The Classic Map is being Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Media Team, Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Classic Map is being Revamped

Postby Vitani on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:05 pm

I know I'm a n00b here, but I really like the Classic Shapes map, it's so easy to learn how to play on (I'd never played and Risk-like games before finding this site). Can't you revamp it by dropping the shapes (just use colours?), and modernising the graphics, but keep the layout simple (i.e. not geographically accurate) and keep the coördinate-like names?

It's one of my favourite maps, mainly for its simplicity, please don't remove it.
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Commander9 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 am

Look's great and I really appreciate this work being done, as Classic Shapes and Art never really got me into them.
Lieutenant Commander9

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 pm

nice job
JR's Game Profile

show
Colonel JOHNNYROCKET24

Medals: 136
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (24)
General Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (2)

Postby Blitzaholic on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:30 pm

MrBenn wrote:Ahoy, Fellow members of CC!

For those of us who have been here some time, the loss of the Classic Map was a sad day. The invasion of the Shapes was something that not even HG Wells or Arthur Clark had foreseen. From the pit of despondency, an elite squad of mapmakers were thrown together to assemble a replacement, and thus Classic Art was born! (Although Turtle World was almost a strong contender)

The time has finally come for Classic Shapes to be reinvigorated and be given the facelift it so strongly deserves and needs. The mapmaking elite - in consultation with the foundry moderators and lackattack himself - have given the green light for the map-formerly-known-as-world-cities to be revamped as the New Classic Map.

There is still a little bit of work to be done before the Revamped Classic will emerge from the Foundry Forge - please feel free to head over and add your support or thoughts while we hammer things out. in the meantime, let us take a trip down memory lane and embrace the future:
Link to higher-resolution image (2.5MB)

--MrBenn

Edit: Just to clarify, it is only Classic Shapes that is being revamped and replaced. Classic Art will remain alongside the new Classic - at least in the short term.

Link to Official Classic Revamp thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=468&t=97975
Link to The map-formerly-known-as-World-Cities: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=468&t=81704

when is the day of the release?
General Blitzaholic

Medals: 129
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (1)

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Ahoy, Fellow members of CC!

For those of us who have been here some time, the loss of the Classic Map was a sad day. The invasion of the Shapes was something that not even HG Wells or Arthur Clark had foreseen. From the pit of despondency, an elite squad of mapmakers were thrown together to assemble a replacement, and thus Classic Art was born! (Although Turtle World was almost a strong contender)

The time has finally come for Classic Shapes to be reinvigorated and be given the facelift it so strongly deserves and needs. The mapmaking elite - in consultation with the foundry moderators and lackattack himself - have given the green light for the map-formerly-known-as-world-cities to be revamped as the New Classic Map.

There is still a little bit of work to be done before the Revamped Classic will emerge from the Foundry Forge - please feel free to head over and add your support or thoughts while we hammer things out. in the meantime, let us take a trip down memory lane and embrace the future:
Link to higher-resolution image (2.5MB)

--MrBenn

Edit: Just to clarify, it is only Classic Shapes that is being revamped and replaced. Classic Art will remain alongside the new Classic - at least in the short term.

Link to Official Classic Revamp thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=468&t=97975
Link to The map-formerly-known-as-World-Cities: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=468&t=81704

when is the day of the release?

No set date. It'll be done when the community thinks it's done.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby Dunk90 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:01 am

KEEP ART!!!!!!!!! I've gotten used to it as my primary 1 vs 1 map!! DO NOT REPLACE IT
I like to kick ass and chew bubble gum and right now I'm out of bubble gum......
Sergeant 1st Class Dunk90

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby Coronaholic on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:53 pm

oh god, not the classics. I love those
Cook Coronaholic

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby nutster on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

ok that map is awesome conquerclub is the best darn thing you can play tell your friends to play
Cook nutster

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby 2playful4u2 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

I havent been on here in a good while.

So is there a classic map with the regular board game borders to the territories anymore?

And if not, there should be. I like to play the standard board game with the standard territories and the standard borders. This new classic looks good but doesnt have that?
Sergeant 1st Class 2playful4u2

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:50 pm

The Classic Map of old, have to be REVAMPed (a number of times) to avoid copyright issues and to find a suitable replacement that the Community can enjoy. The current iteration is the final REVAMP. Certain necessary changes were made, but I think with this iteration, most of the Community is behind it as a suitable replacement.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Also the gameplay (territories, bonuses, connections) is exactly the same.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives