New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Media Team, Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby shanksdigs on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 pm

lackattack wrote:"As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques."

Of all the stupid reasons for the webmaster to post...lack's original comment is the kickingest kicker. Lack said that "newbie farming" affects the scoreboard. The scoreboard is already kerplunkt because of all the cheaters on here and the rules that allow cheaters who have been banned to finish their games. This also goes for not returning points earned from being on a cheaters team....points lost due to a cheater that aren't returned...

You name it...there are million reason why the scoreboard is not valid.

I'm not a newbie farmer, but I laugh at the reasoning behind getting rid of them and ending the practice.
Lieutenant shanksdigs

Location: Premiums, please do not join my games if you cannot play fast/RT.
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

shanksdigs wrote:
lackattack wrote:"As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques."

Of all the stupid reasons for the webmaster to post...lack's original comment is the kickingest kicker. Lack said that "newbie farming" affects the scoreboard. The scoreboard is already kerplunkt because of all the cheaters on here and the rules that allow cheaters who have been banned to finish their games. This also goes for not returning points earned from being on a cheaters team....points lost due to a cheater that aren't returned...

You name it...there are million reason why the scoreboard is not valid.

I'm not a newbie farmer, but I laugh at the reasoning behind getting rid of them and ending the practice.

So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby shanksdigs on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Neon peon wrote: "So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless."

There is already a system in place attempting to rid multis. When multis and other cheaters are discovered, the way they are dealt with is not effective. I believe that there needs to be amendments to how multis and other cheaters are dealt with BEFORE going after another group. In addition! This newly identified group is somewhat difficult to identify. While there are probably outspoken noob farmers, it would seem that any player playing a "?" or a "chef" could be identified as a noob hunter or noob farmer. There are more reasons to ignore noob hunters/farmers (for the time being) than there are reasons to hunt the noob farmers/hunters.

Add my name to the list of players who got their ass handed to them from day one on this site....I stuck around, just like everyone else. No noobs are going crying to mama or asking lack for their money back because they got pwned!!!!
Lieutenant shanksdigs

Location: Premiums, please do not join my games if you cannot play fast/RT.
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm

shanksdigs wrote:Neon peon wrote: "So you are saying that one step forward to fix a system that is messed up is a bad thing? A step forward is a step forward nonetheless."

There is already a system in place attempting to rid multis. When multis and other cheaters are discovered, the way they are dealt with is not effective. I believe that there needs to be amendments to how multis and other cheaters are dealt with BEFORE going after another group. In addition! This newly identified group is somewhat difficult to identify. While there are probably outspoken noob farmers, it would seem that any player playing a "?" or a "chef" could be identified as a noob hunter or noob farmer. There are more reasons to ignore noob hunters/farmers (for the time being) than there are reasons to hunt the noob farmers/hunters.

Add my name to the list of players who got their ass handed to them from day one on this site....I stuck around, just like everyone else. No noobs are going crying to mama or asking lack for their money back because they got pwned!!!!
You should re-read the webmasters proclamation once more. You do not seem to understand what he said about this topic.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:48 am

he he, its still not actually on the rules page yet, therefore it is technically still not a rule.

This is a gross abuse of the game. It gives the New Recruit "victims" a poor first experience and reduces the chances of them sticking around. As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques.

also there is a bit missing, let me put it in..

This is a gross abuse of the game. It gives the New Recruit "victims" a poor first experience and reduces the chances of them sticking around, therefore paying me $$ for a premium membership. As farmers move up the scoreboard it also harms the competitive nature of Conquer Club - the scoreboard is meant to measure skill in the game, not "harvesting" techniques.

but about bloody time i say.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby stringybeany on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

If you wish to improve your game, play better players. I ignore the farmers because I figure they are only hurting themselves. There's no victory or improvement in farming, there are only points. The strategies and play style for farming just aren't going to improve your play performance.

Way up thread (I can't believe I actually read through the whole 12 pages) someone mentioned modifying the scoring system. If you would like a model that would kill points farming, go with the methods employed by chessclub (and other gaming sites).

On that site if you play against anyone more than 400 points below you, you will receive nothing for the win. The only way to raise your score to the highest level is to play higher ranked players, and guess what? Doing so improves your chess game!
If you only play lower ranked players, your score will find a natural ceiling.

Points farmers are only hurting their own game for a pitiful reward. Screw 'em.
Weak kill shots in esc = Loser
Mind your troop count and look ahead!
Major stringybeany

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 pm

stringybeany wrote:If you wish to improve your game, play better players.

The most common mistake made by low ranks as well.

Agree completely with your whole post.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:03 pm

2nd.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Aradhus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

I haven't had any interactions with lackattack, other than him thanking me for pointing out a bug. So I'm basing this off of a very complicated cognitive process. I think lackattack is a pretty smart guy, a 140-150 IQ kinda guy, but he is surrounded by individuals who are not. Their lack of understanding is affecting his judgment on important decisions. He isn't seeing the big picture. That quote up there has about 30 words, but it says so much about so many things. Most of it bad.

I see worsening conditions for this site, and an increasingly less enjoyable place to be 'at'.
Major Aradhus

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't realy understand farmers. Most are members so why are they paying money to just try to increase their rank rather than enjoying playing a game. Also, I'm not realy sure why people don't like playing farmers. I like getting the chance to try to play a supposed expert at the game. There is little consequence for loosing and a lot to be gained from winning.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:58 pm

captainwalrus wrote:I don't realy understand farmers. Most are members so why are they paying money to just try to increase their rank rather than enjoying playing a game. Also, I'm not realy sure why people don't like playing farmers. I like getting the chance to try to play a supposed expert at the game. There is little consequence for loosing and a lot to be gained from winning.
You have a very good attitude on the matter. I don't know why either.
The members here at CC could fill a good sized stadium. But it seems that there will always be those few knuckleheads. They only take up 1 row, of 1 section of the stadium. But they seem to make more noise and cause more grief than anyone else. :?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby Timminz on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 pm

porkenbeans wrote:But it seems that there will always be those few knuckleheads. They only take up 1 row, of 1 section of the stadium. But they seem to make more noise and cause more grief than anyone else. :?

We didn't always consider you to be like that.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
Captain Timminz

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Well whadya know? the classic map being removed by hasbro has made Lack and Co sit up and take notice that the site was fucked unless they did something.

No longer can new people log on to a familiar Classic map, - but what the hell, who cared? the opening pages of public games to join were weird stupid maps even when the hasbro classic was still here.
But I bet Mr Lack has spotted in his most important graph a tailing off of people renewing their premium.

This is nothing to do with the credit crunch. This is nothing to do with n00bs getting farmed. It's most likely to do with the most important map being taken off line and reproduced with 2 options that are utterly terrible.

Whilst I commend the site for removing the farming option, I find it amusing that it took until this moment in time to implement such filters.

Other people don't or won't renew their premium due to no Classic map or idiotic moderation in the forums.

When are you going to wake up Mr Lack to the bigger picture of why this site is failing to increase in a way that most game sites do?

Once you have a hardcore member list, word of mouth takes over and before you know it, your site has exploded. Whether you sell on line vacuum cleaner bags or strategy games, word of mouth is key. Facebook and the like are the tools to spread to word. But something in this site is wrong.

Take a good hard look before your baby fails to fulfill its potential.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Timminz wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:But it seems that there will always be those few knuckleheads. They only take up 1 row, of 1 section of the stadium. But they seem to make more noise and cause more grief than anyone else. :?

We didn't always consider you to be like that.
If you are talking to me, I will tell you this. I played for about a year before I even visited the forum. The only reason that I did, was because I was looking for a way to speak up about two issues, that I believed should be addressed. They were, and still are, Cheaters and Newbie Farmers. I did not come here for the purpose of making friends. That 1 row that I was referring to are all here in the forum. It is their club house. When I started, CC did not even agree that this was a problem. I have been tenacious in this fight. Lacks' New Years proclamation has been a great victory. At least he has been won over to the cause, that I choose to champion. Having to endure the constant harassment and put downs in this clubhouse, is a small price to pay. If you were to check my feedback you would be able to glint, what kind of fellow I am outside of this forum. I will tell you this, and you can take it to the bank. I will continue the fight until I am dead, or the problem is fixed. And personally, I do NOT give a rats ass, how many Farmers and cheaters I piss off. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby Timminz on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm

porkenbeans wrote: And personally, I do NOT give a rats ass, how many Farmers and cheaters I piss off. 8-)

And what of the non-cheating, non-farming players you've been pissing?
Captain Timminz

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Timminz wrote:
porkenbeans wrote: And personally, I do NOT give a rats ass, how many Farmers and cheaters I piss off. 8-)

And what of the non-cheating, non-farming players you've been pissing?
Like who ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby lancehoch on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am

porkenbeans wrote:Like who ?

Like Timminz, like owenshooter, like most of the other people in this thread who disagree with you.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:16 am

lancehoch wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Like who ?

Like Timminz, like owenshooter, like most of the other people in this thread who disagree with you.
For the record- There are more people posting on my side of this topic than the other. In any case, this is not about who has the most support. This is all about discussing the topic at hand. Lacks New Years Resolution, and what it means. This Thread dose not have a poll. And it is not your job to take some haphazard one.

:idea: I think that a poll might be a good idea :idea:

I also think that it should be sent out to all CC members as an official CC poll. I think it is something like less than 10% of members have ever visited the forum. And something like, less than 1% are posters. Most people come here for the game, and not the chit-chat. It is my belief that not too many of them are in the farmer crowd. I would bet my life that this poll would show the main reason for dropping membership. I know this to be true because I have personally talked to more players than post in the forum. The overwhelming majority of players come down on my side. They are saying three things louder than anything else. And that is,

1.) They are sick and tired of all the cheating going on. They spend a lot of time logged on to CC trying to earn those ranks and badges. To be cheated by the Multies is an affront to to all their time and effort.

2.) They feel the exact same way about the Newbie Farmers.

3.) They miss their favorite map, but still enjoy the game here at CC. A lot of people that I have spoken with, say, it was the last straw that broke the camels back, and they just quit coming to play here.

........................................................................... :arrow: :(
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby Timminz on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:44 am

porkenbeans wrote:And personally, I do NOT give a rats ass, how many Farmers and cheaters I piss off. 8-)

It's statements like this, that people read, and think you're saying, "If you don't agree with everything I say, or do in these forums, you're a farmer and/or a cheat." There are a lot of us who agree with the ideas that you have, but disagree entirely with your methods.
Captain Timminz

Postby Jeff Hardy on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 am

prokenbeans, if you see someone cheat or newb-farm then go and report them in C&A but please stop going on about it in other forums
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Timminz wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:And personally, I do NOT give a rats ass, how many Farmers and cheaters I piss off. 8-)

It's statements like this, that people read, and think you're saying, "If you don't agree with everything I say, or do in these forums, you're a farmer and/or a cheat." There are a lot of us who agree with the ideas that you have, but disagree entirely with your methods.
Just read MY words. I try to be as clear and precise as I can be. You need not try to reinterpret what my meaning is. Nowhere do I even come close to saying that if you don't agree with me your a farmer or cheater. What you may not understand is, I have been singled out by those groups because I have spoke out against their little monopoly. They outnumber the CC majority, in this clubhouse of theirs, we call the forum. I came to this forum for one purpose. And that is to go after them. I have been pretty scarred up as a result. So please understand if I come off a bit strong. I am severely outnumbered by a very determined group of knuckleheads. My fists are kept swinging constantly.

I want to apologize if I have inadvertently hit the wrong person in this skirmish. That said, It is time to fire my canon again.

It occurred to me that there may be some multi-cheater scumbags hiding in plain site among these threads. All the Farmers are here taking shots at me, so where are the cheaters that I have gone to war with ? It would make since that they would be in this fight. I cant say who they are. And I am not accusing anyone directly, I am just wondering out loud.

Do I think that everyone that does not agree with me, are cheaters ? "NO".
Do cheaters agree with me ? "NO".

If you do agree with my positions on these subjects, But think that I go about it the wrong way, Please forgive me. Sometimes it is hard to tell friend from foe in this little war. You know its kind of funny, I came to CC to play a war game called RISK, but find myself in a much different war game than I had intended. I look forward to the time, when I can go back to the Risk games, and leave this forum to those of you that like the chit-chat.

........................................................Not that theres' anything wrong with that. hehehe. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby lancehoch on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:46 pm

poerkenbeans, you have derailed this topic and other topics to try and push forward your views. If you believe that someone is farming or cheating make a report in C&A. If you would like to talk about this situation in private, please PM me.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:40 pm

porkenbeans, if you're so intent on this rule, take it to the owner of the site. The rest of us are pretty annoyed by your posts, and it would be much more effective to rant at the person who can actually make the ruling, and not the users who simply frequent this site.
Highest Rank = 2048Image
Kotaro Fuma, The Terror of Death
Private Kotaro

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:26 pm

lancehoch wrote:poerkenbeans, you have derailed this topic and other topics to try and push forward your views. If you believe that someone is farming or cheating make a report in C&A. If you would like to talk about this situation in private, please PM me.
I have pmd you. You have yet to respond after a week.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby King_Herpes on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I have pmd you. You have yet to respond after a week.

That's because you are creepy and the title of the p.m. most likely read something like, <3 Let's Talk About Cheating and Farming Forever <3. You should try to be a bit less clingy.
Sergeant 1st Class King_Herpes

Medals: 70
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (5)
General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives