Conquer Club

Manual Initial Troop Placement

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Manual Initial Troop Placement

Postby pmchugh on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 pm

People say it gives too much of an advantage to deploy second if you can see where the other person deployed but would't this be cancelled out by the obvious advantage of going first?

I think it could make 1v1 ore fair, one person gets to see where the other deployed the other gets to attack first.

Also this would help in team games as you would know the order prior to starting.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Johnohue on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:32 pm

SWEET! so many strategic oppourtunitees
Lieutenant Johnohue

Postby Phobia on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:37 pm

slowreactor wrote:FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, those 9 months since you joined must have been so long :? I've been waiting three years!

Thanks lack, great update =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby initus on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm

This is amazing, good job. :D
High: [Score 2660] [Rank 182] |
Major initus

Postby padsta on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 pm

this is awesome, also i think i found a setting with this that actually gives the advantage to whoever goes last

small map eg. luxembourg

assasin no cards
Captain padsta

Postby fafnirbcrow on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 pm

While I like the idea, I have to agree with the fog comment. Maybe make fog dependent on if the game is fog of war?

And also, freestyle round? eep! I know this wont work for many of the people I regularly play with, because they have only once a day access. I would love to see this with the standard round in place. I think it would go well.
Corporal fafnirbcrow

Postby sully800 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm

fafnirbcrow wrote:While I like the idea, I have to agree with the fog comment. Maybe make fog dependent on if the game is fog of war?

And also, freestyle round? eep! I know this wont work for many of the people I regularly play with, because they have only once a day access. I would love to see this with the standard round in place. I think it would go well.

The whole point of the initial round is that it works if you only have once a day access. If there was no fog, then a freestyle first round would be very unfair to this person because they would often be forced to deploy first. With the current set up, you can deploy at any time during the round and since your opponents can't see the troops they can't gain an advantage.

I definitely like the suggestion that the last player to deploy is locked out for 12 hours of the next round, because that also helps the casual gamer who cannot simply wait till the last second to guarantee themselves the first turn.
Major sully800

Postby pimphawks70 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Ass doodles are going to be insane now...
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby karelpietertje on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:16 pm

karelpietertje wrote:the double turn loop should be fixed for this as well imo...

=D> oh and of course this update is awesome!!! =D> excuse my rudeness :oops:
Major karelpietertje

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 pm

After the double-turn loophole is fixed this is the awesomest.

Try 1v1, Oasis, Manual, Freestyle, Foggy. Crazy—drop on one tert and run for the Grand Oases; who'll be there first?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Gamefreakguy on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Awesome, can't wait to get playing on it!
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:09 pm

SWEET! This is great! Thanks CC =D>
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby sully800 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:After the double-turn loophole is fixed this is the awesomest.

Try 1v1, Oasis, Manual, Freestyle, Foggy. Crazy—drop on one tert and run for the Grand Oases; who'll be there first?

Try those same settings with Adjacent Attacks when it's released and you have noob farming supreme :lol:
Major sully800

Postby AAFitz on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:15 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:After the double-turn loophole is fixed this is the awesomest.

or just auto 35 v35 and have 16 left over : )
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Re: Turn CC Into A Game of Craps

Postby pimphawks70 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:41 pm

After playing for a while I thought of a better name for this update.
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby Mr_Adams on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm gonna go make a 6 man feudal with the new setting =P
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby safetymonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 pm

:D Conquer club is finally complete!
Corporal safetymonkey

Postby redhawk92 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:27 pm

i like the new update
Captain redhawk92

Postby pmchugh on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Ok after giving it a fair shot.

1. 1v1 seq is all about luck. I tried various maps and settings and while sometimes the player going second won it was due to lucky dice.
2. Team games do not look like they will work well under these settings.

I think that this is a fun update but not great tactically for 1v1 or team games. In bigger games it could work out with some intresting outcomes though.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Robinette on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Awesome update Lack...

This will go Great with Sully's World Cities...

Oh... and as a special way to say thanks,
several of us pitched in to rent you some sexy ninja turtles for the evening...

;)
Brigadier Robinette

Postby Itrade on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 am

-Maximus- wrote:Whats wrong with sequential placement and no fog. Yes takes more rounds to even start the game, but would be the real "initial troop placement"
Could even make each map have a specific round limit to get all the troops deployed by forcing X amount of troops be placed per round.

Of course keep the freestyle fog option for those brave souls that like it.

Might as well go the whole hog and have players choose their countries one-by-one and deploy their armies two-by-two while we're at it. If you implement that, then the only thing seperating 6-player Classic Manual Sequential Escalating Unlimited Sunny from a normal tabletop Risk game is the look of the map and the amount of people bitching about the dice not being random.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby Daryth on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 am

Complete farce. Check out Game 5600334 where I haven't even had a turn yet (other than being first to deploy, which took me 12 cautious minutes as I converted all my 1s into 2s to prevent them being cannon fodder and stacked up on cannons in each of the 4 corners ready to pummel the oppo on my turn). Imagine my delight when I return to the game only to find out the oppo has made his deploys (obviously dropping 4 great stacks) AND then gets to take first turn (since when could the player who ended Round 1 - as it says in the log - start Round 2?).

I'm not a bad player on Waterloo, so something's seriously wrong if a game can be over on such a big map after just one turn.

And yes...it'll be a farmer's paradise. Already my opponent is creaming the oppo in 20 other similar games and will top the leaderboard in no time. Add to that the obvious facility to cheat (entering games with an ally and keeping your deploys away from each other) and the whole idea becomes corrupt.

Nice idea to try and recreate something close to the game we all fell in love with, but this won't work (not for fair players it won't) and is very wrong in its mechanics. More thought should have gone into it before launching it.

18 FEB 2009 - best to date.

Tournament Victories-Band or Die 2(2008),Pearl Harbor Masters(2008),Difficult Maps(2009)Awesome Foursomes(2009)
Colonel Daryth

Postby trinicardinal on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 am

AAFitz wrote:
trinicardinal wrote:Well we'll have to see how this thing works out. will try it but I don't know If i will play it regularly.... depends on how it goes

I will assume you did not enjoy how that went....sorry

Actually my post was made before our game... It went as expected... as you said it's a dangerous setting. Based on my experience of this at another site where people just drop all on 1 territ it tends to lose a lot of the strategy that like... It may just be personal preference... I'll see after a while.
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby 300spartans on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Daryth wrote:Complete farce. Check out Game 5600334 where I haven't even had a turn yet (other than being first to deploy, which took me 12 cautious minutes as I converted all my 1s into 2s to prevent them being cannon fodder and stacked up on cannons in each of the 4 corners ready to pummel the oppo on my turn). Imagine my delight when I return to the game only to find out the oppo has made his deploys (obviously dropping 4 great stacks) AND then gets to take first turn (since when could the player who ended Round 1 - as it says in the log - start Round 2?).

I'm not a bad player on Waterloo, so something's seriously wrong if a game can be over on such a big map after just one turn.

And yes...it'll be a farmer's paradise. Already my opponent is creaming the oppo in 20 other similar games and will top the leaderboard in no time. Add to that the obvious facility to cheat (entering games with an ally and keeping your deploys away from each other) and the whole idea becomes corrupt.

Nice idea to try and recreate something close to the game we all fell in love with, but this won't work (not for fair players it won't) and is very wrong in its mechanics. More thought should have gone into it before launching it.

So true. This is a complete fail and people are gonna take advantage of this way more then the old double turn loophole freestyle. There is settings for even sequential games to be a complete blow out in no time. Like he said on team games for example, every possible fort option will be made on the first turn and the worst part about it is it's done in fog. If it wasn't done in fog then people would only have themselves to blame if they didn't deploy right. The only fair way to have this automatic setting is if you can see where your opponent is dropping armies and more to pick your territories 1 by 1. So you would roll a die to see who gets the highest dice and then that person would get to pick the first territory and then turns would follow in the order that they joined after that. Once all territories are placed then you get your remaining armies to place how you see fit and then perhaps freestyle would work best at that stage. Lets use casual conquer man 8 player game for example, because it is so large it could take almost 2 months before the actual game started. Also once all territories were chose people would be waiting to the very last seconds on casual games before they make their decisions because people will place their armies based on how there opponent places for the most part. That is not very convenient for most people.
Major 300spartans

Postby Grifter on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:31 pm

For Manual placement the game should show which player will go first once placement is finished. This gives the last player a chance to set up his/her troops in a defensive pattern. The flip side is that the first player can place with an offensive pattern and jump to an early lead.
Lieutenant Grifter

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives