Conquer Club

Baltic States [3/10] V33 P34 Beta!!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V19 P20

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Version 19:

What is new:
  • Poland has been moved and Impassables fixed
  • Army numbers and territories have been fixed
  • Other minor fixes

Lets talk bonus names?
Last edited by Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V19 P21 Bonus Names?

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Not to take you a step back, but I kind of see what Duk is saying about the names being over the borders. And trust me, I see you making a lot of progress so the last thing I want to do is set you back, but one thing you might be able to do which will also help with the small version is to redraw a few of those borders. I don't know how you do your borders, or how hard it would be/how much time it would take, but Ludza, Kraslava, Rezekne, and Jekabpils in particular could have one or two sides just slightly redraw to allow a better fit. It wouldn't be exact to the real world but might make your life easier down the road. Also, Liepaja and Balvi can be moved up and down respectively to fit better as well.

Great work going back the original colors, I think it looks much better.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Version 19:

What is new:
[list=][*]Poland has been moved and Impassables fixed
[*]Army numbers and territories have been fixed
[*]Other minor fixes[/list]

Lets talk bonus names?

west central latvia = zemigallia /zemgale
east latvia = lettigalia /letgale
southeast latvia
central latvia = riga
west latvia = courland

west estonia = old livonia / vireland
central estonia = estonia /estheland
southeast estonia = dorpat / tartu
island estonia = osel

west lithuania = samogitia
north lithuania = auks'tatia
south lithuania = really difficult that one... vilnius and kaunas are historical rivals and won't really be comfortable in the same region, and marjampole is the historical region of suvalkija. It's almost tempting to suggest that you redraw the border to put kaunas up into auks'tatia and let marjampole/suvalkija have its own little 1-tert bonus.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Seamus76 wrote:Not to take you a step back, but I kind of see what Duk is saying about the names being over the borders. And trust me, I see you making a lot of progress so the last thing I want to do is set you back, but one thing you might be able to do which will also help with the small version is to redraw a few of those borders. I don't know how you do your borders, or how hard it would be/how much time it would take, but Ludza, Kraslava, Rezekne, and Jekabpils in particular could have one or two sides just slightly redraw to allow a better fit. It wouldn't be exact to the real world but might make your life easier down the road. Also, Liepaja and Balvi can be moved up and down respectively to fit better as well.

Great work going back the original colors, I think it looks much better.

I can fix anything on this map easy.... Love layers. I will look into slight border moves so we can fix this issue. I will take a look at all the ones you mentioned and see what I can do.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Dukasaur wrote:west central latvia = zemigallia /zemgale
east latvia = lettigalia /letgale
southeast latvia
central latvia = riga
west latvia = courland

west estonia = old livonia / vireland
central estonia = estonia /estheland
southeast estonia = dorpat / tartu
island estonia = osel

west lithuania = samogitia
north lithuania = auks'tatia
south lithuania = really difficult that one... vilnius and kaunas are historical rivals and won't really be comfortable in the same region, and marjampole is the historical region of suvalkija. It's almost tempting to suggest that you redraw the border to put kaunas up into auks'tatia and let marjampole/suvalkija have its own little 1-tert bonus.

Thanks for all the bonus names! At your last issue, I wish to keep it in one spot or rather one bonus so with that said some form of name will need to be came up with.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Brueswar.
Nice and clear as to what is what. :)

1. you seem to have the longittude line over the top of the region legend...perhaps move some layers there so that lines are noit running through the middle of the legend.

2. the outside edge (thick black line) of the regions around the land in the south and east seems very jaggered in places compared to the smoothness of the sea edges...very visible compared to internal region borders.

Hope this helps. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:15 pm

cairnswk wrote:Hi Brueswar.
Nice and clear as to what is what. :)

1. you seem to have the longittude line over the top of the region legend...perhaps move some layers there so that lines are noit running through the middle of the legend.

2. the outside edge (thick black line) of the regions around the land in the south and east seems very jaggered in places compared to the smoothness of the sea edges...very visible compared to internal region borders.

Hope this helps. :)

Ahh I knew someone was gonna catch my mess of a line! I will see what I can do to fix it.

At your first point I can fix that easy. :) Thanks for stopping in.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 am

Why does North Lithuania get +3 with only 3 territories and all bordering outside, when all the other bonuses with 3 territories give only +2?
Same goes for Central Estonia with West-Latvia and West Estonia with South-east Estonia. To me these bonuses seem inconsistent. I'm probably overlooking something that has been discussed already, but is there a reason for this? These have all the same number of territories and the same number of borders, but different bonuses.

Also panevezys seems to have an 88 overlapping a neutral :P
But I love the map, looks great!
Lieutenant waauw

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:38 am

i see you picked up on my reference to the brown blob by labelling it Russia, Poland & Belarus. most of us don't know of the Baltic states but having Russia and Poland on the map really helps us to get a feel for where we are in the world, geographically.

i'm not a fan of the line down the centre of the index or through Southeast Estonia. what would it look like if the lines were on the map only and not through the legend.
Last edited by greenoaks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 am

greenoaks wrote:i see you picked up on my reference to the blown blob by labelling it Russia, Poland & Belarus. most of us don't know of the Baltic states but having Russia and Poland on the map really helps us to get a feel for where we are in the world, geographically.

i'm not a fan of the line down the centre of the index or through Southeast Estonia. what would it look like if the lines were on the map only and not through the legend.

That will be fixed in the next update. It likely will work out better.
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V20 P21 What is next?

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Version 20:

What is new:
  • Fixed Bonus Names
  • Fixed Borders on some places
  • Moved the Longitude lines under the Legend
  • Fixed the Border next to the dead area
  • Other minor fixes.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Are all the bonus names ok?

See any other fixes?

I want to start moving this towards the end of the graphics phase. What is left besides the small version.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 pm

waauw wrote:Why does North Lithuania get +3 with only 3 territories and all bordering outside, when all the other bonuses with 3 territories give only +2?
Same goes for Central Estonia with West-Latvia and West Estonia with South-east Estonia. To me these bonuses seem inconsistent. I'm probably overlooking something that has been discussed already, but is there a reason for this? These have all the same number of territories and the same number of borders, but different bonuses.

Also panevezys seems to have an 88 overlapping a neutral :P
But I love the map, looks great!

Sorry did not mean to ignore this..

North gets 3 because it connects to 10 spots vs the Southeast with 7 spots connected.

At your other point it is fair to say that, but we shall see how it plays out. If need be we can fix it in beta.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 am

on the right between the legend and the border is a small gap, but there isn't one on the bottom. if you moved the legend up a fraction, it might look better?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 am

greenoaks wrote:on the right between the legend and the border is a small gap, but there isn't one on the bottom. if you moved the legend up a fraction, it might look better?

Good eye... Let me fix that :)

Edited to say Fixed! Will post in the next version.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 am

the numbers in the legend don't line up.

the top field has the number much closer than the bottom one is. they seem to slowly move further from the left edge of the box as you go down.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 am

greenoaks wrote:the numbers in the legend don't line up.

the top field has the number much closer than the bottom one is. they seem to slowly move further from the left edge of the box as you go down.

Thanks! Also fixed. :) Good eye!
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Next Version should be out soon. I will have some other minor fixes plus a few big ones. Also I have a special guest helper. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Next Version should be out soon. I will have some other minor fixes plus a few big ones. Also I have a special guest helper. :)

looking forward to seeing it.

i also have an issue with the legend, map as a whole. you have placed Russia, Poland on there which allows me to visualise where on earth it is however your change of the legend sends things backwards.

What are the Baltic States?

the legend use to say North/South Estonia, etc. now there is no mention of the countries anywhere on the map that are the Baltic States. i'm not suggesting a return to South West Latvia or some other such thing in the legend. but those countries should have their name somewhere. maybe on the map, maybe somehow on the legend. i don't know how, just throwing that out there for your consideration.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Very good point. I will be sure to make sure people know what they are playing on. :) Update coming soon.
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V21 P22 What is next?

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 am

Version 21:

What is new:

• Fixed the border between the playable and not playable area
  • Fixed the Legend numbers and moved it also as suggested.
  • Moved the neutral 3 from Kardla to Kuressaare (To fix the issue of West Latvia and to make sure that the bonus comes into play still.)
  • Added the 3 country names to the title
  • Evened out the water stroke (Line around the land)
  • Totally cleaned up the map
  • Other minor fixes

Besides the small map what is left to do?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby lanyards on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 am

Bruceswar wrote:Besides the small map what is left to do?

Just focus on improving the map as much as you can :P

- Lat/long lines should go under all the black land and region borders. Also under all the text labels such as "Baltic Sea," and under the bird symbol. These don't actually seem necessary to me at all.

- Some of the region name labels are awkwardly positioned. I feel these and the troop locations could be arranged better still.

- All text will fit horizontally.

- Is there some reason there appears to be top/middle/bottom sections divided by similar colors? Like are these nation states? And also is that why some borders look thicker than others?

- Left edge of the map has more space between the line then the right edge.

- Move Sigs and Special Thanks inside the border. might look better

- The example river has a weird color which is not the same as what is found on the map
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby lanyards on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 am

Okay colors do appear to be representative of the 3 states. In that case maybe you could make the "Baltic States" title a more neutral color not used on the map and make the three countries names under the title the same colors used in the countries on the map. Make Estonia first and Lituania last.

Also it looks like the thicker borders separate the different states also. I think all borders should be the same smaller size (including the borders between land and water and between the playable regions and the dead space areas.

- The legend is pretty plain now, but other than that I think maybe you could just list em north to south
Last edited by lanyards on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:25 am

lanyards wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Besides the small map what is left to do?

Just focus on improving the map as much as you can :P

- Lat/long lines should go under all the black land and region borders. Also under all the text labels such as "Baltic Sea," and under the bird symbol. These don't actually seem necessary to me at all.

- Some of the region name labels are awkwardly positioned. I feel these and the troop locations could be arranged better still.

- All text will fit horizontally.

- Is there some reason there appears to be top/middle/bottom sections divided by similar colors? Like are these nation states? And also is that why some borders look thicker than others?

- Left edge of the map has more space between the line then the right edge.

- Move Sigs and Special Thanks inside the border. might look better

- The example river has a weird color which is not the same as what is found on the map

Point 1: I like the lines as they are. On a map they run over everything. I would like to keep them as such.

Point 2: Which regions and or numbers?

Point 3: I like the sea names and country names angled. They could be straight but that is just not cool for this map!

Point 4: Yes they are similar for a reason. Those are the 3 Baltic States which are listed in the map title.

Point 5: I fixed that just now. Good eye! All it took was one pixel to the left.

Point 6: I will test it out and see how it works out

Point 7:I will see what I can do to fix the river color. (Fixed Now)
Last edited by Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 am

lanyards wrote:Okay colors do appear to be representative of the 3 states. In that case maybe you could make the "Baltic States" title a more neutral color not used on the map and make the three countries names under the title the same colors used in the countries on the map. Make Estonia first and Lituania last.

Also it looks like the thicker borders separate the different states also. I think all borders should be the same smaller size (including the borders between land and water and between the playable regions and the dead space areas.

- The legend is pretty plain now, but other than that I think maybe you could just list em north to south

I can work on the legend and see what I can do.

At your title suggestions, I tried that already but blue on blue did not work!

And the border should be thinker and I will leave them that way. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas