Dark Continent (Colonial Africa) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Colonial Africa 1.6

Postby The Bison King on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Your legend has been afflicted by Typoes!

Landing Territories: +1 with the corrEsponding European power. They can be 1 way assAUlted by any European power and can attack their corrEsponding power.

And why can't we use a symbol instead of a text list for which territories are which? Text lists are a near-guarantee of confusion.

Yes typos are abbuond, and you're probably right that a symbol would be less confusing. Personally I don't really like symbols but I can see where it would clean up the legend and make things easier to follow. That being said, this is a rather big change in the fundamental gameplay that you didn't comment on. What is your opinion of the actual change and not just the superficial elements that came with it?

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm an adherent in the No Problem Don't Mention ethos a little bit too much it seems. I see nothing wrong with it at all, and since in function it's almost identical to the former fleets (and more directly connected to New World's mechanic) it shouldn't be crazily messed up.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby The Bison King on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm an adherent in the No Problem Don't Mention ethos a little bit too much it seems. I see nothing wrong with it at all, and since in function it's almost identical to the former fleets (and more directly connected to New World's mechanic) it shouldn't be crazily messed up.

ah more of a "light touch" then. ok, well good. Yeah I think over all it should work pretty well, there are only 2 things that are a little bit weird.

One is that the Ottomans don't have a landing territory. Essentially all this means is that there is no direct link to "Ottoman" from Africa. This shouldn't be too weird since the empire is pretty close but still... The thing is that they really lost most of their African claims at this point. I might be able to justify adding an Ottoman territory between Lybia and France. It's not exactly historically accurate but it will make Gameplay a little more fair.

The other thing is that Britain has 3 landing spots. That is simultaneously an advantage and a disadvantage (since it offers more +1 bonuses but also more routes back to the homeland) so technically it should even out. There's a couple solutions. 1 is that I make Zululand a regular territory in the South Africa bonus. It makes sense but I like having a route from Europe to the extreme south of the map. Also I can turn British Somalia (or the hilariously labeled "B.S.") into French occupied Djibouti. I could do either of these independently or in tandem.

Or option 3 which might make the most sense. Make Zululand a regular territory & make B.S. an Ottoman Landing point. This would give each European power exactly 1 Landing point. The only thing about that is that I lose a European connection to The South of Africa (unless I just wipe Gold Coast as a territory all together) and it'll take some wonky backwards thinking to Justify making B.S. a Ottoman territory (which I am ok with for the sake of fair gameplay.)

Sergeant The Bison King

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby $nakeface on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Or option 3 which might make the most sense. Make Zululand a regular territory & make B.S. an Ottoman Landing point. This would give each European power exactly 1 Landing point. The only thing about that is that I lose a European connection to The South of Africa (unless I just wipe Gold Coast as a territory all together) and it'll take some wonky backwards thinking to Justify making B.S. a Ottoman territory (which I am ok with for the sake of fair gameplay.)

i think this might work well with zululand remaining the british landing point. since britain has so much why not just leave them with 2 landing points? and then since france has a lot maybe you could make s. madagascar a landing point to even out the connections in the south or something.
Lieutenant $nakeface

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby The Bison King on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Here's the latest suggested version -Zululand being a Landing territory. I also added a little Icon to represent landing regions.

I'm having some thoughts where I'm starting to think the Naval territories were actually better and more natural for the over all gameplay. So what I'm going to do is get this how I like it and hold a poll to resolve this once and for all. Any objections?

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I've thought about it and I vastly prefer the current landing points over the navies. While the landing points will invite comparsions to the New World map and the navies will invite comparisons to Eastern Hempishere, this map has much more in common with the latter map than the former.

If you have an idea for a third option that is neither Navy nor Landing Point, that would be the most welcome. But otherwise, I think the neutral choke-point gameplay scheme for maps has been done a lot lately and this map will offer nothing new along those lines if it is implemented that way.

Anyway, feel free to make any poll you like, but remember that here in this part of the Foundry we don't get the wide attention of players like it would in, say, Beta testing. So the results may not be terribly illuminating.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby The Bison King on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 am

Yes I believe that I too have come to the same conclusion. I think the landing territory system just makes more sense and gives players more options. The #1 advantage it has is a way of getting back to Europe if you are booted out of your homeland. Which I think will be integral. I don't think I will put up a poll for this one because my mind is pretty much made up. There's still a few things I want to change and add but the gameplay is getting pretty close to how I want it. I'll upload a new version soon, hopefully this weekend or before.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Re: Colonial Africa 1.7

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Yay a new upload!

Changes

-Mountains added to the west of the South Africa Bonus
-South African bonus dropped to +2(3)
-Zululand removed from South African bonus & re-instated as a landing territory

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I think one thing that is certainly on the agenda is bonus area nomenclature! I'm worried as to if the names will be able to fit on the mini map or elsewhere...

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think one thing that is certainly on the agenda is bonus area nomenclature! I'm worried as to if the names will be able to fit on the mini map or elsewhere...

-Sully

Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing that I was thinking though is... well I mean do they really need names? I mean as long as people know how much they're worth that's the only really important thing, right? I mean don't get me wrong I'd like to include them and I'm going to try and find a way, but if it can't be done is it really detrimental to the playability of the map?

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

The Bison King wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:I think one thing that is certainly on the agenda is bonus area nomenclature! I'm worried as to if the names will be able to fit on the mini map or elsewhere...

-Sully

Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing that I was thinking though is... well I mean do they really need names? I mean as long as people know how much they're worth that's the only really important thing, right? I mean don't get me wrong I'd like to include them and I'm going to try and find a way, but if it can't be done is it really detrimental to the playability of the map?

Well, think of looking through the game log and having no idea what the +3 bonus so-and-so received was for... And also, it just makes things neat and yay.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
The Bison King wrote:

-Sully

Well, think of looking through the game log and having no idea what the +3 bonus so-and-so received was for... And also, it just makes things neat and yay.

-Sully

Yeah... I guess you're right. It's gonna be tricky but it can be done.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Ok I've tried to fit in the Bonus names best I could on the mini map. Also I made all landing territories that are adjacent to bonuses of the same colony a darkened shade so that there should be no confusion.

(oh and I noticed I left off the little etchy edges. That's not cause I'm getting rid of that, it's an effect I add before exporting I just forgot this time)

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Re: Colonial Africa 1.8

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Not sure I'm a fan of them squished in the minimap, but they're bonus names, so I can't complain (until Graphics :P ). I assume those were names used around the time you're depicting?

Also, one thing you could try with the etched effect is use it on the inside of each bonus area. It would especially help make Leopoldville look separate from Belgian Congo without having to change its color.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Not sure I'm a fan of them squished in the minimap

How else would you suggest I show them?

Also, one thing you could try with the etched effect is use it on the inside of each bonus area. It would especially help make Leopoldville look separate from Belgian Congo without having to change its color.

It will have the etched effect.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Ok I think gameplay wise this is pretty much good to go. The only thing I could see that could use changing is that England has 2 landing tert's while the other nations only have 1. I don't think this is a real problem but if others felt that the imbalance was to large I could either drop Gold coast all together, or combine both of Madagascars tert's into one French landing tert. That way 2 nations would have 2. Or of course just leave it the same, which is my preference. I think having a little calculated imbalance is good. I think it's better that England be slightly more desirable. It'll cause tension and force players to act. What do you guys think?

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby pimpdave on Sat May 14, 2011 12:25 pm

When do we get to play this map?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Sat May 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, it depends whether the Tea Party Censorship Squad manages to sabotage the map's development or not.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby TaCktiX on Sat May 14, 2011 1:28 pm

The legend still has the "corresponding" and "assaulted" typoes.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby pimpdave on Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Even if those typos are corrected, I'll never ever be able to play this map with the knowledge that they once existed. KILL THIS MAP! NEVER LET IT SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 15, 2011 1:21 am

TaCktiX wrote:The legend still has the "corresponding" and "assaulted" typoes.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Typoes fixed.

pimpdave wrote:Even if those typos are corrected, I'll never ever be able to play this map with the knowledge that they once existed. KILL THIS MAP! NEVER LET IT SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!

meh, it'd be easier to erase your memory.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby Seamus76 on Tue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm

This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.
Major Seamus76
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 106
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (31) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (5)

Postby natty dread on Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Seamus76 wrote:This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.

Nobody can tell you when the map will be in play. However, if you want to speed it up, you can help by participating in the development, offering constructive criticism to the mapmaker, etc. While posts like yours stroke the mapmaker's ego, posts that offer legitimate feedback and/or criticism are a hundred times more valuable to him. Just saying...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.

Nobody can tell you when the map will be in play. However, if you want to speed it up, you can help by participating in the development, offering constructive criticism to the mapmaker, etc. While posts like yours stroke the mapmaker's ego, posts that offer legitimate feedback and/or criticism are a hundred times more valuable to him. Just saying...

Natty do you have any suggestions? I think the gameplay is pretty much where I want it. I've been waiting for some new suggestions but the lack there of is kind of telling me that it's time for a sticky. At the very least it'll draw more peoples attention and might pull out a few last minute changes before this goes in graphics.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas