The Classic Map is being Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Classic Map is being Revamped

Postby ronc8649 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

lackattack wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?

I don't like fracturing identical gameplay over several maps. One reason is that it skews stats and achievement medals. Another reason is that if one version looks much better to most players, is makes sense to concentrate the games on that version.

i completely agree.

i dont like shapes at all, and i tolerated art until something new came out. when will this go down lack?
Sergeant 1st Class ronc8649

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Hatchman on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 am

lackattack wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?

I don't like fracturing identical gameplay over several maps. One reason is that it skews stats and achievement medals. Another reason is that if one version looks much better to most players, is makes sense to concentrate the games on that version.

:D
Image Dog's best friend. TSM's Goodwill Ambassador.
Colonel Hatchman

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (14)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 am

ronc8649 wrote:
lackattack wrote:

i completely agree.

i dont like shapes at all, and i tolerated art until something new came out. when will this go down lack?

Whenever the Foundry and those who contribute to the development believe it has satisfied most concerns! So if you want to expedite the process---take part in it. ;)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby b00060 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:41 am

Retiring Classic Shapes is a HUGE mistake!
Major b00060

Medals: 148
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (4)
Assassin Achievement (4) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (4) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (25) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3)

Postby Mr Changsha on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
lackattack wrote:

i completely agree.

Whenever the Foundry and those who contribute to the development believe it has satisfied most concerns! So if you want to expedite the process---take part in it. ;)

--Andy

Oh no, we are here to grumble, gripe and complain...NOT behave in a positive manner that is of benefit to the site. Who pays their cash to take part in the wonderful world of service??? We pay money, you give us a service, we then complain about the service for yet more entertainment...my god CC is 25 dollars well spent!

I've decided to get annoyed by the 'art' map this week and if that can't raise me up to new peaks of faux-mock indignation then I'll just have to find something else.

However Andy, I'm not sure you and God are singing the same tune...didn't he just say that he's not keen on keeping multiple maps with the same gameplay?

Bye bye that abomination known as 'Art'...
Colonel Mr Changsha

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby CafeT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:48 pm

b00060 wrote:Retiring Classic Shapes is a HUGE mistake!

Like mpjh said, Shapes has easy to use short names that aren't arbitrary abbreviations. For someone who likes to limit typing to prevent further hand injury (especially when there's not much time after the new turn starts in freestyle games with teams, e.g.), I think that's pretty awesome. I find that on another site people get confused with "Kam" and "CenA," and I expect similar with the new map. People will still use the "obscure" cities during gameplay, so that argument doesn't work.

Just some thoughts from someone who's finished 35 games and doesn't pay yet. :)
Last edited by CafeT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CafeT
High score: 2853/#162, 2013-03-14.
If you don't see any stars, I didn't rate you for that category. It's not a bad rating, it's not a rating.
Try a turn notifier so you will know when you can move.
Major CafeT

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3)

Postby aselwyn1 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:08 pm

i like the one with the flages and the one with the normal as what you can buy as the boradgame version
Private aselwyn1

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby SFX! on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

aselwyn1 wrote:i like the one with the [Game]flages[/Game] and the one with the normal as what you can buy as the [Game]boradgame[/Game] version

Excuse my ignorance but what do the two highlighted words mean? I'm sorry, I haven't passed 6th Grade yet :roll:.
Private 1st Class SFX!

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)

Postby mpjh on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 pm

A flages is a person that flatulates in public.

A boradgame is a boring advertising game designed to develop jingles.
Cadet mpjh

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:31 pm

mpjh wrote:A flages is a person that flatulates in public.

A boradgame is a boring advertising game designed to develop jingles.

Please do not troll and/or take this thread off-topic. Thank you.

For the map: I don't mind doing whatever. I personally hate the "map" called Classic: Art, and would only play Classic: Cities (with an Art or two thrown in), but I have no opinion.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

lackattack wrote:

Based on this comment, the announcement and in-the-map-forum posting that this new cities map that doesn't have the country shapes in the same place as the Risk, Classic Art, or Classic Shapes map so looks totally different (good, but different) but has the same attack patterns and area bonuses, is in error, and this new cities map will replace BOTH shapes and Arts, to appease the "fracturing identical gameplay" difficulty you have?

Or are you saying it's okay to fracture in two but not 3, even if some of the "teaching members" have concerns because Shapes is far easier to explain than where jimboartfan attacks pickanameartist in HolocaustTerrorarea.

(For those who'll say, "none of those names is on the Arts map" yeah, I know, but the names I used make as much sense in gameplay as what is on the Arts map, so the point is valid.)

As for the "looks better to most players" the stats show that Classic Shapes is played more often. Looking at the comments, it's about 50-50 on who prefers what, but that's only a small percentage of the population.

None of this derails Bruceswar's totally valid point about the ease of communicating gameplay and bonuses over the Shapes map. So, really, if you're going to trash only one of the two "Classic" maps, why Shapes?
Captain stahrgazer

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (7)

Postby soccerghost on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:18 pm

cool
Winner:
Three Strikes and You're Out
GR’s Common Map Tour
Ever Decreasing Circles II
Serbia's Euro 2012(Czech Republic)
Game 5955212
Game 6000000
Game 6760347
Game 10361079
Game 10364001
Game 10881389
Why did Bobby drop his Ice Cream?
He was hit by a bus.
Cook soccerghost

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3)

Postby kmhebert on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 pm

This is a great idea. GREAT! Wow! Now that I see it it seems both brilliant and essential.
Captain kmhebert

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (17)

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 pm

lackattack wrote:

While normally I would agree, but now it has been a year and I think it is in the best interest of the site to keep all 3. Why you ask? We are all so used to them now it can do nothing but harm. When we had the switch and bait pulled a year ago many left the site and traffic went way down. Yes even in Peak season. The removal of shapes would be a loss of a great teaching tool. Teaching produces better players and I think the chance of more premiums, since players feel they are not just getting abused in games and have a chance to win.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Should've waited 6 days (from today) to announce it.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives