Conquer Club

Krazy Kingdoms [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Krazy Kingdoms - Number & Color Blind Tests

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 pm

OK here are the number tests and color blind tests. I did numbers as x33 format, 88, and 888. I also saved out with 88's on small and large withought the unit circles on the map to see if they could be removed from territories.

I did the colorblind tests with the Vischeck filter in Photoshop and saved them out as Protanope, Dueteranope, and Tritanope.

I have them presented inside spoilers below so as to not slap you all in the face with 12+ images.

=D13=

Small Number Tests
show

Large Number Tests
show

Large and Small tests with no unit circles
show

Small Color Blind Tests
show

Large Color Blind Tests
show
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - Number & Color Blind Tests (6/2

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm

dolomite13. good post to show all those together.
now that i've seen the numbers on the maps, i myself would like to see an increase in the font size on territories in the small map.
some of those tert names are hard to read - J4 etc.
so an increase a couple of points to font size wouldn't go astray.
it would make the territories as easily idientifiable as the large map territories are. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 pm

cairnswk wrote:dolomite13. good post to show all those together.
now that i've seen the numbers on the maps, i myself would like to see an increase in the font size on territories in the small map.
some of those tert names are hard to read - J4 etc.
so an increase a couple of points to font size wouldn't go astray.
it would make the territories as easily idientifiable as the large map territories are. :)

I think this is a good idea. I've only been looking at the large versions for figuring out gameplay and how the map works so I missed that issue. I think a couple point increase like cairnswk suggested would help a lot. Without it those without the greatest eyesight like myself have to squint a fair bit, particularly on the higher resolution monitors I have here.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 am

I agree about the small map territory names.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm

OK I changed the image a bit to remove the unit circles from the map territories as I think they make the map look even more cluttered. I had to tweak the forbidden lands and seas so you could see the units and I cleared the terrain graphic behind the numbers. I also upped the font on the territory names on the small map from 7.5 to 9 and it looks much more readable.

=D13=

Small
https://imageshack.com/a/img15/3461/jng.png
Small 88's - https://imageshack.com/a/img853/7452/ewjs.png
Small 888's - https://imageshack.com/a/img819/2792/4x.png

Large
https://imageshack.com/a/img819/4421/ettp.png
Large 88's - https://imageshack.com/a/img607/8519/vp5.png
Large 888's - https://imageshack.com/a/img706/8417/98l6.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - Graphics Tweaks 7/3

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am

I like the changes that were made, especially the small map land labels, they look much better. I also agree the circles removed from the land area makes it look much cleaner. I don't know if the 888's have any real barring on where they'll end up with the XML, but if they do, the 888 for Underworld was up a bit too high I think and should be centered on the demon icon like the Bomb and Horde icons are.

Other than that, I hope the XML can be finished up soon and this can make it into Beta, because I really look forward to playing it. It'll make a nice map to keep my mind off of Research and Conquer for a while :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

There is some minor pixelation in spots, the special rings and a less noticeably around the shields and those rings as well.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:There is some minor pixelation in spots, the special rings and a less noticeably around the shields and those rings as well.

I see it... I will see what I can do about it.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Graphics Tweaks 7/16

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 pm

OK here is latest graphics.

I recreated the shield shape around each race/kingdom image as well as increased the size of the the circles a bit to better fit the unit numbers on the small map. I also cleaned up the jagged edges on the round circles on the right side.

=D13=

SMALL
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/623/c2w.png

LARGE
http://imageshack.com/a/img268/4770/rwxl.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Graphics Tweaks 7/3

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 am

Looks great, can't see anything that's amiss with the graphics. I'm really looking forward to the XML getting completed and this map getting to Beta. I think this is the map I've most anticipated in a long time. I can totally see this being one of the few maps that sticks around in regular play. It's relatively small in size, fairly easy to learn the basics, and seems like it will provide piles of different gameplay options with its unique gameplay :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Graphics Tweaks 7/16

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 pm

I see a small problem where the border seems to have moved up by a pixel. I will fix that this evening and update one more time. Although if we get that graphics stamp this fix won't stand in the way of starting on XML.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Gilligan, any idea how long the XML should take for this? It seems like it would probably be a pretty complicated XML file.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Gilligan, any idea how long the XML should take for this? It seems like it would probably be a pretty complicated XML file.

Probably a month ... not really sure... it is extremely complicated.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 pm

OK fixed that pixel issue this is latest images

=D13=

SMALL
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/6027/li9.png

LARGE
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/4804/ige1.png
Last edited by dolomite13 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Gilligan, any idea how long the XML should take for this? It seems like it would probably be a pretty complicated XML file.

Probably a month ... not really sure... it is extremely complicated.

=D13=

A month wouldn't be too bad. Better than the 3+ years that I've been waiting for Research and Conquer :) My premium will probably be gone by then, but I can at least still play the map in casual games.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Graphics Tweaks 7/19

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm

After a krazy amount to time to the final check, this is most deserved:

ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Congrats dolomite13 =D> =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 am

Congrats dolomite, onwards to XML once Gilligan returns from vacation, yay! :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am

=) Yea!

Soon my Fanatical Undead Wizard Murklords will be ready for battle.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Let the XML Begin!

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 pm

So it may not be possible to have aquatic function as it is currently designed based on XML and the game engine. If we cannot have both borders and bombards from territory A to territory B at the same time then I will have to redesign it a bit.

Solution will most likely be to take away the bombard of seas from bordering territories and make seas killer 3

And to change aquatic from.

==assault==> seas
seas +1 each
seas +4 if you have all 4 seas

to this

==assault==> seas
territories that borders seas are +1 for every 2 up to a max of +8

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm

dolomite13 wrote:So it may not be possible to have aquatic function as it is currently designed based on XML and the game engine. If we cannot have both borders and bombards from territory A to territory B at the same time then I will have to redesign it a bit.

Solution will most likely be to take away the bombard of seas from bordering territories and make seas killer 3

And to change aquatic from.

==assault==> seas
seas +1 each
seas +4 if you have all 4 seas

to this

==assault==> seas
territories that borders seas are +1 for every 2 up to a max of +8

=D13=

I think that's a better option than the few I was able to come up with, none of which really seemed right.

I also noticed an error in gameplay balance. I believe the J2/F4 and J4/F2 pairs need to have their territory names/types swapped. Everyone else has a territory every 3 away from the next, whereas Treefolk and Lizardmen both have 4 territories in between their first and second favored territory, which gives them a distinct disadvantage. Swapping those two pairs will make it so they've also got their favored territories 3 away from each other.

I'll leave it up to dolomite as to whether he thinks it's worth changing these this late in design, but if it doesn't cause too big of a headache, I think it would be worth balancing the gameplay out that little bit more.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Unfortunately that will result in broken "personal continents" and 1 less adjacent-to-favored territory for each. I would rather have them the way they are as I don;t see the same issue you do. And if their is a slight advantage here then it's really slight as the map is so small.

This image shows each player's "personal continent".

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Unfortunately that will result in broken "personal continents" and 1 less adjacent-to-favored territory for each. I would rather have them the way they are as I don;t see the same issue you do. And if their is a slight advantage here then it's really slight as the map is so small.

=D13=

The problem that you're missing is for Treefolk and Lizardman to have their second favored territory only 3 spots away, they have to be able to cross the chasm, which means they have to move forward one extra spot at the beginning to be able to take the chasm as their second territory, hence their second favored territory is 4 away unless they own the two sides of the chasm beside their start territory later in the game.

If you take another look at what I suggested, you'll find it doesn't disrupt the personal continents of the Treefolk or Lizardmen, all the territories are still 3 spots away from one another, so the various continent parts will all still connect. Or is there some other part of the continents that is concerning you other than their remaining connected?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:21 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Unfortunately that will result in broken "personal continents" and 1 less adjacent-to-favored territory for each. I would rather have them the way they are as I don;t see the same issue you do. And if their is a slight advantage here then it's really slight as the map is so small.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4143/pcchasms.png

=D13=

The problem that you're missing is for Treefolk and Lizardman to have their second favored territory only 3 spots away, they have to be able to cross the chasm, which means they have to move forward one extra spot at the beginning to be able to take the chasm as their second territory, hence their second favored territory is 4 away unless they own the two sides of the chasm beside their start territory later in the game.

If you take another look at what I suggested, you'll find it doesn't disrupt the personal continents of the Treefolk or Lizardmen, all the territories are still 3 spots away from one another, so the various continent parts will all still connect. Or is there some other part of the continents that is concerning you other than their remaining connected?

I see but here is what your proposed change does. It decreases the number of "adjacent to favored" territories for Lizardmen and Treefolk by 1 each from 13 to 12 and creates a territory that is doubled up on (S4 and M4). ;)

I have a different proposal ... swapping F3 and J3 would keep the 13, make a fully connected continent for each player and grant the same distance to the 2nd favored territory that you were suggesting should be there for balance. :D

It is a pain in the ass to make the change but it makes sense so I will need to make that update asap.

Thanks 8-)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas