Official 200 Maps Celebration

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Media Team, Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Official 200 Maps Celebration

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 am

why do you guys assume people are using some sort of magical programs that automatically point out to differences?
there's no such thing as far as i know.
one easy solution would be to download the image cut it in half then put them on top of eachother and see what changed.
i still wouldn't count it as cheating though. if somebody knows how to do it then kudos to them. it doesn't say anywhere that you must use your naked eye. heck nobody even knows who spots those differences. maybe i asked my wife for help. is that also cheating?

yeah i was one of the people that complained the differences were too easy to spot because they were. the first 2 maps were really really easy, the 3rd wasn't hard either. in fact it was more confusing than difficult.
but after the 4th one i haven't said a single word. that's the perfect level if you want a true competition. if all maps were like #4 we wouldn't have had dozens of people tied for 1st place.

@zimmah, why would you bother with gimp when there's a much more convenient solution? simply hold the ctrl button on your keyboard and use your mouse wheel to zoom in/out. that's what i do. it works in firefox, i don't know about other browsers.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Leehar on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 am

DiM wrote:@zimmah, why would you bother with gimp when there's a much more convenient solution? simply hold the ctrl button on your keyboard and use your mouse wheel to zoom in/out. that's what i do. it works in firefox, i don't know about other browsers.

It works on everything in windows
show
Brigadier Leehar
Clan Director
Clan Director

Medals: 134
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (23) Clan Achievement (15) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) General Contribution (9)

Postby Madstuthe1st on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 am

Should you still be able to submit your answers if you've already done it? I'm sure I have put in todays answers but when I went back to the page it's allowing me to enter........fairly sure on all the other maps that you couldn't submit again once you've done it once.....

Don't want to lose my 100% record, this one was harder but I rather that personally.
Sergeant 1st Class Madstuthe1st

Medals: 33
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby White Buffalo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am

DiM wrote: simply hold the ctrl button on your keyboard and use your mouse wheel to zoom in/out.

WOW I used a real ruler on my 12 inch laptop and moved in cm it took me 2.30 hours. Your method is fab. Thx ;) ;)
Captain White Buffalo

Medals: 111
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (4) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (30)

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 am

Madstuthe1st wrote:Should you still be able to submit your answers if you've already done it? I'm sure I have put in todays answers but when I went back to the page it's allowing me to enter........fairly sure on all the other maps that you couldn't submit again once you've done it once.....

Don't want to lose my 100% record, this one was harder but I rather that personally.

you're right. that's weird i can also submit answers again even though i did it once.

i'll do it again just to be sure. :mrgreen:

edit//
"You have already entered this contest. Please wait until a new contest starts to enter again"

so i can fill out the form but i can't submit it. i should not be able to fill it at all if i already submitted once.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby zimmah on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am

Leehar wrote:You know to resize you can just do ctrl + scroll?

even just resizing isn't enough. it helps, but it's not enough.
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby Ffraid on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

White Buffalo wrote:
DiM wrote: simply hold the ctrl button on your keyboard and use your mouse wheel to zoom in/out.

WOW I used a real ruler on my 12 inch laptop and moved in cm it took me 2.30 hours. Your method is fab. Thx ;) ;)

I didn't know about that ctrl+wheel thing either. What I've been doing is copying the picture to my computer and opening it in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and zooming in that way (and it still took me about 2 ½ hrs. to find the last one!).
Captain Ffraid

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) General Achievement (8)

Postby ender516 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 pm

I did the whole thing by opening the contest page in two tabs, and scrolling them so that I could switch tabs back and forth like an astronomer using a blink comparator. 8-) I wish I had thought of zooming in. #-o
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Wow, two of them were tricky... but by no means impossible. If you genuinely cannot see the differences with your eyes (and a bit of zooming in) then you probably need to adjust your monitor settings a bit.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby jcamauve on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 pm

I have a problem... when I tried to submit my answers I got a message saying, "You have already entered this contest. Please wait until a new contest starts to enter again." This was my only submission for Fractured America, but I have done a couple of the other maps too. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks!
Corporal jcamauve

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby zimmah on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

DiM wrote:why do you guys assume people are using some sort of magical programs that automatically point out to differences?

actually, you can do that in gimp.

i could tell you exactly how, but i guess that would not be allowed.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby Dako on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:44 pm

zimmah wrote:
DiM wrote:why do you guys assume people are using some sort of magical programs that automatically point out to differences?

Both GIMP and Photoshop can do this, yes.
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (21) General Contribution (20)

Postby zimmah on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

MrBenn wrote:Wow, two of them were tricky... but by no means impossible. If you genuinely cannot see the differences with your eyes (and a bit of zooming in) then you probably need to adjust your monitor settings a bit.

i have to admit it's 100 times easier to spot if you make the whole map brighter. that being said, the map looks 10 times better when it's brighter as well.

if the next map is this dark, i know what to do. either way, i now know a sweet trick to reveal any and all differences within a few seconds, no matter how small.

fair? maybe not. but so is adding differences the size of a few pixels.

P.S. as soon as the contest is over, i will post an example of how i did it. (note, i only used it on the 4th map, but if i can still find the images of the other maps i might show those as well).

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Dako wrote:
zimmah wrote:

huh. i've been using photoshop for years and had no idea it's possible.
so what? you load 2 images and how exactly does it point the differences? are they highlighted? or circled?

again, i'm talking about some form of automation where precise modifications are shown not by superimposing the 2 images and working with the layer modes.
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:01 pm

DiM wrote:
Dako wrote:
zimmah wrote:

so what? you load 2 images and how exactly does it point the differences? are they highlighted? or circled?

again, i'm talking about some form of automation where precise modifications are shown not by superimposing the 2 images and working with the layer modes.

I know an automated method to do it, but I'll tell you only when the whole contest is over. ;)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:04 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
I know an automated method to do it, but I'll tell you only when the whole contest is over. ;)

create an action? :)
Major DiM

Postby pearljamrox2 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't know your jedi computer tricks. I did it purely with my 2 eyes, looking over every square centimeter of the map, consciously thinking about what i might be looking for. Screw you guys and your shortcuts...LOL!!
Colonel pearljamrox2

Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (9)

Postby Leehar on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 am

layering ftw!
show
Brigadier Leehar
Clan Director
Clan Director

Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (23) Clan Achievement (15) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) General Contribution (9)

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 am

49 people with 20 points :)

Postby Leehar on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 am

zimmah wrote:49 people with 20 points :)

lol, cut in half with one sweep of the sword!
show
Brigadier Leehar
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby CJ Lues on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
DiM wrote:
Dako wrote:
zimmah wrote:

I also have a very easy way to do it...! :D

Will tell you guys when the contest is over ;)
-CJ-
Lieutenant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (17)
Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 am

Just using my eyes takes a little longer. I've been able to spot most of the differences I think, but I think I've missed a few.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Just using my eyes takes a little longer. I've been able to spot most of the differences I think, but I think I've missed a few.

--Andy

i don't see you anywhere in the list.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:39 am

zimmah wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Just using my eyes takes a little longer. I've been able to spot most of the differences I think, but I think I've missed a few.

--Andy

i don't see you anywhere in the list.

I didn't enter the contests as a participant!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 am

Leehar wrote:
zimmah wrote:49 people with 20 points :)

lol, cut in half with one sweep of the sword!

few, i m in it! was afraid of having explained badly some stuff, as i was on the bottom of the list with the 20s..
tonight is the last map! :D
i don t think a lot of the 49 still in the race will not get the 5th map starting tonight, it can t possibly get harder than fractured america. that s a lot of medals to distribute! :P
Brigadier betiko

Medals: 160
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives