New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Aradhus wrote:So.. How much research was actually done on this subject? (Or did the "research" amount to 20 to 30 regulars everyday screaming "farmers farmers kill them ban them they ruin teh siiiteeeeee!" until the admin couldn't take it anymore..

1 - If somebody sent me a personal message minutes after I joined this site, asking me if I wanted to play a game, I would have thought "wow, this looks like a friendly place."

2 - Would I have gotten my ass kicked? Yes, actually my first game I did get my ass kicked, and I'm pretty positive that stands for about 99%(at least) of all the players that join CC. Regardless of who they played.

3 - If there was research done on farming etc, new players, the like, is it available to the'community'? Can I read it, andwas any information compiled on freestyle team farming, uh I mean games. Freestyle team games, I said farming, I meant games.
look whos' screaming now. lol. :lol:
You guys just do not get it. People come here to play risk, ...NOT rape the newbie.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Mr Changsha on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 am

'Newbie Farming is not Cool.' - agreed.

Also agree with the measures to limit ?'s games.

Concerned about the threatened point resets. Has the whiff of a witch hunt to me - witness the post directly above mine from porkenbeans.

Best way is to control the kinds of games that can be played from now, rather than to go back over certain player's records. Fact is, there is an incredible number of players at all ranks who farm either a lot or a bit, yet it will be the 'famous' players who get the big stick.

The previous system was flawed, hence the farming. Blame the concept more than the protagonists. Sorting out the concept (and Lack seems to be moving towards this) will do far more good for this site, then having threads, threads and more threads in the 'Cheating and Abuse' Forum accusing various players of farming.

That would be very bad for the site indeed.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Mr Changsha
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Aradhus on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Aradhus wrote:So.. How much research was actually done on this subject? (Or did the "research" amount to 20 to 30 regulars everyday screaming "farmers farmers kill them ban them they ruin teh siiiteeeeee!" until the admin couldn't take it anymore..

1 - If somebody sent me a personal message minutes after I joined this site, asking me if I wanted to play a game, I would have thought "wow, this looks like a friendly place."

2 - Would I have gotten my ass kicked? Yes, actually my first game I did get my ass kicked, and I'm pretty positive that stands for about 99%(at least) of all the players that join CC. Regardless of who they played.

3 - If there was research done on farming etc, new players, the like, is it available to the'community'? Can I read it, andwas any information compiled on freestyle team farming, uh I mean games. Freestyle team games, I said farming, I meant games.
look whos' screaming now. lol. :lol:
You guys just do not get it. People come here to play risk, ...NOT rape the newbie.



What the hell are you talking about? Why did you quote my post?

Have you read the rules to this forum? Exactly what contribution did your post make to the topic?

Zero - spam
User avatar
Major Aradhus
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 pm
Location: Commie Central
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:19 am

Aradhus wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
Aradhus wrote:So.. How much research was actually done on this subject? (Or did the "research" amount to 20 to 30 regulars everyday screaming "farmers farmers kill them ban them they ruin teh siiiteeeeee!" until the admin couldn't take it anymore..

1 - If somebody sent me a personal message minutes after I joined this site, asking me if I wanted to play a game, I would have thought "wow, this looks like a friendly place."

2 - Would I have gotten my ass kicked? Yes, actually my first game I did get my ass kicked, and I'm pretty positive that stands for about 99%(at least) of all the players that join CC. Regardless of who they played.

3 - If there was research done on farming etc, new players, the like, is it available to the'community'? Can I read it, andwas any information compiled on freestyle team farming, uh I mean games. Freestyle team games, I said farming, I meant games.
look whos' screaming now. lol. :lol:
You guys just do not get it. People come here to play risk, ...NOT rape the newbie.



What the hell are you talking about? Why did you quote my post?

Have you read the rules to this forum? Exactly what contribution did your post make to the topic?

Zero - spam
If you do not know how to read, Maybe your mommy can read it for you.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby kmhebert on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:28 am

I still don't see what the problem is. People lose and never come back? Is that happening a lot? I lose a lot, it's all good. Who knows. I just think it is going to be extremely subjective, what will the guidelines be?
Image
User avatar
Captain kmhebert
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: Brimfield Massachusetts USA
Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (17)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby prismsaber on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:37 am

Farming is pretty much....you know it when you see it.
Colonel prismsaber
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Illinois
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (12)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Itrade on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 am

I used to set up loads and loads of cardless foggy 8-player Age of Merchant maps. I did this because between the deadbeats and people who didn't understand the map, my chances of winning were highly increased, and every so often when a skilled player would join the games, he would provide a challenge and some fun.

It was only when someone called me a noob farmer did I look up what that meant and realize that a huge majority of the members I was playing against were new recruits. That wasn't my intention when I made the maps, I had made it so I could either play against people who knew the map well and provided a good challenge or against people who knew the map less than me so that I had a better chance against them. If I had a way to stop the new recruits from joining the game, I would've used it.

Now I don't have to find a way to stop new recruits from joining my game because Lack's done that for me! Yay! This update is awesome!
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Itrade
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:14 am
Location: Malaysia
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 am

Itrade wrote:I used to set up loads and loads of cardless foggy 8-player Age of Merchant maps. I did this because between the deadbeats and people who didn't understand the map, my chances of winning were highly increased, and every so often when a skilled player would join the games, he would provide a challenge and some fun.

It was only when someone called me a noob farmer did I look up what that meant and realize that a huge majority of the members I was playing against were new recruits. That wasn't my intention when I made the maps, I had made it so I could either play against people who knew the map well and provided a good challenge or against people who knew the map less than me so that I had a better chance against them. If I had a way to stop the new recruits from joining the game, I would've used it.

Now I don't have to find a way to stop new recruits from joining my game because Lack's done that for me! Yay! This update is awesome!
You are not Noob farming when you start a public game. You are not intentionally going after new recruits. Unless you pm them to join your games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:12 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Itrade wrote:I used to set up loads and loads of cardless foggy 8-player Age of Merchant maps. I did this because between the deadbeats and people who didn't understand the map, my chances of winning were highly increased, and every so often when a skilled player would join the games, he would provide a challenge and some fun.

It was only when someone called me a noob farmer did I look up what that meant and realize that a huge majority of the members I was playing against were new recruits. That wasn't my intention when I made the maps, I had made it so I could either play against people who knew the map well and provided a good challenge or against people who knew the map less than me so that I had a better chance against them. If I had a way to stop the new recruits from joining the game, I would've used it.

Now I don't have to find a way to stop new recruits from joining my game because Lack's done that for me! Yay! This update is awesome!
You are not Noob farming when you start a public game. You are not intentionally going after new recruits. Unless you pm them to join your games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing.



Really? I think a game like that is just the type they are trying to stop. Who would want to play a no cards foggy on that map? Not many at all. Hence the point farmers, picked maps like Circus Maximus, Battle For Iraq, Waterloo, etc. They knew normal people did not like those settings generally, so they would get noobs who just click the first game they see on the join a game page.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Major Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9505
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby demonfork on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:22 am

Bruceswar wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
Itrade wrote:I used to set up loads and loads of cardless foggy 8-player Age of Merchant maps. I did this because between the deadbeats and people who didn't understand the map, my chances of winning were highly increased, and every so often when a skilled player would join the games, he would provide a challenge and some fun.

It was only when someone called me a noob farmer did I look up what that meant and realize that a huge majority of the members I was playing against were new recruits. That wasn't my intention when I made the maps, I had made it so I could either play against people who knew the map well and provided a good challenge or against people who knew the map less than me so that I had a better chance against them. If I had a way to stop the new recruits from joining the game, I would've used it.

Now I don't have to find a way to stop new recruits from joining my game because Lack's done that for me! Yay! This update is awesome!
You are not Noob farming when you start a public game. You are not intentionally going after new recruits. Unless you pm them to join your games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing.



Really? I think a game like that is just the type they are trying to stop. Who would want to play a no cards foggy on that map? Not many at all. Hence the point farmers, picked maps like Circus Maximus, Battle For Iraq, Waterloo, etc. They knew normal people did not like those settings generally, so they would get noobs who just click the first game they see on the join a game page.


The day they make rules that restrict players from starting a no cards foggy battle for Iraq game, or any other type of game with similar settings, is the day I decide to not renew my premium!
User avatar
Captain demonfork
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 pm
Location: Your moms house
Medals: 58
Conqueror Achievement (1) Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby hulmey on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:54 am

^^^well cya....However and this is directed at the admins! You cant chop and changes rules as you please. Some people have paid for a product and you go and change it, tsk tsk. Its only $25 and thats why i wont take the matter further ;)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
User avatar
Lieutenant hulmey
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 am
Location: Las Vegas
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby daydream on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 am

hulmey wrote:^^^well cya....However and this is directed at the admins! You cant chop and changes rules as you please. Some people have paid for a product and you go and change it, tsk tsk. Its only $25 and thats why i wont take the matter further ;)


haven't you left a few times already?
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant daydream
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Germany
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby sensfan on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 am

Good job lack! Isn't it CC's birthday?
Image

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516


I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:05 am
Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (1)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby daydream on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 am

i would like to request feudal war be added to the list of maps ?'s cant see in gamefinder and join a game... i have never had so many ?'s join my games before... and i certainly never wanted to be a farmer.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant daydream
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Germany
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: New Years Resolution: Newbie Farming is not Cool.

Postby assassin07 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:08 am

yes about time they put up some rules about this
Image
Brigadier assassin07
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:22 am
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Endgame422 and 1 guest

Login