Classic Cities: Madrid [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities: Madrid [8/12] Pg 1/12 xml submitted

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 am

Will look at the names given later on today, but right now with your names, I do see no reason to change them to your suggestions. Why, because even though you say you have lived in Madrid and not heard of some of these places, that does not mean they do not exist. Some of the others like the airport is not even on the map. It would be way out to the top right of the map. Some of these buildings with the territs named after them are named that, not after any particular district. You mentioned that Ventilla is not a nice district, but that is no reason to remove it. Their are many parts of the world that are not nice, but we still have maps of them. But I will go through the names more closely later for you and see if any do need to be changed. Surbatan is correct for that territ. Sur may not be necessary but from what I have read and seen, it is OK.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby 100023690 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 am

i only try to help you, of course i don´t have any interest in that you change any or nothing in the map,
i am not saying that those places doesn´t exit, but are so rare or unknown for people that if you change the name of map of madrid for barcelona or Valencia maybe won´t be problem because in all citys there are these names.
about airport, check the map,it is there :-)
and Ventilla is a famous district by drugs,and it is right on the other side on the map, i think it is not a big or representative district in madrid to be signed, there are a lot of districts bigger and more important thar are not signed in the map
Batan is a small "district "very close to Casa de Campo ( zoo,Amusement park,)but really is part of the another bigger district named La Latina and it is so small that doesn´t have north-south-east or west.

greetinga ;-)
Lieutenant 100023690

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 am

about airport, check the map,it is there :-)

Not saying Madrid does not have an airport, just saying it is not anywhere close to the maps borders.
Ventilla is a famous district by drugs

So what, can anyone name a city that does not have these problems and give a reason why these places should not be represented on a map if it is an area covered?
There may be other districts, but these are the ones that have been chosen over the coarse of the maps development over the last few months. And no territ has been named after a district, they have all been named after buildings are parts of areas.

Here are some of the photos used for my drawings.

Not all of the buildings are accurate, but when you turn a picture that is 500+ pixel photo into a 50 pixel drawing, a lot of the detail is lost. But all names are accurate. This has been discussed a lot throughout the thread. Spent the last hour or so looking at your names and not one can I find worth a change. Some are not on the map whilst others are a personal choice. If I changed them for you, what is to say someone else would not come in and say, put them back. This late in the game, it is a judgement call by me. But thanks for the look in.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby 100023690 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm

lol it seems you are doing me a favour.
ok, i sent you the ideas, but you don´t want heard,so i won´t spent more time on it
clearly a lot of spanish guys sent you a message in this thread about Madrid and you looked for the best info too.

greetings ;-(
Lieutenant 100023690

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 pm

100023690 wrote:lol it seems you are doing me a favour.
ok, i sent you the ideas, but you don´t want heard,so i won´t spent more time on it
clearly a lot of spanish guys sent you a message in this thread about Madrid and you looked for the best info too.

greetings ;-(

Not doing you a favour, just doing what I have to do as a map maker.
I heard all your ides for names, but I did see no good reason for a change.
Yep, when I do a map of anywhere, I send a mass PM to around a 100 or so from that country, I tend to be lucky if one or two stay and help like this map, but mostly I get mass PMs back saying do this or that. I like the map and the buildings chosen where also done for their different looks more than what is famous.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Conchobar on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 am

Loving Sydney & Pot Mosbi so far. Please do Classic City London! :D The current London map sucks! :P
Colonel Conchobar

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (12)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:16 am

Conchobar wrote:Loving Sydney & Pot Mosbi so far. Please do Classic City London! :D The current London map sucks! :P

Current London map may not be to my liking but it is liked. I may get round to doing another one a lot later when we have more CC maps.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:45 am

XML looks good!

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks nobodies.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I am posting this here as a thread in the Spanish forum has been set up about this map.

I have had to use google translate. I see some of you have posted in the thread already but I fell that a fuller answer here would also be helpful. Sorry if I have butchered your language.
Guys, I understand this map may not be to everyone's taste. It has taken me many months and many drafts to get this far. When I started the map, I sent a PM to around 100 players that have Spain as country. I recieved many replys and a few even posted in the thread. The buildings that I chose to draw on the map where given to me by a Madrid native. I wanted to do something slightly different which is why, under the guidence of the player and the map moderators I zoomed right in to the centre of the map. I am sure that their are many buildings that could of been used, and many areas that also could of been depicted, but these ones where chosen for a couple of reasons. I wanted to use many well known buildings and some not so well known. Secondly, I wanted to use buildings that looked different and interesting. This is why you can see Atocha and Moncloa next to Mezquita de Omar. I have all through the thread taken requests on which buildings to use and names of the territs.
These have been done many times and have changed many times. No matter what a map maker puts onto his maps, someone will always disagree with the decision. I have to then make the decision on what to use and what to discard. I know it may sound harsh but I am sure you will understand that at some point a map must be the map makers.

He tenido que usar el traductor de google para leer esto y enviar una respuesta. Veo que algunos de ustedes han escrito en el hilo ya, pero me caí de que una respuesta más completa aquí también sería útil. Lo siento si he matado su idioma.
Chicos, yo entiendo este mapa puede no ser del gusto de todos. Me ha tomado muchos meses y muchos borradores para llegar hasta aquí. Cuando empecé el mapa, le envié un PM a alrededor de 100 jugadores que tienen a España como país. He recibido muchas respuestas y algunos incluso ha escrito en el hilo. Los edificios que he elegido para dibujar en el mapa donde que me dio un nativo de Madrid. Yo quería hacer algo un poco diferente por lo que, bajo la lineamientos establecidos del jugador y los moderadores del mapa Metí el zoom justo en el centro del mapa. Estoy seguro de que sus muchos edificios que podría haber sido utilizado, y muchas áreas que podrían también ha representado de, pero estos fueron escogidos por un par de razones. Quería usar muchos edificios muy conocidos y otros no tan bien conocido. En segundo lugar, quería utilizar los edificios que se vean diferente e interesante. Por ello, se puede ver Atocha y Moncloa junto a Mezquita de Omar. Tengo todo a través de las solicitudes de rosca tomadas en el que los edificios de uso y los nombres de los territs.
Estos se han hecho muchas veces y han cambiado muchas veces. No importa lo que un cartógrafo pone sobre sus mapas, siempre hay alguien que esté en desacuerdo con la decisión. Tengo que hacer entonces la decisión sobre qué usar y qué desechar.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:35 am

betiko wrote:entiendo que sea dificil, pero la verdad es que estoy de acuerdo con los compañeros... me hubiera gustado algo mas realista.
Tambien me sorprende el uso del rio que no es algo muy notable en la ciudad. Por otra parte, me extraña que no se haya utilizado el eje de la castellana por ejemplo, y que no se hallan puesto nombres de barrios tipicos Madrileños. Yo desde luego no reconozco la ciudad en absoluto. Y para decirte la verdad koontz, nunca te he visto hacer un mapa que me disguste tanto graficamente.

betiko, como por realista, he hecho mapas como antes y que todos los mapas que he tratado de hacer, he tratado de hacer algo un poco diferente al anterior. En cuanto al río, nadie puede negar que el Madrid tiene un río, por pequeño que sea. En algunos lugares de las fotos, parece que puede saltar por encima de ella, en otros grandes puentes que abarcan. En cuanto a los nombres de los barrios típicos, se me pidió en algún momento para pensar de forma diferente acerca de los nombres. Tenemos muchos mapas que utilizan nombres de barrios, y aunque esto puede ser bueno, yo decido ir por un camino diferente. De ahí los nombres de los edificios.

ImageImage

show: English translation from google
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:40 am

I have to be honest with you koontz...I have no idea how this passed the graphics stage.

If we get you some comments, would you be willing to review this? Like, majorly?

Also, you signature is far too big.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 am

ManBungalow wrote:I have to be honest with you koontz...I have no idea how this passed the graphics stage.

If we get you some comments, would you be willing to review this? Like, majorly?

Also, you signature is far too big.

No. While it may not be to your taste, this is what it is. Even the sig is not even that large (only 8 pixels high in the large one :roll: ).
isaiah40 wrote:Darn you koontz!! You're making my job easy on this one! :lol: I liked this map from day one. I'll look at it a little close in the next couple of days.

ironsij0287 wrote:I think this looks great. Perhaps the best looking of the World City maps to come down the pipe recently. =D>

Dukasaur wrote:It is beautiful... I think you've managed to capture the riot of bright colours that one associates with Iberia.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm

I meant your forum signature btw
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 am

ManBungalow wrote:I meant your forum signature btw

Really MB, is this the place to discuss that?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas