New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Jeff Hardy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 am

if you see someone farming then report them in the Cheating & Abuse forum

is it that hard to understand?
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby King_Herpes on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am

Jeff Hardy wrote:if you see someone farming then report them in the Cheating & Abuse forum

is it that hard to understand?

So...let me get this straight, I can accuse people of doing what I perceive as farming. By making a report in some place called the Cheating & Abuse forum without slandering their names in General Discussions and incessantly pointing at their games with a laser pointer?

Nice.
Sergeant 1st Class King_Herpes

Medals: 70
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (5)
General Contribution (1)

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm

King_Herpes wrote:So...let me get this straight, I can accuse people of doing what I perceive as farming. By making a report in some place called the Cheating & Abuse forum without slandering their names in General Discussions and incessantly pointing at their games with a laser pointer?

Nice.

you left out the whole offensive ugly cat avatar... that is essential for these activities... the black jesus has spoken...-0
Brett loves Christy Green!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby sailorseal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I think New Recruits shouldn't be able to start games and can't receive PMs from players not on their buddy list
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby Timminz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 pm

sailorseal wrote:I think New Recruits shouldn't be able to start games and can't receive PMs from players not on their buddy list

Careful there. Some people don't understand sarcasm.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
Captain Timminz

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby demonfork on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 pm

owenshooter wrote:
King_Herpes wrote:So...let me get this straight, I can accuse people of doing what I perceive as farming. By making a report in some place called the Cheating & Abuse forum without slandering their names in General Discussions and incessantly pointing at their games with a laser pointer?

Nice.

you left out the whole offensive ugly cat avatar... that is essential for these activities... the black jesus has spoken...-0

That is f-ing hilarious :lol:
Captain demonfork

Medals: 58
Conqueror Achievement (1) Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby FarangDemon on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:28 am

artimis wrote:NEWBIE: A new comer who is highly inexperienced and not too familiar with the rules or how to play the game.
LOWBIE: Formerly a NEWBIE that has been around long enough to pick up the game and start winning, but is not particularly successful for whatever reason.

Big difference, LOWBIES are aware of the dangers of playing, know how to play and can(if they work hard enough) win games.

You are not adding anything to this discussion that anybody, even myself, did not know or agree with. We all know Lack was talking about Newbie farming. However, I think we should take seriously his stated concern that the scoreboard should represent a player's skill as opposed to decision to employ harvesting techniques. This transcends Newbie farming because it is possible to harvest cooks and cadets - they dead beat a lot, have poor strategy and/or don't read game chat. If you can play on certain map settings against players of such low skill/motivation that they will win less than 1 in 21 games against an organized, skilled team, that team can be harvested by farmers. (5 points * 20 losses = 100 points lost, 100 points * 1 win = 100 points gained)

If functionality were provided to search past games by rank of the players, we could easily calculate just how often an all cook/cadet team is able to win against a team with at least one colonel or brig. If they lose more than 20 out of 21 times that would prove the efficacy of the harvesting technique. Maybe on straightforward maps instead of waterloo or conquerman they can actually win 1 out of 21 games. Then we would just need to extend the current New Recruit map restriction to cooks and cadets.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think so. Why don't we let numbers decide?

Lack likes numbers and I think he employed similar methods to determine that Newbie farming was a viable harvesting technique. So if the mods won't enforce his stated position against harvesting techniques and he is truly concerned about the problem, he will crunch the numbers on this one to determine if cadet/cook targeting is indeed a viable harvesting technique.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby chipv on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:52 am

FarangDemon wrote:If functionality were provided to search past games by rank of the players, we could easily calculate just how often an all cook/cadet team is able to win against a team with at least one colonel or brig. If they lose more than 20 out of 21 times that would prove the efficacy of the harvesting technique. Maybe on straightforward maps instead of waterloo or conquerman they can actually win 1 out of 21 games. Then we would just need to extend the current New Recruit map restriction to cooks and cadets.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think so. Why don't we let numbers decide?

If you looked at the problem slightly differently you would actually be able to work this out yourself - functionality exists for you, just not exactly in the same direction as your way of looking at this problem.
Colonel chipv

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Postby Artimis on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am

FarangDemon wrote:You are not adding anything to this discussion that anybody, even myself, did not know or agree with.

That makes two of us.

FarangDemon wrote:This transcends Newbie farming because it is possible to harvest cooks and cadets - they dead beat a lot, have poor strategy and/or don't read game chat.

That as may be, they certainly didn't do any of that in the games I played with KH.

FarangDemon wrote:Then we would just need to extend the current New Recruit map restriction to cooks and cadets.

So you're suggesting an effective ban on certain maps for players with a low score? No thank you very much! They can't learn the map if they can't play, it's as simple as that. Also I personally object on the grounds that my score dips regularly when I suddenly go on a new map try out blitz. So I would most definitely not appreciate being barred from newer, harder and more interesting maps just because I couldn't give a flying toss about my score! :evil:

FarangDemon wrote:I could be totally wrong, but I don't think so. Why don't we let numbers decide?

Yes, no and sure.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Major Artimis

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Jeff Hardy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:40 am

farang, this has been said before but you never seem to read it (you certainly dont reply)... you abuse the scoring system by asking high ranked players to set up private games for you and your partner to join, your partner being a striper

you deserve to win and lose 20 points per games but i remember only taking 14 so you stole 6 points there which is more than what id gain if i played a cadet or a cook!

stop abusing the system yourself or just shut up
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby GENERAL STONEHAM on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Jeff stop your hypocricy in this thread. You have repeatedly teased me with multiple p.m.s that you'd play me. But, you always try to put HUGE restrictions on the type of game you want to play. Or, you'll pm me at some awkward time about some illusional speed game, especially when I told you that I just don't have the time for one, at the time of your constant e-mails.

You have shown how precious your points mean to you.

Telling players to shut up is not only rude, but shows what a hypocrite you are.
Sergeant 1st Class GENERAL STONEHAM

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby 40kguy on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby Robinette on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 am

Make the BAD farmers STOP
Brigadier Robinette

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby freakns on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm

first of all, im a newbie. well, i still havent finished 20 games, so, im a newbie. right?

with that said, i dont think you should ban someone for playing with newbies. i mean, being a newbie isnt the same as being an idiot.

look at this game:
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3898106
group of good rated players got bitten by a newbie and some cooks. all you need to do this is conversation between teammates...

also, who cares about points? if someone is that much obsessed with fake success, then let him/her have it... having fun and playing with my m8s is much more important in my book :)
Brigadier freakns

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Artimis on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:09 am

freakns wrote:also, who cares about points? if someone is that much obsessed with fake success, then let him/her have it... having fun and playing with my m8s is much more important in my book :)

Hear! Hear! I couldn't agree more. :D
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Major Artimis

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives