Conquer Club

12 Player Games, Invitation Upgrades & More

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 12 Player Games, Invitation Upgrades & More

Postby WWEJTH on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:46 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
IcePack wrote:
WWEJTH wrote:My only issue with the 12 player game right now is the 12th player green is way too close to Player 2 green.

Is it possible that could be changed to something like black?

Black isn't / wasn't possible.

Black would be very ideal to tell colors apart but it won't work with many maps because of how dark it is. If you've got another suggestion...

IMO- use color codes if you can't tell. They look like they will be important now. But maybe a dark brown could be used, while lightening up the other one just a little?

Dark brown or a gold color I think could work.
Lieutenant WWEJTH

Postby IcePack on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:53 pm

WWEJTH wrote:
JamesKer1 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
IcePack wrote:
WWEJTH wrote:My only issue with the 12 player game right now is the 12th player green is way too close to Player 2 green.

Is it possible that could be changed to something like black?

Black isn't / wasn't possible.

Black would be very ideal to tell colors apart but it won't work with many maps because of how dark it is. If you've got another suggestion...

IMO- use color codes if you can't tell. They look like they will be important now. But maybe a dark brown could be used, while lightening up the other one just a little?

Dark brown or a gold color I think could work.

Both dark brown and gold were tested along side the new colors, and had more conflicts then the current colors.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby WWEJTH on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:04 pm

IcePack wrote:
Both dark brown and gold were tested along side the new colors, and had more conflicts then the current colors.

Lavender is about the only other color I can think of, but I know that would be an issue on the World 2.0 map
Lieutenant WWEJTH

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 pm

WWEJTH wrote:
IcePack wrote:

Lavender is about the only other color I can think of, but I know that would be an issue on the World 2.0 map

Green and red are issues on other maps, don't think it has really mattered before...
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:39 pm

I highly doubt you will find any other colours more suitable than the ones that have been implemented. Many variants were tested before a final decision was agreed upon.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:45 pm

IcePack wrote:
Donelladan wrote:There is a bug on Classic Cities: Pot Mosbi.
As you can see with this Game 13162712 it is possible to create a 12 player game on this map. First post says it should be maximum 8.

Thanks ill notify

Fixed!

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:07 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
IcePack wrote:
As you can see with this Game 13162712 it is possible to create a 12 player game on this map. First post says it should be maximum 8.

Thanks ill notify

Fixed!

BMO

Indeed, 12 players on an 8 start map...those last four players would be eliminated first round because of "One Tribe" requirement/objective xml, Yes?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:17 pm

cairnswk wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:
IcePack wrote:

Thanks ill notify

Fixed!

BMO

Indeed, 12 players on an 8 start map...those last four players would be eliminated first round because of "One Tribe" requirement/objective xml, Yes?

Yes, 8 players max was the correct one.
Captain Gilligan

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm

The game has been deleted to prevent the bug from ever happening! :D. Thanks for the notice, Gilligan! Whew!

BMO

Postby greenoaks on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
betiko wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:I basically agree with all of Bruce's points regarding freestyle, which is fairly surprising.

Just to add, I have only seen sequential players arguing for the delay and no regular freestylers. Says a lot.

Even if I'm mostly a sequential player, I think I can throw in my 2 cents caf.
200+ games in casual freestyle (+2500pts+) and 400 games in speed freestyle (-1700pts)

you have 125 games in casual freestyle (-177pts) and 235 games in speed freestyle (+607pts) so unless you are adding your experience from your previous account, I don't know why your opinion should matter more than other's.

I just have a casual freestyle game that started with that rule. It's fog, so I'm happy that I got a chance to see what's going on to take a snapshot and to get a chance to start at the same time than others. where is the problem?

and as other people said, are you guys thinking that it's for every turn or something? that player 1 doesn't have to wait for the hour to pass??

Using that logic....

My casual Freestyle Stats +10063 587 from 1580
My Speed Freestyle Stats +1022 678 from 1721

Then my opinion should carry more weight and frankly on this subject I think it does. But lets not go in circles and just use what we know from the games we have played. I stand by my statement.

with over 1600 casual freestyle games my opinion matters more than yours :lol:

so here goes, the delayed start is a great update.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Apart from the fact Bruce isn't arguing that, how many speed freestyle games have you played?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:36 pm

If at all, the delay will only negatively affect a small portion of the seriously intense freestyler's experience The nature of a freestyle game on Conquer Club is what we will define it to be, not what it has been or was.

The delay helps freestyle be a more approachable setting for those who don't normally play it. Even if there isn't an influx of new people playing the setting, the option being more reasonable to them is an appealing policy decision. As for making the last player to join wait an hour in casual...that's ostensibly better than making Player 1 spend many more hours making sure that the exact same situation does not happen in reverse!

BMO

Postby benga on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Clan tag is in the wrong place, it should be next to username in scoreboard.
Sergeant benga

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:If at all, the delay will only negatively affect a small portion of the seriously intense freestyler's experience The nature of a freestyle game on Conquer Club is what we will define it to be, not what it has been or was.

The delay helps freestyle be a more approachable setting for those who don't normally play it. Even if there isn't an influx of new people playing the setting, the option being more reasonable to them is an appealing policy decision. As for making the last player to join wait an hour in casual...that's ostensibly better than making Player 1 spend many more hours making sure that the exact same situation does not happen in reverse!

BMO

You Sound like Roger Godell from NFL talking about visions for the NFL and less hitting. Football is all about hitting. Freestyle is all about speed and fast games. Do not try to fix what freestyle is about with more rules.

P.S. Just because people are good at something does not mean they are farming and it needs to be fixed. Trying to level the playing field with rules will not make the people any better, just takes longer to die.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Apart from the fact Bruce isn't arguing that, how many speed freestyle games have you played?

about the same as you, and as i have played 10,000 games to your 2,000 i must be 5 times as important as you.

rds is right. this change improves the setting for the majority.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby MrBenn on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm

It's good to see some updates...

While it's been a long time since I've played any games here, the 1hr delay sounds like a real PITA for anybody who likes to play RT games without the time pressure of the speed clock. From memory, lots of people like to play RT, particularly people who are not very vocal in the forums. I understand the need/desire for the delay, but perhaps 5-10 mins would be a better compromise?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:32 pm

MrBenn wrote:It's good to see some updates...

While it's been a long time since I've played any games here, the 1hr delay sounds like a real PITA for anybody who likes to play RT games without the time pressure of the speed clock. From memory, lots of people like to play RT, particularly people who are not very vocal in the forums. I understand the need/desire for the delay, but perhaps 5-10 mins would be a better compromise?

Maybe we could make a delay option? Since we are protecting the host, they should be able to choose the amount of protection. If they want, they could have 1 hour, 30 min, 15 min, 10 min, and 5 min.... I think that would work out better.

And how is this different from having the first turn in sequential? We haven't done anything to protect the last person in line, nor should we...
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:

Maybe we could make a delay option? Since we are protecting the host, they should be able to choose the amount of protection. If they want, they could have 1 hour, 30 min, 15 min, 10 min, and 5 min.... I think that would work out better.

And how is this different from having the first turn in sequential? We haven't done anything to protect the last person in line, nor should we...

Sequential is a totally different story...it's random and totally even and fair.
Captain Gilligan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:35 pm

greenoaks wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Apart from the fact Bruce isn't arguing that, how many speed freestyle games have you played?

about the same as you, and as i have played 10,000 games to your 2,000 i must be 5 times as important as you.

It was an honest question, don't get so ruffled.

This doesn't improve the setting for the majority.

In speed freestyle, there is now less time for the less experienced to make their moves, meaning the more experienced player is more likely to win, much more easily, thereby putting more new freestyle players off.

In casual freestyle, many people play because multiplayer games are quicker this way than sequential (bearing freemiums in mind, primarily). Now there's a 1hr delay at the start of the game, great. Secondly, 1v1 casual freestyle is now a waste of time. Finally, it is now impossible to play real time freestyle.

This setting was already dying, now it will continue to do so.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm assuming this bug is related to the new updates; the "join game" link disappears for speed team games once the first team has been filled.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:27 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

In speed freestyle, there is now less time for the less experienced to make their moves, meaning the more experienced player is more likely to win, much more easily, thereby putting more new freestyle players off.

Wrong. The amount of time to take your turn is exactly what it was. The delay is at the beginning of the game. It basically means that people don't have to sit there like zombies hitting Refresh, Refresh, Refresh, until their game starts. They are free to go do other things on the site, play other games, read the forums, whatever, and when the game does start they will have an opportunity to switch windows or tabs or whatever else, turn their attention to the game, and get ready to start with everyone else.

Imagine a track race where a runner had to stand in the starting blocks for hours, waiting until the other runners showed up. It would certainly discourage anyone from taking up running as a sport.

My prediction is that this change will increase, not decrease, the attractiveness of speed freestyle. Of course, I'm willing to face the facts if the facts are not in accord with the theory. So, like Big Wham said, let's give it a few weeks and see how it's working, and we'll change it if it's not working as planned.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby bigWham on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Wrong. The amount of time to take your turn is exactly what it was. The delay is at the beginning of the game. It basically means that people don't have to sit there like zombies hitting Refresh, Refresh, Refresh, until their game starts. They are free to go do other things on the site, play other games, read the forums, whatever, and when the game does start they will have an opportunity to switch windows or tabs or whatever else, turn their attention to the game, and get ready to start with everyone else.

Imagine a track race where a runner had to stand in the starting blocks for hours, waiting until the other runners showed up. It would certainly discourage anyone from taking up running as a sport.

My prediction is that this change will increase, not decrease, the attractiveness of speed freestyle. Of course, I'm willing to face the facts if the facts are not in accord with the theory. So, like Big Wham said, let's give it a few weeks and see how it's working, and we'll change it if it's not working as planned.

one possibility with this feature is to restrict it to 1v1 games. i believe that that is where the real positive impact is. i don't think first turn in 3+ player games is any significant enough advantage to warrant imposing new rules, even if they are low impact.
Colonel bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 pm

In an RT game, I assume that the first player would take his turn in less than an hour, which would open up the opportunity for the second player to play.

BMO

Postby betiko on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:40 am

bigWham wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

one possibility with this feature is to restrict it to 1v1 games. i believe that that is where the real positive impact is. i don't think first turn in 3+ player games is any significant enough advantage to warrant imposing new rules, even if they are low impact.

As i said previously, i had a 6 men freestyle fog starting yesterday, and with that rule i was able to take a snapshot before the start of the game. It is very relevant with fog, as otherwise you would miss some intel you have the right to have.
Last edited by betiko on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major betiko

Postby alster on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:39 am

Game Finder page (after a search) looks terrible now. Something that was unintentionally caused by any of the updates?

Also: can't describe it exactly - but when in games, something happened to the layout? Feels a bit squeezed now, not a big fan, you lost visiability and can't view the entire map/settings now. Something that was unintentionally caused by any of the updates?
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives