Conquer Club

[Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/11] - Map & Gameplay Updated

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:If you do use an impassable, not sure if anything can be found as the normal ones would go against the theme of the map. Mountains with mountain people on do not work. Rivers and forests also for the same reason. But I will have a think on it as well.

IMPASSIBLES Well I think something revolving around the chaotic magic. Maybe a magical void zone of sorts that is impassible or huge seemingly bottomless chasms.

When I placed the terrain types I did so with the creation of the "personal continent" in mind. Each favored terrain and each bordering terrain make up that area. The impassibles would throw off the balance of the territories ... This could bee solved with conditional borders... if you control both sides of a "chasm" you would be considered to have the ability to bridge the gap and the two territories become adjacent for you.

VIKINGS & SEASI also think that Vikings need to change. They should probably get a less threatening name like "Fishermen", the islands could be removed and the Fishermen would instead only be adjacent to a sea from territories they already control. This would stop the sea like "sea 2" from making the trip from Tundra 1 to Mountain 4 still need to go around the sea and not need the added impassible. Fishermen would get +2 bonus for every two seas? with maybe a +2 synergy bonus if all 6 were held.

koontz1973 wrote:For the monsters, maybe something out of mythology would look good as you have a lot of old world elements here already.

Wow I totally agree, the more I play with the sketches I have for iconography the more the monsters need to change. I am considering changing them to "magic maelstroms" whose power is only accessible by wizards rather then monsters and sort of taking the "sequel" aspect out of the map and divorcing it from Monsters!. The current sketches I have done take the map in a different direction from Monsters art style.

I also noticed that the Dwellers "cavern" in swamp 2 should be swapped with the radiation symbol in forest 3 for the same reason we are adding the impassibles so I did that.

Now the map would look something like this...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7984 ... 9666_b.jpg

=D=
Last edited by dolomite13 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/14] - Discussion Continues

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 am

Just noticed something ... If we remove Sea 1 and Sea 4 and extend Forest 2 and Jungle 3 to the edge of the board then add chasms to separate the starting territories from them I can then move the creature type bonus items to the empty spaces on the map instead making every start territory border an empty territory. This would make sure no one could grab a bonus for the first few turns.

You would start with 1 favored territory (+1) if and say we keep the 3 troop minimum so that would be 4 troops to deploy on your first turn. If you conquered one territory on your first turn you would have have an additional +1. If that territory had a type symbol it could be +2 if you were "Miners" or "Undead".

Elementalists needed to be changed as well so that ever 2 volcanic or every 2 tundra grant the bonus rather than +2 for every combination of 1 Volcanic and 1 Tundra because of the placement of Tundra 1 and Volcanic 4.

Lets consider this map

Click image to enlarge.

=D=
Last edited by dolomite13 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 am

For ease of creating a key that explains favored territories for people who don;t read english I am considering changing Dwarves to Gnomes that would give each territory type and each race a unique starting letter. So icons could be arranged in a key like this.

Gnomes
[G] + [M] = +1
[G] + [M][M][M][M] = +4

Ironically "Horde" "The Bomb" and "Underworld" also work out like that

=A=> Assaults
=B=> Bombards

[B] =B=> All Map Territories
[U] =A=> [Demonic Symbol]

For bottomless chasms the key would read something like

<=x=> not adjacent
<=a=> adjacent

[Land A - Player A] <=x=> [Land B - Player B]
[Land A - Player A] <=a=> [Land B - Player A]

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 am

dolomite, I know it is slow in the foundry at the moment and I really want to get this moved on. Keep working on your Game play aspects as you seem to of solved most issues that I can see and the GP mods will get you the rest of the way. But right now, I need you to think more of the graphics. Can I ask you to start working on these issues...
Icons, none of them seem to match and if you add more, best to get these in one style now and save work later.
Texture, what if any are you going to use on the map.
Impassable, I liked the idea of magic coming in here but the blobs do not do that justice.
Colour scheme, please please tone it down.
Get these some what solved and I will pass this along.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:15 pm

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, I know it is slow in the foundry at the moment and I really want to get this moved on. Keep working on your Game play aspects as you seem to of solved most issues that I can see and the GP mods will get you the rest of the way. But right now, I need you to think more of the graphics. Can I ask you to start working on these issues...

Yep. I have some free time this evening and plan to start on the map and icon work. What we have thus far is merely a rough draft that I could easily hack into shape and I used the bright colors so it was easy to see where everything is. Now the real work can begin. I have a board game night tonight and will be busy for about 2 hours but the evening till about 10 is mostly free so I will see what I can get done and post something asap. Even if I just post a scan of the sketches I have done thus far so you can see where I am going with all of this.

koontz1973 wrote:Icons, none of them seem to match and if you add more, best to get these in one style now and save work later.

I agree. I am currently have a sketch book with a ton of icons all in the same style. I need to scan the page then start photoshopping them.

koontz1973 wrote:Texture, what if any are you going to use on the map.

I have been looking at a lot of cartography sites and board games looking for inspiration and think that I have some sketches that will work for this and help with the color brightness.

koontz1973 wrote:Impassable, I liked the idea of magic coming in here but the blobs do not do that justice.

Yea I think a bottomless chasm with a magic mist at the bottom will be a good way to go. Again I think that as I now work on the map it should start to take shape.

koontz1973 wrote:Colour scheme, please please tone it down.

Absolutely

:D

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/17] - Map Key Discussion

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

I did a lot of map work last evening but I can't post it yet, it would just look like a jumbled mess at this point but it is moving along and should have new graphics and icons by the weekend. At least thats how the progress is looking.

Now I just need to get an evening away from the wife on a week night ... hmmm...

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

If you tell her in the morning you are going out with the guys drinking and to a strip club after work, she will be more than happy when you get home and tell her guys and strip club is a Euphemism for conquer club and maps.

The good thing about this is when you really want to go, tell her a friend is helping you out at the strip club and she will be more than happy to let you go.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Hehe ... I need to be careful about that strip club idea... she know that a strip clup just opened across from where I work.
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 am

Jungle 3 and Forest 2 will not be adjacent to start zones on opposite sides of chasm's ... the next map (with toned down colors) will reflect that.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 am

Stop posting the updates and start posting the updates if you know what I mean. If not then give us a map, not words and your actions will be rewarded in the fullness of time.

Hows the new strip club? :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I just like making you look at the rainbow map

=D=

... what strip club? ... ;)
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

OK I got the sketch of the main map done and scanned and cleaned up.. I toned down the colors and completely took the artistic direction in another direction. I think this is feeling much more like they way I envisioned this map. I took off the icons in the version as I am still working on them as well as some small texture effects for each terrain type.

This is PHASE 1 ... I will add the icons back to the map and I have some textures for each terrain type to add in PHASE 2

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/19] - New Map Graphics (phase 1)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

=D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D>

Bloody glorious. Not got time to go over it now as kids have to go to school but will look later. But the bottom of the map is blank. What is going there?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am

koontz1973 wrote:=D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D>

Bloody glorious. Not got time to go over it now as kids have to go to school but will look later. But the bottom of the map is blank. What is going there?

I have to get the icons back on the map and then that blank space at the bottom is to be filled in with more descriptive text detailing the connections over chasms, maybe info about "favored" territories etc... not sure yet but I wanted to make sure I had enough space to add lots of descriptive iconography or text if needed at this is a rather odd map ;)

I will have another better draft late tomorrow... I just need to get to bed now.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Best I can do for today... may or may not have time this weekend to work on it more.

I changed how Wizards work a bit. Its similar to barbarians but not the same.

I think that this is going in the right direction.

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/21] - New Map Graphics (phase 2)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 am

dolomite, I think you are ready for a sticky now. Will see if anyone has any objections. If not, will stamp this on Monday for you.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 am

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, I think you are ready for a sticky now. Will see if anyone has any objections. If not, will stamp this on Monday for you.

=)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am

Wow, this looks about 500% better than it did before. Very well done.

Regarding the new wizard setup, can the Maelstrom attack anything? It doesn't say that it can or cannot that I see, yet it says that it auto-deploys 2 each round. What's the auto for if it doesn't attack anything? Does it work like the Demons/Underworld, with the Maelstrom itself bordering and being able to attack each of your favored territories? If so, that's not really all that clear with how you it worded there.

Also, it's a little confusing having S1, etc. used twice, once for the swamps and once for the seas. Not quite sure how best to change it, but it probably does need changing just for gameplay clarity purposes.

Other than those two things, I can't see anything else to comment on, other than to say that this looks amazing. Very nice work here dolomite.
Major tkr4lf

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 am

Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them.

Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.
Major tkr4lf

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am

tkr4lf wrote:Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them. Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.

Yep that needs a bit of revision to make it clearer. OOps on the seas/swamps I need to make the seas Sea 1, Sea 2 etc and leave the swamps S1 S2 etc... or come up with a new name for swamps or seas. Maybe Lakes or Oceans... hmmm...

Thanx for catching that.

=)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 am

dolomite13 wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them. Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.

Yep that needs a bit of revision to make it clearer. OOps on the seas/swamps I need to make the seas Sea 1, Sea 2 etc and leave the swamps S1 S2 etc... or come up with a new name for swamps or seas. Maybe Lakes or Oceans... hmmm...

Thanx for catching that.

=)

=D=

No problem.

Could also change swamps to marshes, sort of the same thing, but then you would have 2 M's, what with already having Mountains. I guess Seas would be better to be changed, possibly lakes would work well. Oceans sounds weird with them not looking like oceans, not big enough anyway. I would think just making them say Sea 1, etc. would be enough. Sea sounds about the best out of the 3 options...Lake works as well, but Sea seems better for what they appear to be.
Major tkr4lf

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 am

I played around with the background and started working on using icons instead of text for parts of the key. I was able to do 6 of the 11 specials in the right column. Much more work is needed but I think this is moving towards less text and that is a good thing.

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/23] - Map Key Updates

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 am

I think you have waited long enough. From a multi coloured start to this is a big leap. Lets hope this continues in the same vain and good luck with the blue boys.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/23] - Map Key Updates

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

koontz1973 wrote:I think you have waited long enough. From a multi coloured start to this is a big leap. Lets hope this continues in the same vain and good luck with the blue boys. - koontz.

Woo Hoo ... I'm back in the main foundry ... hello again folks ;)

I am currently in the middle of changing out text for graphics ...

Fanatics needs a slight revamp so as not to reward you for your starting territory.

[F] = Favored Territory

So instead of

• Each [F] = +2

Lets consider

• 2 x [F] = +2
  • 3 x [F] = +5
  • 4 x [F] = +8

Thanx

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D] - Draft Stamp Recieved - (9/24)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm starting to get a better sense of this concept now. Hopefully I'll be able to devote some time to give it a proper look over, but until then I like the direction it is going so far.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps