits oignons' ;)
Colonel Qyu

Postby pamoa on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 am

Qyu wrote:Despite all this problem, the idea of use text and css for show armies instead of big generate img is a good idea. Keep it.
it's greatly reduce load of server (bandwith AND cpu). But on the other hand, the multiplication of DOM element could kneel down low config and old client computer.

But Bruceswar was right. Maybe you could remove temporally the improvement (or make an option for user, like you did when you developed ajax for CC), and during this time, with a team of tester, who could feedback with many different OS+browser couple+config, you test and make a real good update, like we say in France : 'aux petits oignons' ;)

please do so

it would be "au poil" (nice, perfect) ;)
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Dako on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 am

Yes, armies as text+css is a good idea.

But I think either focused test group (normal testing, not 1 week before the release when people don't have time for that) or optional update (like Qyu said) should be mandatory.

Also, most of the breaks come from BOB/CM users (and other script users) so you need to think about investing more in such tools (like make it a part of CC or aid developers in some way). Most of the complaints surely comes from plugins - "Aaaa, my clickies have gone wrong I lost a game because of it. You are bs site, I hate you all". And the problem is that you are not responsible of something you do not own or support. Time to change it?
Colonel Dako

Postby TheSaxlad on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:22 am

Dako wrote:Yes, armies as text+css is a good idea.

But I think either focused test group (normal testing, not 1 week before the release when people don't have time for that) or optional update (like Qyu said) should be mandatory.

Also, most of the breaks come from BOB/CM users (and other script users) so you need to think about investing more in such tools (like make it a part of CC or aid developers in some way). Most of the complaints surely comes from plugins - "Aaaa, my clickies have gone wrong I lost a game because of it. You are bs site, I hate you all". And the problem is that you are not responsible of something you do not own or support. Time to change it?

I agree with Dako. As a clickies user myself even I have complained about clickies not working. ( No ones perfect) But rather than complaining we should eithe rdo two things.

1.Learn not just to rely on add-ons(Drop down boxes are at the bottom of the screen)
2. Help The add-on developer to sort out the problems.

Machines are prone to breaking but can be fixed. So lets get on and fix this without whinging and moaning at lack, andy, and all the mods.

:)
Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby Dako on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:46 am

The problem is... plugins maintainers also have real life and sometimes they cannot find time to fix their plugins in real time manner.
Colonel Dako

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 am

Looks like an important change in the way clickable maps no longer work
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:20 am

DJ Teflon wrote:Looks like an important change in the way clickable maps no longer work

Update the new version, and make sure Firefox is fully updated, it works fine after that
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 am

I think you're over reacting a little bit here. As I read through this thread there is some complaing-that happens with changes. For the most part though what I'm seeing is a reporting of problems. Its communication back and forth for if there are problems is it not better to know about them and what they are so they can be corrected. Most of what I read has not been in the complaint mode but rather in the mode of -OK here's what I'm seeing that you might want to look at getting fixed.

I once read a note from a wise businessman who said that his best customers are the ones who complained. Those who didn't complain didn't come back. Those who complained were trying to help make the business better for everyone and really had the best interest of the business at heart.

Obviously you come at this from a different viewpoint because your position in CC made you the centerpiece of every complaint that came up and that's hard but I fear its skewed your perceptions here a little. I respect where you're coming from with that but would encourage you to look at it through a different lens. If you look for complaints you can find them and when there are only two of you to field them you can feel barraged and see them in everything even if they aren't always there.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 am

Though more of a side note than strictly on Improved Army Printing---complaints are welcome, provided that the end goal of the complaint is to improve, better, or somehow progress the website. Since that is what we all want---a damn good website.

I see feedback about Updates as comparable to the Scientific Method---any data is good data, even if it is not what we expected, hoped for, or wanted. Because we can all then use that data, in accumulation, moving forward towards a progression we can all be happy about.

But back on topic, Lackattack is looking over some additional tweaking possibilities, and the Tech Team is helping out as much as they are able to. Keep an eye out for his update posts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ljex on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 pm

danfrank wrote:Well the lag on the hive map is horrible... This map is now UNPLAYABLE :|

I found it unplayable before the change due to lag and the fact that it takes 30 min to find the best move for the first 20 rounds
Major ljex

Postby lackattack on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm

UDPATE: Performance is greatly improved now that it only redraws armies that actually changed during your turn. The Hive and other large maps should be much more playable now.

Also, I tweaked the font some more, should look better in Opera.

I am looking into a solution for people who have their browser "zoomed in" so that the outlines remain drawn properly around the numbers...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby phantomzero on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 pm

lackattack wrote:UDPATE: Performance is greatly improved now that it only redraws armies that actually changed during your turn. The Hive and other large maps should be much more playable now.

I am looking into a solution for people who have their browser "zoomed in" so that the outlines remain drawn properly around the numbers...

Seems fine zoomed in now for me.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby lackattack on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I'll also agree that type of major game interface update would have been a good thing to make an optional setting for a period to iron out the bugs. I'll keep that in mind for next time...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Jatekos on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:09 pm

lackattack wrote:Also, I tweaked the font some more, should look better in Opera.

Thanks Lack, but that was not actually the main issue about the new army printing with Opera.
The problem is, that since the update, 3-digit army numbers are displayed in 2 rows - this has not been fixed.
Instead of showing e.g.

'134'

it shows

'13
'

Furthermore, with color codes on, even 2-digit army numbers are displayed wrongly:

'g
25'
Major Jatekos

Postby Falkomagno on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 pm

if this is the cause to bold the neutral text...it's good. thanks
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby lackattack on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Jatekos wrote:Thanks Lack, but that was not actually the main issue about the new army printing with Opera.
The problem is, that since the update, 3-digit army numbers are displayed in 2 rows - this has not been fixed.
Instead of showing e.g.

'134'

it shows

'13
'

Furthermore, with color codes on, even 2-digit army numbers are displayed wrongly:

'g
25'

I checked Game 1000001 with color codes in Opera 10.53 (on Windows XP) and did not experience this problem. What version of Opera are you using?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Jatekos on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:57 pm

The same. :) 10.53, on XP.
I have just checked a couple of CC maps on another computer (with the same browser), and the numbers were displayed fine.
Maybe I should reinstall Opera on the original computer on which I experienced the problem.
Major Jatekos

Postby FireStar on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 pm

lackattack wrote:UDPATE: Performance is greatly improved now that it only redraws armies that actually changed during your turn. The Hive and other large maps should be much more playable now.

Works great now for me! great work tweaking this update.... I can't tell the difference anymore :D
Lieutenant FireStar

Postby denominator on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Seems much better for me now. Thanks for the quick fix, lack.

Now to try turning BOB back on...
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives