Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Tviorr on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Very interesting map indeed.

Glad the monthlies turned my head towards it.

I like the extreme complexity and the very delicate balancing. - The way you can go after a good (auto) deploy but then have rather a lot of trouble bringing them into play and risk losing it all if you are attacked sneakily before you are ready. - And that it amounts to a number of almost random possibilities where you have to juggle security, availability of troops and a number of specially available routes through the map if you can manage to navigate cleverly and especially also manage not to get in your own way.

I think the balancing of deploy is an important factor and wouldnt change that. - I do get the same feeling of dropping a very limited amount compared to how much Ive clawed under my greasy fingernails, but upping the bonus values would deduct from the importance of the treasury and I feel that would be a shame.

Monthly challenge requires something I dont like about the map, but Im pressed to find one. Lets see, it wouldnt work so well with unlimited reinforcements as that would sort of work against one of the main balances in the map, but beyond that, this could well be one of my go to maps.

Very nicely done. =D>
PM me for an invite to Ikariam, a balanced strategy MMORPG centered on a city-based empire. Help and extra resources from me and an extra tradships and a small science bonus to both of us if you do :-)
Colonel Tviorr

Location: 3 clicks beyond madness. - or in Ikariam - eta server. Write me for an invite and startup help.
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (4)

Postby bergy1 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 am

Quality map - dropping 2 player to 4 ships works really well and allows great surprises in fog

Not tried multiplayer but will soon

I think I would lessen the numbers of neutrals at the top of the map - that would add a greater variety to gameplay imho
Sergeant 1st Class bergy1

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (6)

Re: Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Postby ckyrias on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 am

love the map and the game play. i think there is a slight advantage to the one starting on Penzance LB to take the beacons. there is a counterweight bonus with de Parma area but one needs to take more neutrals and will be able to utilise the bonus much later than the beacon bonus.

haven't played much but i am already an enthuiast!
ImageImage

Major ckyrias

Medals: 153
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (16)
Clan Achievement (49) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (15)

Re: Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Postby Donelladan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:58 am

I played the maps a couples of times.
Gameplay is OK. Not really my kind of map because it take too long to clean it with the huge amount of troops everyone gets but this is just personal taste. I don't think changes are necessary for the gameplay.

I am just wondering, is it supposed to be a battle naval? Because it doenst look like it at all. I don't understand why you made the map that way. What are the impassable blues lines?
Is it impassable water for our boats?

I am not so aware of the history of this battle. Was it that much covered with boats? Are we actually jumping from boat to another?
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Donelladan

Medals: 89
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (16)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 pm

cairns, are we done here? is the XML good?
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 202
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Gilligan wrote:cairns, are we done here? is the XML good?

As far as i know...yes. Thanks Gill.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Previous

Return to Beta Maps