Conquer Club

New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Jeff Hardy on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:08 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
Kotaro wrote:
Jeff Hardy wrote:
get to 4k yourself (no matter how) or shut the hell up

2nd'd.
Great minds think alike. ...And so do moronic ones. :lol:

is someone jealous because he knows he will never get up to 3k, let alone 4?...

or are you just stupid?
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby Kotaro on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

porkenbeans wrote:

Your flames don't really affect anyone above the elementary school level :lol: And don't belong. What, you can't have a conversation without resorting to flaming?
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby zsp on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Kotaro wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:

Your flames don't really affect anyone above the elementary school level :lol: And don't belong. What, you can't have a conversation without resorting to flaming?

Seems that you inspire flames from many people, Kotaro. You're fairly popular...

among the unpopular.
2008-10-15 03:03:59 - pasberg: Zsp is really good in manipulating you guys doing his work.

22:18:13 ā€¹dakky21ā€ŗ but i MUST moderate this dead chat
22:18:41 ā€¹zspā€ŗ ^you just gave me a new sig.
Major zsp

Postby Dan Halen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 pm

jesus... how about you set up a minor leagues where noobies play each other and have to graduate to the bigs? or an officers league. do something creative and stop being a BIG BITCH. :shock:

DAN HALEN WAS HERE
Major Dan Halen

Postby kerntheconkerer on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm glad its officially been announced as against the rules, but I don't think it will stop much. There is always going be 'crime' going on, and of course our outnumbered mods can't get everything...
"Why so Serious?"
<(ā€˜.ā€™<) ^(ā€˜.ā€™)^ (>ā€™.ā€™)>
Corporal 1st Class kerntheconkerer

Postby Jeff Hardy on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:03 pm

kerntheconkerer wrote:I'm glad its officially been announced as against the rules, but I don't think it will stop much. There is always going be 'crime' going on, and of course our outnumbered mods can't get everything...

anyone who farms will get reported and every report gets looked at so this rule will make a huge difference
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby FarangDemon on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 pm

mr changsha wrote:We cannot and not because of farming but due to the sheer number of styles available on CC. Once one accepts that, the leaderboard becomes something of an irrelevence even if farming was somehow eliminated from CC. So no, CC IS NOT about the #1 players being able to beat the #2 player.

What if you had a different score for each game type?
After each game finishes, only your score for that particular game type would change. An average across all game types could be computed to show your overall score.

I think I read this suggestion not too long ago.

Now can we tackle the farming issue? Because it is now possible to have a system where the player ranked #1 tends to beat the player ranked #2 for a particular game type.

I don't think I or Herpes is damaging Conquer Club. I think the scoring system is.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby lancehoch on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm

FarangDemon wrote:What if you had a different score for each game type?
After each game finishes, only your score for that particular game type would change. An average across all game types could be computed to show your overall score.

I think it was determined that there were over 100,000 different game types.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:07 pm

lancehoch wrote:

I believe there are only* 36 game types. The 100,000 options comes from different maps being included.

*Only is a relative term of course. This is still way too many scores to have.
Major Bones2484

Postby soka on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm

are there going to be farming hunters like mutli hunters???
Sergeant 1st Class soka

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Dan Halen wrote:jesus... how about you set up a minor leagues where noobies play each other and have to graduate to the bigs? or an officers league. do something creative and stop being a BIG BITCH. :shock:

DAN HALEN WAS HERE
Yes something like this is what is needed. =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Bones2484 wrote:
lancehoch wrote:

I believe there are only* 36 game types. The 100,000 options comes from different maps being included.

*Only is a relative term of course. This is still way too many scores to have.
These 36 game types can be grouped in a way that produces 1/2 dozen main categories.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Roger Dodger on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 pm

i want to be a farmer hunter!!!! i volunteer to keep this place clean yet mean as always.
So, I sticka my tonga at all youa.

Proud Member of XI Games
Private Roger Dodger

Postby FarangDemon on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:58 am

Roger Dodger wrote:i want to be a farmer hunter!!!! i volunteer to keep this place clean yet mean as always.

There is no need for farmer hunters as farming is an officially condoned practice. It is an inextricable part of the Conquer Club experience for many vocal players. Nevermind Lack's New Year's address, which coincides with the 2/3 of poll correspondents who would prefer a scoring system where you cannot farm to get to the top:

lackattack wrote:As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques.

viewtopic.php?f=239&t=74408

If the conqueror's systematic targeting of cadets and cooks in difficult map settings on difficult maps is not a harvesting technique, I don't know what is.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby Artimis on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:19 am

FarangDemon wrote:viewtopic.php?f=239&t=74408

If the conqueror's systematic targeting of cadets and cooks in difficult map settings on difficult maps is not a harvesting technique, I don't know what is.

FarangDemon, did you read my reply in that thread at all? The cooks and cadets you are referring to have been here a long time. They've been round the block and know the dangers by now. None of them are '?'s, plus those games were made and started before this announcement was posted. I see you're playing with a bunch of low ranks in your games too, so don't harp on about it unless you want other players to start calling you a 'hypocrite', which some of them already have.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby shanksdigs on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 pm

lackattack wrote:"As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques."

Of all the stupid reasons for the webmaster to post...lack's original comment is the kickingest kicker. Lack said that "newbie farming" affects the scoreboard. The scoreboard is already kerplunkt because of all the cheaters on here and the rules that allow cheaters who have been banned to finish their games. This also goes for not returning points earned from being on a cheaters team....points lost due to a cheater that aren't returned...

You name it...there are million reason why the scoreboard is not valid.

I'm not a newbie farmer, but I laugh at the reasoning behind getting rid of them and ending the practice.
Lieutenant shanksdigs

Location: Premiums, please do not join my games if you cannot play fast/RT.

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

shanksdigs wrote:
lackattack wrote:"As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques."

Of all the stupid reasons for the webmaster to post...lack's original comment is the kickingest kicker. Lack said that "newbie farming" affects the scoreboard. The scoreboard is already kerplunkt because of all the cheaters on here and the rules that allow cheaters who have been banned to finish their games. This also goes for not returning points earned from being on a cheaters team....points lost due to a cheater that aren't returned...

You name it...there are million reason why the scoreboard is not valid.

I'm not a newbie farmer, but I laugh at the reasoning behind getting rid of them and ending the practice.

So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby shanksdigs on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Neon peon wrote: "So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless."

There is already a system in place attempting to rid multis. When multis and other cheaters are discovered, the way they are dealt with is not effective. I believe that there needs to be amendments to how multis and other cheaters are dealt with BEFORE going after another group. In addition! This newly identified group is somewhat difficult to identify. While there are probably outspoken noob farmers, it would seem that any player playing a "?" or a "chef" could be identified as a noob hunter or noob farmer. There are more reasons to ignore noob hunters/farmers (for the time being) than there are reasons to hunt the noob farmers/hunters.

Add my name to the list of players who got their ass handed to them from day one on this site....I stuck around, just like everyone else. No noobs are going crying to mama or asking lack for their money back because they got pwned!!!!
Lieutenant shanksdigs

Location: Premiums, please do not join my games if you cannot play fast/RT.

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm

shanksdigs wrote:Neon peon wrote: "So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless."

There is already a system in place attempting to rid multis. When multis and other cheaters are discovered, the way they are dealt with is not effective. I believe that there needs to be amendments to how multis and other cheaters are dealt with BEFORE going after another group. In addition! This newly identified group is somewhat difficult to identify. While there are probably outspoken noob farmers, it would seem that any player playing a "?" or a "chef" could be identified as a noob hunter or noob farmer. There are more reasons to ignore noob hunters/farmers (for the time being) than there are reasons to hunt the noob farmers/hunters.

Add my name to the list of players who got their ass handed to them from day one on this site....I stuck around, just like everyone else. No noobs are going crying to mama or asking lack for their money back because they got pwned!!!!
You should re-read the webmasters proclamation once more. You do not seem to understand what he said about this topic.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:48 am

he he, its still not actually on the rules page yet, therefore it is technically still not a rule.

This is a gross abuse of the game. It gives the New Recruit "victims" a poor first experience and reduces the chances of them sticking around. As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques.

also there is a bit missing, let me put it in..

This is a gross abuse of the game. It gives the New Recruit "victims" a poor first experience and reduces the chances of them sticking around, therefore paying me $$ for a premium membership. As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques.

but about bloody time i say.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby stringybeany on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

If you wish to improve your game, play better players. I ignore the farmers because I figure they are only hurting themselves. There's no victory or improvement in farming, there are only points. The strategies and play style for farming just aren't going to improve your play performance.

Way up thread (I can't believe I actually read through the whole 12 pages) someone mentioned modifying the scoring system. If you would like a model that would kill points farming, go with the methods employed by chessclub (and other gaming sites).

On that site if you play against anyone more than 400 points below you, you will receive nothing for the win. The only way to raise your score to the highest level is to play higher ranked players, and guess what? Doing so improves your chess game!
If you only play lower ranked players, your score will find a natural ceiling.

Points farmers are only hurting their own game for a pitiful reward. Screw 'em.
Captain stringybeany

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 pm

stringybeany wrote:If you wish to improve your game, play better players.

The most common mistake made by low ranks as well.

Agree completely with your whole post.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:03 pm

2nd.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Aradhus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

I haven't had any interactions with lackattack, other than him thanking me for pointing out a bug. So I'm basing this off of a very complicated cognitive process. I think lackattack is a pretty smart guy, a 140-150 IQ kinda guy, but he is surrounded by individuals who are not. Their lack of understanding is affecting his judgment on important decisions. He isn't seeing the big picture. That quote up there has about 30 words, but it says so much about so many things. Most of it bad.

I see worsening conditions for this site, and an increasingly less enjoyable place to be 'at'.
Major Aradhus

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't realy understand farmers. Most are members so why are they paying money to just try to increase their rank rather than enjoying playing a game. Also, I'm not realy sure why people don't like playing farmers. I like getting the chance to try to play a supposed expert at the game. There is little consequence for loosing and a lot to be gained from winning.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives