Conquer Cup I

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup I

Postby jbrettlip on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 am

HighlanderAttack wrote:
jbrettlip wrote:
HighlanderAttack wrote:jbrettlip--why do you even care if two players play for a premium--it has no effect on you at all--it is their choice. There are better causes to get hyped up about. I don't care how much you drink as long as you don't drive.

Why do you care if I drink and drive, if I don't live near you? It is the same rationale.
I just like to point out how rules were flagrantly broken and no one bothers to enforce them. Why don't you admit that you gamble through CC by betting premium membership.

typical alcoholic response

I do feel sorry for the people where you live

and like you said I am not shy about playing someone for premium-- there are threads about it--if you ever had the guts to do so which I know you dont I would kick your ass in a series of anything for premium of course

Sorry, I don't gamble on CC. And thank you for your diagnosis, Doctor. I had no idea diseases could be diagnosed from avatars on gaming sites.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Sergeant 1st Class jbrettlip

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Mad777 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 am

All, correct me if I'm wrong but these topic is about the Conquer Cup I?

What I can read in the last few pages is peoples throwing words which has nothing to do with the tourney itself! :?

For me it should be all about this new event CC created for us, so enjoy it and don't waste time to talk about "gambling" as it is not what CC is for.

cheers 8-)
".....Fallait pas m'inviter....."
Captain Mad777

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6)
Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (25)

Postby Agent 86 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Lack made the rules and now he shifts the posts. New event, come on we have so many tourneys going on..did any of the tourney organizers offer prizes apart from premium membership..NO NO..So Lack now has offered offered prizes for..wait for it..money to join. I read the rules of the site which lack wanted and now find Lack doing the opposite..hypocrite ( look the word up ) Lack and your minions of pathetic admins have been on posting to try and say this is fine. This is gambling in it's finest form, Lack prove to me this isn't so...you can't, so bring on advertising so we can all play for free.

P.S So yes jbrettlip is totally correct on this one..
Major Agent 86

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (15) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby Night Strike on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Lack made the rules and now he shifts the posts. New event, come on we have so many tourneys going on..did any of the tourney organizers offer prizes apart from premium membership..NO NO..So Lack now has offered offered prizes for..wait for it..money to join. I read the rules of the site which lack wanted and now find Lack doing the opposite..hypocrite ( look the word up ) Lack and your minions of pathetic admins have been on posting to try and say this is fine. This is gambling in it's finest form, Lack prove to me this isn't so...you can't, so bring on advertising so we can all play for free.

Shouldn't YOU have to proof that it IS gambling in order to make that blanket accusation?

And people HAVE answered why it's not gambling: because CC is a game of skill, not a game of luck. Luck = gambling, skill =/= gambling. It takes skill to win the Conquer Cup, not luck.

By the way, lack's site-wide tournament has nothing to do with what regular users do for running tournaments.
Captain Night Strike

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:Lack made the rules and now he shifts the posts. New event, come on we have so many tourneys going on..did any of the tourney organizers offer prizes apart from premium membership..NO NO..So Lack now has offered offered prizes for..wait for it..money to join. I read the rules of the site which lack wanted and now find Lack doing the opposite..hypocrite ( look the word up ) Lack and your minions of pathetic admins have been on posting to try and say this is fine. This is gambling in it's finest form, Lack prove to me this isn't so...you can't, so bring on advertising so we can all play for free.

Shouldn't YOU have to proof that it IS gambling in order to make that blanket accusation?

And people HAVE answered why it's not gambling: because CC is a game of skill, not a game of luck. Luck = gambling, skill =/= gambling. It takes skill to win the Conquer Cup, not luck.

By the way, lack's site-wide tournament has nothing to do with what regular users do for running tournaments.

So 2 players setting up 99 games and agreeing on the loser paying 100$ to the winner is not gambling? The winner will not have won because of luck that much is for sure. I have no problem with lack organizing this tournament (I was among the 10 first players that joined it lol), but it does break the guidelines we users are bound to follow. So I can partly understand what people don't like about it. But this isn't the only thing where CC made content follow different rules than user made. For example, maps officially made by CC (Easter, Christmas, Colosseum etc) did not have to go through the same process as other maps. Anyway I just hope a lot of the money made on this project gets reinvested into CC. If it does I don't care much if it breaks guidelines we have to follow.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Night Strike wrote:And people HAVE answered why it's not gambling: because CC is a game of skill, not a game of luck. Luck = gambling, skill =/= gambling. It takes skill to win the Conquer Cup, not luck.

Almost laughed out loud at that.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby ljex on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Night Strike wrote:

so you think that the eventual winner of this will be the player who is the most skilled at these settings of the 500 or so participants? Because if so you have a skewed perception of reality. To win an individual game of 5 player escalating takes a decent amount of luck let alone 4 of them in a row.
Captain ljex

Medals: 115
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (18) General Contribution (3)

Postby morleyjoe on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

I agree with Mad777 - please go start another thread for your complaining about gambling. This thread is for the Conquer Cup.
Click image to enlarge.

show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Location: Niagara Falls CANADA (even though CC sometimes thinks I'm in the United States)
Medals: 123
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (21) Tournament Contribution (15)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Agent 86 wrote:so bring on advertising so we can all play for free.

No, please do not do that. If I have to watch a goddamned 20 second advertisement before I take each turn, I will go start playing at a competitor's website and won't be alone.
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby denominator on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:50 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
Night Strike wrote:And people HAVE answered why it's not gambling: because CC is a game of skill, not a game of luck. Luck = gambling, skill =/= gambling. It takes skill to win the Conquer Cup, not luck.

Almost laughed out loud at that.

I actually did. It's such an absurd statement.

Wikipedia wrote:Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.

The Free Dictionary wrote:
a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
b. To play a game of chance for stakes.
2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.
3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.
v.tr.
1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.
2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.
n.
1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.
2. An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise.

It doesn't matter whether whatever is being bet on is a game of skill or luck, or whatever. All that matters is that there is a wager placed on something with an unknown outcome.
Captain denominator
Beta Team Member
Beta Team Member

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 am

Well, since CC is a game of skill and not luck, why is there a section in the rules that says no gambling on CC games not even with your "points". Another case of Lack and his minions making up rules as they go, or breaking ones that aren't in their best interest.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Booleans on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 am

I just won my first game. Hopefully I can have a repeat performance in game 2.
Major Booleans

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:36 pm

andrewsn22 wrote:I just won my first game. Hopefully I can have a repeat performance in game 2.

Gratz, hope to see you later in the tournament!
Art by: pershy | High Score: 2550
Sergeant 1st Class MoB Deadly

Medals: 144
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17)
General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (38) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Postby Gillipig on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 pm

I made the mistake of not bonusmonkeying in the beginning. There's a big gorilla monkeying around in Australia in my game and he'll probably win it :( .
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby CJ Lues on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:11 am

Gillipig wrote:I made the mistake of not bonusmonkeying in the beginning. There's a big gorilla monkeying around in Australia in my game and he'll probably win it :( .

Did the same mate...! don't feel alone... :oops:
-CJ-
Lieutenant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (17)
Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby lackattack on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 am

Although I don't see any conflict between the Conquer Cup and our rules, I updated the guidelines as follows to make it clear:

Community Guidelines wrote:
  • This is a casual gaming site, not a serious one. If you want to bet money or "real-world items", then you'll have to find another site.
  • Wagering CC points is also not allowed.
  • The Conquer Cup is of course not considered gambling just because there is an entry fee associated with participation!
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby trapyoung on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 am

So sayeth God.
Colonel trapyoung

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby comic boy on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

Lack
Purely out of interest , does this now mean that any member can start a tournament , request an entrance fee and award prizes ?
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:29 am

CJ Lues wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I made the mistake of not bonusmonkeying in the beginning. There's a big gorilla monkeying around in Australia in my game and he'll probably win it :( .

I DID! First Turn of the First Round! Game 9979939 Hope it pays off!
Art by: pershy | High Score: 2550
Sergeant 1st Class MoB Deadly

Medals: 144
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17)
General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (38) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Postby lackattack on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:45 am

comic boy wrote:Lack
Purely out of interest , does this now mean that any member can start a tournament , request an entrance fee and award prizes ?

Even if it isn't gambling, you'd better check the Tournament Rules first.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 am

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/a ... skill.html

1) I'd guess no one in this discussion has the legal knowledge to determine the legality of an entry fee/prizes.
2) Just because lack hosted one, it doesn't mean he has to let you host one.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby trapyoung on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/games-of-chance-vs-games-of-skill.html

1) I'd guess no one in this discussion has the legal knowledge to determine the legality of an entry fee/prizes.

Well the biggest problem is that this is a world-wide site and I think it's probably safe to say that some jurisdictions may allow people to gamble on games of strategy, but others do not.

Where are the servers located?
Colonel trapyoung

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby jbrettlip on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Lack,

Thanks for the clarification. Now can you answer the question of "Can two members publicly challenge each other to a 1v1, with the loser buying the winner premium"?

And if not, why has it been allowed in the past, with no discipline etc.

Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/games-of-chance-vs-games-of-skill.html

There are only a couple of states where the referenced gambling is illegal, and it's each individual's job to know whether or not they are legally allowed to participate in gambling events. At any rate, CC is based out of Canada, so the US laws apply on the end of US users only.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby Gillipig on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 am

MoB Deadly wrote:
CJ Lues wrote:

I DID! First Turn of the First Round! Game 9979939 Hope it pays off!

By the looks of that game you're no the only monkey.
Lieutenant Gillipig

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives