Conquer Club

[Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - GR/GP Updated (6/19)

Postby EricPhail on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Looks pretty good, at the moment.
I'd suggest unless there is anything else obviously broken it might be wise to leave any further balance work 'till it's in beta

Graphics: S1 needs a more consistent underside with the rest of the map maybe P1 also.
In the legend if space can be found for the eg.:
eg. 4x[f]+[af]=9
would be better than it is now (minor quibble but...)
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm

At the risk of asking a stupid noob question... is there some reason territories adjacent to your favored territories are worth as much of a bonus as your favored territory? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them be worth something like 2x[af]=1*?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:26 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:At the risk of asking a stupid noob question... is there some reason territories adjacent to your favored territories are worth as much of a bonus as your favored territory? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them be worth something like 2x[af]=1*?

Its part of my "personal continent" concept. I figured it was easier to make favored and adjacent worth 1 each and then give a bonus when you held all 4 favored rather than to have

[f]=+1 each
4x[f]=+4
2x[af]=+1 each
3x[xaf]=+1 each

Lets look at how that would change the bonuses

Current

No Standard Territory Bonus (minimum 3)
Kingdoms autodeploy 3
+1 for each favored territory. (+4 bonus)
+4 bonus if you control all four of your favored territories. (+4 bonus)
+1 for each land territory that is adjacent to a favored territory. Territories you control on the opposite sides of a chasm are adjacent. (+13 bonus)
+1 for every 3 land territories that not adjacent to a favored territory. (15 territories = +5 bonus)

Maximum 26 bonus and 3 autodeploy

With that change

+1 for every 2 land territory that is adjacent to a favored territory. Territories you control on the opposite sides of a chasm are adjacent. (+6 bonus)

Maximum 19 bonus and 3 autodeploy

Hmmm...
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 pm

The more I think about it the more I like Tanarri's suggestion... It's still faster than the traditional 1/3 mechanic and puts order of importance to [f] then [af] then [xaf] as it should be.

[f]+1*
4x[f]+4
2x[af]+1*
3x[xaf]+1*

With the max bonus from special features being 8 in a 8 player game and up to 24 in a 2 player game (undead miner wizards) it makes sense to structure it that way.

I will make one more update to everything hopefully tonight or tomorrow then I will be out of town for a week.

=D13=

p.s. I think there are 6,652,800 possible Kingdom/Special combos in an 8 player game.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Dolomite....forgive if this has been mentioned...but i cannot find any "Stop" (red circle with line through it) indicators on the map. yet from the legend they seem to be part of gameplay as they have bonuses.
Forgive if i am simply not seeing them or not reading something i should. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

cairnswk wrote:Dolomite....forgive if this has been mentioned...but i cannot find any "Stop" (red circle with line through it) indicators on the map. yet from the legend they seem to be part of gameplay as they have bonuses.
Forgive if i am simply not seeing them or not reading something i should. ;)

The gold star, black star, and red (/) don't appear on the map. They are indicators for the bonus structure and explained in the key. They are different for every Kingdom based on the favored territories for that kingdom.

Gold star is your favored territory as displayed by your kingdom... if you are Dragonkin your favored are "V" volcanic.
Black star is any basic land territory that borders one of your favored territories.
Red circle is any territory that isn't one of the first two.

In this example for Treefolk
The gold star is dark green
The black star is the light green
Red circle is the remaining grey land territories

The places they are referenced are under "Bonus" and in special features for "Barbarians" and "Fanatics"

Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 am

Here are the latest maps with the adjacent to favored bonus change

=D13=

SMALL
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/708/gtk.png

LARGE
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/69/cpo.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - GR/GP Updated (6/21)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:34 pm

I think the new bonuses definitely make more sense and provide enough of a bonus to keep the game going well. I think the graphics are doing nicely as well. I'm really looking forward to playing this map, I really like the concept of having a different strategy with each game you play :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:46 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:I think the new bonuses definitely make more sense and provide enough of a bonus to keep the game going well. I think the graphics are doing nicely as well. I'm really looking forward to playing this map, I really like the concept of having a different strategy with each game you play :)

Thanx I hope the XML can handle it ;)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:04 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:I think the new bonuses definitely make more sense and provide enough of a bonus to keep the game going well. I think the graphics are doing nicely as well. I'm really looking forward to playing this map, I really like the concept of having a different strategy with each game you play :)

Thanx I hope the XML can handle it ;)

=D13=

I don't think there should be any problems, from what little I know of the XML coding. The adjacent and no adjacent bonuses should just be standard bonuses tied to owning a specific race in such a way that there's a separate collections list for each race vs. favored/adjacent/non-adjacent. The special abilities should be pretty straight forward as well for most and follow the same kind of coding as the races for the others. There'll be some conditional borders in there as well for the chasms and some race abilities.

There was a question I had regarding the Forbidden Lands. The wording in the instructions is such that it's not clear to me whether it can attack the special abilities and/or the race spots. The feel of the gameplay leads me to believe the answer is that it doesn't, since that would completely eliminate a player's bonus structure and just doesn't feel like it goes with the gameplay of the game very well. The fact that it's labelled as bombarding all "Locations" instead of "Land and Sea" as the bomb is, leads me to believe that it may be possible to bombard the race and/or special abilities from the Forbidden Lands.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Nevermind, just noticed that was a stupid question and a RTFM moment :)

Just out of curiousity, what's the gameplay reasoning for allowing players to bombard the races and special abilities?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Nevermind, just noticed that was a stupid question and a RTFM moment :)

Just out of curiousity, what's the gameplay reasoning for allowing players to bombard the races and special abilities?

Yes the magics of the Forbidden Lands can alter your race or take away your special abilities...

The answer sort of comes from these entries ...

Forbidden Lands

This mystical land contains magical relics of great power capable of wiping creatures from existence. But the denizens of this land are even more fierce, destroying any intruders before they can gain a foothold. Those who enter the Forbidden lands never return.

History of Vesania

Many years ago a powerful wizard discovered a spell that would take him to a magical land hidden from the eyes of the rest of the world. In this land he built a grand tower where he studied magic and created wonderful and powerful magical treasures.

One day an experiment went awry and the explosion of magical energy tore apart the very fabric of reality unleashing unspeakable horrors upon the land. Now Vesania bristles with a chaotic energy that warps the land, vast jungles grows next to barren deserts and the lava flows of great volcano's open upon frozen tundra. At the heart of it all lies a darkness known as the forbidden lands where his tower still stands.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:41 am

dolomite13 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Nevermind, just noticed that was a stupid question and a RTFM moment :)

Yes the magics of the Forbidden Lands can alter your race or take away your special abilities...

The answer sort of comes from these entries ...

Forbidden Lands

This mystical land contains magical relics of great power capable of wiping creatures from existence. But the denizens of this land are even more fierce, destroying any intruders before they can gain a foothold. Those who enter the Forbidden lands never return.

History of Vesania

Many years ago a powerful wizard discovered a spell that would take him to a magical land hidden from the eyes of the rest of the world. In this land he built a grand tower where he studied magic and created wonderful and powerful magical treasures.

One day an experiment went awry and the explosion of magical energy tore apart the very fabric of reality unleashing unspeakable horrors upon the land. Now Vesania bristles with a chaotic energy that warps the land, vast jungles grows next to barren deserts and the lava flows of great volcano's open upon frozen tundra. At the heart of it all lies a darkness known as the forbidden lands where his tower still stands.

=D13=

Okay, sounds good. I'm coming in a little late so I'm still getting used to the gameplay aspects and the back story behind the map. Thanks for the explanation :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am

Color blind test and colored number tests please.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:29 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Color blind test and colored number tests please.
Will do that asap when i get back from my wine tasting vacation in Napa =)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Krazy Kingdoms - Number & Color Blind Tests

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 pm

OK here are the number tests and color blind tests. I did numbers as x33 format, 88, and 888. I also saved out with 88's on small and large withought the unit circles on the map to see if they could be removed from territories.

I did the colorblind tests with the Vischeck filter in Photoshop and saved them out as Protanope, Dueteranope, and Tritanope.

I have them presented inside spoilers below so as to not slap you all in the face with 12+ images.

=D13=

Small Number Tests
show

Large Number Tests
show

Large and Small tests with no unit circles
show

Small Color Blind Tests
show

Large Color Blind Tests
show
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - Number & Color Blind Tests (6/2

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm

dolomite13. good post to show all those together.
now that i've seen the numbers on the maps, i myself would like to see an increase in the font size on territories in the small map.
some of those tert names are hard to read - J4 etc.
so an increase a couple of points to font size wouldn't go astray.
it would make the territories as easily idientifiable as the large map territories are. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 pm

cairnswk wrote:dolomite13. good post to show all those together.
now that i've seen the numbers on the maps, i myself would like to see an increase in the font size on territories in the small map.
some of those tert names are hard to read - J4 etc.
so an increase a couple of points to font size wouldn't go astray.
it would make the territories as easily idientifiable as the large map territories are. :)

I think this is a good idea. I've only been looking at the large versions for figuring out gameplay and how the map works so I missed that issue. I think a couple point increase like cairnswk suggested would help a lot. Without it those without the greatest eyesight like myself have to squint a fair bit, particularly on the higher resolution monitors I have here.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 am

I agree about the small map territory names.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm

OK I changed the image a bit to remove the unit circles from the map territories as I think they make the map look even more cluttered. I had to tweak the forbidden lands and seas so you could see the units and I cleared the terrain graphic behind the numbers. I also upped the font on the territory names on the small map from 7.5 to 9 and it looks much more readable.

=D13=

Small
https://imageshack.com/a/img15/3461/jng.png
Small 88's - https://imageshack.com/a/img853/7452/ewjs.png
Small 888's - https://imageshack.com/a/img819/2792/4x.png

Large
https://imageshack.com/a/img819/4421/ettp.png
Large 88's - https://imageshack.com/a/img607/8519/vp5.png
Large 888's - https://imageshack.com/a/img706/8417/98l6.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D, GP] - Graphics Tweaks 7/3

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am

I like the changes that were made, especially the small map land labels, they look much better. I also agree the circles removed from the land area makes it look much cleaner. I don't know if the 888's have any real barring on where they'll end up with the XML, but if they do, the 888 for Underworld was up a bit too high I think and should be centered on the demon icon like the Bomb and Horde icons are.

Other than that, I hope the XML can be finished up soon and this can make it into Beta, because I really look forward to playing it. It'll make a nice map to keep my mind off of Research and Conquer for a while :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

There is some minor pixelation in spots, the special rings and a less noticeably around the shields and those rings as well.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:There is some minor pixelation in spots, the special rings and a less noticeably around the shields and those rings as well.

I see it... I will see what I can do about it.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms - Graphics Tweaks 7/16

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 pm

OK here is latest graphics.

I recreated the shield shape around each race/kingdom image as well as increased the size of the the circles a bit to better fit the unit numbers on the small map. I also cleaned up the jagged edges on the round circles on the right side.

=D13=

SMALL
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/623/c2w.png

LARGE
http://imageshack.com/a/img268/4770/rwxl.png
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps