Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [4.4.12] V13-P13 - GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Version 13.

1. Bridges replaced
2. some territories around Boroko enlarged to give some extra space down there
3. font size increased from 3.3 to 3.4 and most territory names have 75% interline spacing
4. Westim Ples and Gogodilla Viles increased in size.
5. N.N.=Napa Napa added to legend and adjustments map to the map
6. font colour reduced from pure black to 80% black - it takes that jaring and strong contrast look from the map.

I feel things are overall improving... :)

Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 pm

The black lines that outline the different borders, are the necessary? Can you get away without having them or tone them down a bit? They seem a bit forced. Also, can you move Poreporena over a little so the a isn't clashing with the blue. Sorry just little stuff. Map is nice. I'd hang it on my wall.
f*ck THE UNION LOUISIANA WILL RISE AGAIN
Major Nola_Lifer

Medals: 61
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (2)
General Contribution (1)

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

I'm more coherent now XD so the border here: Image doesn't need to be so bold right next to the river.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:The black lines that outline the different borders, are the necessary? Can you get away without having them or tone them down a bit? They seem a bit forced.

Hi Nola_Lifer,
I wouldn't want to do away with them because they help define the continents better, given that there was an issue with some other borders. I have toned them down from #000000 to #444444 in next version.

Also, can you move Poreporena over a little so the a isn't clashing with the blue. Sorry just little stuff. Map is nice. I'd hang it on my wall.

...move Poreporena over...yes.
Now that's a really nice wall comment :lol:

RedBaron0 wrote:I'm more coherent now XD so the border here: Image doesn't need to be so bold right next to the river.

Oh, what was it that lead to your being incoherent? Pleased to hear that you are recovered now though.
Actually, i quite like that border there, it also helps define Erima continent better, although you might see a difference when it is toned down.

Please refresh F5 the map above to see these changes.
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 am

This is the neutrals and starts maps that i hadn't posted to front page, but is now there.
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [16.4.12] V13-P13 - GFX?

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

That tone down look good.
Major Nola_Lifer

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (2)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [31.3.12] V12-P13 - GFX?

Postby iancanton on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:15 am

RedBaron0 wrote:he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" why is is there? It should be deleted.

it's better now that the bonus zone borders aren't pure black, except the border on kanudi gas ples is exactly the same as the shadow colour on the impassable mountain ridges.

cairnswk wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:Ugh in the morning I just forget words...
Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery.

For the Napa Napa Road...This of course is again a road name that is part fo the flavour of Port Moresby.
I would be reluctant again to change that, however, having nothing to do in my opinion with sanity sake, but perhaps more to be influenced by space consideration in the xml drop list, i would be prepared to adjust to the following:
In the top legend for inclusion...N.N. = Napa Napa
On the territory names for both map and xml, N.N. Rot Wan, N.N. Rot Tu. etc. and also N.N. Oil Refinery.

with the n.n. names, the map does lose a bit of character. although i prefer the napanapa to be written in full, i see why the refinery name needs to be abbreviated.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [31.3.12] V12-P13 - GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 pm

iancanton wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" why is is there? It should be deleted.

it's better now that the bonus zone borders aren't pure black, except the border on kanudi gas ples is exactly the same as the shadow colour on the impassable mountain ridges.

Ian the dark green on the mountains is #4A5118
the border line dark grey is #425542
sorry if they both look the same

cairnswk wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:Ugh in the morning I just forget words...
Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery.

For the Napa Napa Road...This of course is again a road name that is part fo the flavour of Port Moresby.
I would be reluctant again to change that, however, having nothing to do in my opinion with sanity sake, but perhaps more to be influenced by space consideration in the xml drop list, i would be prepared to adjust to the following:
In the top legend for inclusion...N.N. = Napa Napa
On the territory names for both map and xml, N.N. Rot Wan, N.N. Rot Tu. etc. and also N.N. Oil Refinery.

with the n.n. names, the map does lose a bit of character. although i prefer the napanapa to be written in full, i see why the refinery name needs to be abbreviated.

ian. :)

well the N.N. things does loose the flavour but then RBO doesn't want NapaNapa on 5 territory names...so my suggestions is to slug it out with him, because i would prefer to have NapaNapa in full on the names.
Private cairnswk

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:19 am

:roll: it's your choice, I thought I was helping more than anything getting the territory name length down to a manageable level, especially on the Oil Refinery.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:34 am

In the end, i don't think there is much of a problem here with putting the full names in as you can see from the small list below of already xml'ed maps where there are regions that have longer names that what is in this Pot Mosbi map.

so yes, i would like to return to the full names. That in turn will enable players to directly look for that name and not have to remember or check the legend each time to see what N.N. stands for. It will also free up that spoace in the legend again for better eye real estate.

B.T.F. Barrikady Tractor Factory Inf
D.T.F. Dzerzhinsky Tyre Factory Inf
R 13th Guards Rifle Div B Inf
Gorodische Fields East Arm

6 Train: Financial District Station
A/F Train: The Village Station

S) Santissima Trinidad Stern
(S) Principe de Asturias Stern
(B) Royal Sovereign Stern
(S) Principe de Asturias Stern

Soldatenschlafzimmer A

Napa Napa Rot Faiv
Napa Napa InterOil Refinery
Bigpela Gavman District
Danuagua Ailan
Murray Army Basis
Gabatu Mata Mata
Poreporeno Viles
Laptaun Biktaun

Also, as i've said before there is the cultural aspect that has to be considered.
I think to alter these altogether is like asking someone to rename the Ben Franklin Bridge from your Philadelphia map.
You see, i think in making these maps we owe it to culture to stick to the names given on map as much as possible, even if there is a small creative license involved. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm

What else needs attending to on this graphics wise?
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:32 am

I believe this is getting really close, so stickied for now! Can you please update the OP with the color blind check and version with 888's.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:39 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I believe this is getting really close, so stickied for now! Can you please update the OP with the color blind check and version with 888's.

isaish40
OP has latest version with CB checks.
Here is the 888s worked from a very basic xml.

Version 14 with changes made to Napa Napa Rot names

Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [29.4.12] V14-P13 - GFX?

Postby Jippd on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 am

Golf ples or plas is hard to read

nappa nappa whatever tree is covered by the numbers

enga tribe all kind of blurs together...maybe consider extending the 'pinkish background more behind the text there so it isn't trees. This could solve that issue

Looks good otherwise. it is a big map to take in just initial impression wise.
Brigadier Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:53 am

Jippd...fantastic feedback...thank you for dropping and giving your thoughts.
I will see what i can do to improve those aspects. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

In your legend All Parks looks blurry and the "s" on the Parks is sitting on your border. Only other thing B.S.G. could use a little darkening. Can't wait to play this one :!: :!:
Major Nola_Lifer

General Contribution (1)

Postby Jippd on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Slightly agree with the tree's looking blurry. I feel the palm trees are more 'crisp' looking then the other trees.

Bikpela Gavman Distrik - consider moving Distrik slightly to the left so the 'k' is not on the border

Consider the same things I said about Enga tribe overlaying on the trees with the other tribes as well ( jiwiki / jimbu / highland / the I and W in Iwan )

Can you sharpen the images of the characters next to each tribe too? So they stand out more/look slightly more detailed?

There is no line between lapun biktur and tuaguba....should there be?

Also I have a slight difficulty with continuity in the legend in the bottom that depicts region bonus'. Take Tokarara for an example. Similar? Yes...Exactly proportionate? No....Is there a way you can cut and paste the resize the territory without the names from the map to the legend? This way the exact region bonus shapes are the same as in the legend which will increase the ease of reading the legend.

I seem to not be able to understand what a utility is and what a parka is...I see they each have a bonus for holding all of them and that all utilities connect, but don't know what a utility or a parka is by looking at the map. Clue me in?
Brigadier Jippd

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:In your legend All Parks looks blurry and the "s" on the Parks is sitting on your border. Only other thing B.S.G. could use a little darkening. Can't wait to play this one :!: :!:

Parks...fixed.
B.S.G.... do youy mean lightening?

Jippd wrote:Slightly agree with the tree's looking blurry. I feel the palm trees are more 'crisp' looking then the other trees.

the map is done in Fireworks and imported to Coreldraw for text and legend.
Next Version. the image has adaptaive unsharpening applied

Bikpela Gavman Distrik - consider moving Distrik slightly to the left so the 'k' is not on the border

Done

Consider the same things I said about Enga tribe overlaying on the trees with the other tribes as well ( jiwiki / jimbu / highland / the I and W in Iwan )

the tribe images are being re-done..so this will be attended to.

Can you sharpen the images of the characters next to each tribe too? So they stand out more/look slightly more detailed?

i take it you mean text here..if so, done

There is no line between lapun biktur and tuaguba....should there be?

there is, but it is covered on what you see...next version fixed.

Also I have a slight difficulty with continuity in the legend in the bottom that depicts region bonus'. Take Tokarara for an example. Similar? Yes...Exactly proportionate? No....Is there a way you can cut and paste the resize the territory without the names from the map to the legend? This way the exact region bonus shapes are the same as in the legend which will increase the ease of reading the legend.

this method has already been applied, but because of space limitations in some parts of the legend some scaling is not always equal. I will try to improve this.

I seem to not be able to understand what a utility is and what a parka is...I see they each have a bonus for holding all of them and that all utilities connect, but don't know what a utility or a parka is by looking at the map. Clue me in?

Ah...do you have utilities in the US? You know - water, gas, electric, telephone...well appliy that principle here and you have the purple territories as utilities (unless you are CB)
Can you not see the parks are dark green?
Private cairnswk

Postby Jippd on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:24 pm

We do have utilities here. I understand it now. Looking at the description for utilities I was confused because they look white in the legend and more blue on the map itself.

I also feel the textures underlaid on jackson epo and the distrik make the utilities look less uniform which may add to confusion for people looking at the map and trying to figure out what is what.
Brigadier Jippd

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Jippd wrote:We do have utilities here. I understand it now. Looking at the description for utilities I was confused because they look white in the legend and more blue on the map itself.

I also feel the textures underlaid on jackson epo and the distrik make the utilities look less uniform which may add to confusion for people looking at the map and trying to figure out what is what.

I can see where Jippd is coming from, in regards to how utilities look on the map vs the legend, etc.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

^^^ Agreed, there is slight colour variation, but surely they all look purple...not blue?
Also, since they are completely seperated in the map, it is not possible to put them all together like the other continents.
Unfortunately, i cannot think of another way of displaying them graphically.
I will however, change the colour to make it more uniform.
i'm not in favour of removing the underlying textures from the airport or government district, particularly the later.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 am

You could do more of the cross-hatching / stitching you have on the map for the Parks, and apply something similar to the Utilities, and then in the legend show the cross-hatching.

Since they are semi-special regions in a semi-special bonus (not continuous, etc) it could make sense to have a little more differentiation.

Best,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Look'n good kiddo!

ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Ooh! :o
Wasn't expecting that yet...am still in the process of sorting out natives images, moving trees and some stuff that is mentioned above. --ee--
thanks anyways RBO, but didn't like the kiddo bit...i'm a bit older than that ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

me too... get that stuff all setup and you're fine.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas