Conquer Club

Random Map

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Random Map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:50 am

WidowMakers wrote:It should randomize these variables
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

it would then be truly random and serve its purpose. By eliminating speed, there are no issues with people getting kicked out due to timing.

I still think there should be an option to select Freestyle and Sequential, while leaving other features blank.

Number of players seems like it could be problematic, but I can see where it might be fun.

If these other features are added, I like the original suggestion to allow some to be excluded... at least the team versus non team and Sequential versus Freestyle. I don't think there is any purpose to randomizing speed versus casual.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:58 am

I agree, there's at least a few things that have no reason to be random, random map made sense because we have a ton of them, other settings its almost pointless with the possible exception of reinforcements and spoils. Going fully random would just get kinda ridiculous.

On another note, lovin the random maps, great job implementing it! =D>
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:48 pm

If Random Map proves to be a popular feature---we can surely look into a Random Settings feature as well. But one step of randomness at time.

I wonder which will prove to be more Random---map selection, or the intensity cubes? ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:If Random Map proves to be a popular feature---we can surely look into a Random Settings feature as well. But one step of randomness at time.

I wonder which will prove to be more Random---map selection, or the intensity cubes? ;)

--Andy

Good job on both!

=D> =D> =D>
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:47 pm

I love the new random map feature.

Did my first one ever against my bro.

Kicked his ass on a map I've never played before.

Sweet feature.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby hecter on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

-Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

it would then be truly random and serve its purpose. By eliminating speed, there are no issues with people getting kicked out due to timing.

No, it wouldn't serve it's purpose. Notice how it's called "Random Map" and not "Random Game"? Besides, that'd be kinda dumb... I wouldn't like that. I wouldn't, however, mind another little radio button beside each of the options that'll randomize it.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby sully800 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:17 pm

hecter wrote:
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

No, it wouldn't serve it's purpose. Notice how it's called "Random Map" and not "Random Game"? Besides, that'd be kinda dumb... I wouldn't like that. I wouldn't, however, mind another little radio button beside each of the options that'll randomize it.

That's what WM is proposing. The ability to make all settings random but also to choose specific settings to randomize. I agree that its a good idea, but as Andy said we should first make sure that the random map feature is popular. I like it at least!
Major sully800

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 am

sully800 wrote:
That's what WM is proposing. The ability to make all settings random but also to choose specific settings to randomize. I agree that its a good idea, but as Andy said we should first make sure that the random map feature is popular. I like it at least!

What does it matter if it is popular. Never stopped CC before. LOL
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby stringybeany on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:50 am

Since I am now playing an AOR3 escalating sunny game through the random map process, it occurs to me that it might be wise to have the random feature select the settings that are most popular for any particular map?

I would be more inclined to use the random feature in that case. Then we would be less likely to get caught in games that are likely to stalemate or play poorly. After all we all know that certain maps are bad with certain settings. It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to have the random feature pick the most common settings for each map, and thus reduce the risk of a bad setup?

??
Captain stringybeany

Postby Nephilim on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:16 am

i love it.....and i'm also wondering (someone else has probably said this), are we gonna be able to search for spots in public random games?

i.e. you need to make a "random map" tab on the game finder, so we can search for public, random, waiting-for-player games....unless it's already there and i'm just not seeing it....
Liberté, egalité, cash moné

Hey, Fox News: Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

My heart beats with unconditional love
But beware of the blackness that it's capable of
Captain Nephilim

Postby lackattack on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 am

Nephilim wrote:i love it.....and i'm also wondering (someone else has probably said this), are we gonna be able to search for spots in public random games?

i.e. you need to make a "random map" tab on the game finder, so we can search for public, random, waiting-for-player games....unless it's already there and i'm just not seeing it....

Random is listed as one of the maps in the game finder. Just scroll down to the bottom of the list.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:48 am

stringybeany wrote:Since I am now playing an AOR3 escalating sunny game through the random map process, it occurs to me that it might be wise to have the random feature select the settings that are most popular for any particular map?
I would be more inclined to use the random feature in that case. Then we would be less likely to get caught in games that are likely to stalemate or play poorly. After all we all know that certain maps are bad with certain settings. It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to have the random feature pick the most common settings for each map, and thus reduce the risk of a bad setup?
??

I would hate this. Since I typically prefer no-spoils in large-number games and that doesn't seem to be a particularly popular setup on the site in general, that would mean I'd not normally get to randomize and gain my preference.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 am

Woodruff wrote:
stringybeany wrote:Since I am now playing an AOR3 escalating sunny game through the random map process, it occurs to me that it might be wise to have the random feature select the settings that are most popular for any particular map?
??

I would hate this. Since I typically prefer no-spoils in large-number games and that doesn't seem to be a particularly popular setup on the site in general, that would mean I'd not normally get to randomize and gain my preference.

I agree. Even though I definitely have my preferred settings for various maps, this just rather defeats the purpose of a random map. Part of the point, I think, is to reach out and try new things.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby sully800 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 am

I wish it would still say "Random" somewhere after the game starts, because it would be nice to be able to search for completed random games to see how you do compared to when you knew what map you would be playing.
Major sully800

Postby hecter on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:21 pm

sully800 wrote:
hecter wrote:
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

No, he said that the random map feature should randomize all those settings, as opposed to just maps. Meaning, if you want a random map, you'll get a random game, you wouldn't really have a choice. If that was the intention, I apologize, it's just that that is what WM said.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:57 pm

sully800 wrote:I wish it would still say "Random" somewhere after the game starts, because it would be nice to be able to search for completed random games to see how you do compared to when you knew what map you would be playing.

Yes, I agree. I think it would be fun to see where everyone stands in that regard. In fact, I personally think this would be a very valuable scoreboard idea.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:00 pm

hecter wrote:
sully800 wrote:
hecter wrote:
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

No, he said that the random map feature should randomize all those settings, as opposed to just maps. Meaning, if you want a random map, you'll get a random game, you wouldn't really have a choice. If that was the intention, I apologize, it's just that that is what WM said.
Actualyl I said that the feature should randomize all of the settings and teh user should be able to pick settings that would not randomize. SO if you only wanted a random map, then pick all of the other settings and hit Random. If you want to have 5 random attributes, pick the others you don't want random and then go.

My point was that there should NOT be a random map only option.
The random option should be for all attributes, (except, speed and public/private - to make sure that dead beating and non joinable games don't happen) and each player gets to pick what is and is not random.

But it does not really matter anyway. Right now we only have random maps and will need to wait for others.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:42 pm

As we mentioned earlier---if Random Map proves to be a popular feature, it can surely pave the way to a Random/Semi-Random Settings feature. One thing at a time. ;)

--Andy

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:As we mentioned earlier---if Random Map proves to be a popular feature, it can surely pave the way to a Random/Semi-Random Settings feature. One thing at a time. ;)
--Andy

It appears to be QUITE popular, actually.

Postby Gamefreakguy on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Woodruff wrote:
sully800 wrote:I wish it would still say "Random" somewhere after the game starts, because it would be nice to be able to search for completed random games to see how you do compared to when you knew what map you would be playing.

Yes, I agree. I think it would be fun to see where everyone stands in that regard. In fact, I personally think this would be a very valuable scoreboard idea.

I'm sure this will be added soon, and I'm looking forward to it - I joined a few random games and a few non-random ones and when they all started I found myself wondering whether I joined the game on this map or whether it was a random pick... it would be helpful/fun to know. :)
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby pmchugh on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 am

I like it a lot, it means you don't have to worry about the other player being a complete expert on that particular map unless your unlucky I suppose. But is it just me or does it only pick out the obscure maps 8-[ ;)
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby yowzer14 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:41 am

I like the random map, but would have preferred a random team, where the teams are made after everyone has joined...never know who you'll be matched with
Private 1st Class yowzer14

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Gamefreakguy wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I'm sure this will be added soon, and I'm looking forward to it - I joined a few random games and a few non-random ones and when they all started I found myself wondering whether I joined the game on this map or whether it was a random pick... it would be helpful/fun to know. :)

Lack is aware of this want. It actually takes a fair bit of coding---it seems he has to add another line to a database table, so it probably won't come out in the next couple of updates (I think he'd rather target the updates to larger and better things that affect more people), but he would like to get it done.

--Andy

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 pm

yowzer14 wrote:I like the random map, but would have preferred a random team, where the teams are made after everyone has joined...never know who you'll be matched with

I would love this, but there might need to be some way of keeping the ranks from being too terribly skewed.

Then again -- random is random.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Falkomagno on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I really like this idea¡¡¡ thanks CC
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives