Arms Race! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re:

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Well here is an interesting thing. I play test this map last night, 1v1 no cards unlimited and the bonuses were too high.

Here were the suggestions that came out of the play test:
1) Instead of +1 for any uranium => +1 for any 2 uranium and +2 for all uranium (in same country)
2) Instead of +1 for any scientist => +1 for any 2 scientist and +2 for all scientist(in same country)
3) Instead of Launch code +2 => Launch code +1
4) Instead of President/Premiere +2 => President/Premiere +1

The reasons behind this are as follows
If a player starts off next to a uranium or scientist, they can quickly attack and next turn gain an easy deployable bonuses.
This lowers the overall bonus for holding an entire country by +4 which makes the game last longer and gives the other players more time to react since the front player has less power each turn.

EDIT#1: for some reason the BBC code is not working and I cannot turn it on for this post or thread. It is turned on in my other threads and posts though ?????

EDIT #2: I figured it out, the FF maps are now announcements and those do not have BBC code for some reason.


sounds good to me, although there are only 3 unraniums per side, so its hard to have +1 for 2 since there isn't a second pair.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Re:

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 am

mibi wrote:sounds good to me, although there are only 3 unraniums per side, so its hard to have +1 for 2 since there isn't a second pair.
Why? There does not need to be a second pair. I wrote that the bonuses are as follows

+1 for any 2 uranium (in same country)
+2 for all uranium (in same country)

and

+1 for any two scientists (in same country)
+2 for all scitenistis (in same country)

WM
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re:

Postby mibi on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am

WidowMakers wrote:Well here is an interesting thing. I play test this map last night, 1v1 no cards unlimited and the bonuses were too high.

Here were the suggestions that came out of the play test:
1) Instead of +1 for any uranium => +1 for any 2 uranium and +2 for all uranium (in same country)
2) Instead of +1 for any scientist => +1 for any 2 scientist and +2 for all scientist(in same country)
3) Instead of Launch code +2 => Launch code +1
4) Instead of President/Premiere +2 => President/Premiere +1

The reasons behind this are as follows
If a player starts off next to a uranium or scientist, they can quickly attack and next turn gain an easy deployable bonuses.
This lowers the overall bonus for holding an entire country by +4 which makes the game last longer and gives the other players more time to react since the front player has less power each turn.

EDIT#1: for some reason the BBC code is not working and I cannot turn it on for this post or thread. It is turned on in my other threads and posts though ?????

EDIT #2: I figured it out, the FF maps are now announcements and those do not have BBC code for some reason.


After thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure. This map is designed to be 1v1, but really only in the end game. What about where there are 6+ players, would the 2 for 1 bonuses be too hard to obtain? You could also add another uranium to even it out.

Also concerning the routes, Uranium 2 needs to connect to Chicago, because currently Denver is too powerful.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 14 - Page 1 & 26[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:02 pm

OK mibi. I will leave everything the same as it currently is and change the uranium from Denver to Chicago.
Then we should be set. We are almost there.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 14 - Page 1 & 26[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby Tieryn on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 am

This is looking fantastic :) I can't wait to play
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:30 am
Location: Generation One
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:45 am

Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re:

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here is version 15

OK mibi:
-Uranium 2 in USA no longer borders Denver but Chicago.
-Kept the bonuses the same
-Move the Uranium 2 icon on small map up 10px and right 5 px
-Updated XML

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... %21_15.xml

Large: http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2428 ... 15lmg3.png
Small: http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2161 ... 15sgp7.png

Large 88: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6346 ... 88lkp2.png
Large 888: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6595 ... 88lzo1.png

Small 88: http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5641 ... 88sdo0.png
Small 888: http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8143 ... 88sjc4.png


Thanks WM, I think we will just have to see how it plays out. It's hard to make a small map balanced across a spectrum of 2-8 players, but I think this works for the most part. If it turns out there are some weak spots after a few hundred games are played then we can revisit it. This looks ace to me.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby Splash_x on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 pm

This is an interesting map :P
Sergeant Splash_x
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:04 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby SkyCaptain on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:33 am

Map looks really cool, WM. One minor thing, and I don't know if you could do anything to fix this, but because the territory route lines and the border of the US is the same, it kinda looks like President connects to New York, especially in the small version where the line is n early straight.
User avatar
Captain SkyCaptain
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: The World of Tomorrow
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 am

SkyCaptain wrote:Map looks really cool, WM. One minor thing, and I don't know if you could do anything to fix this, but because the territory route lines and the border of the US is the same, it kinda looks like President connects to New York, especially in the small version where the line is n early straight.
I will move the president in the small map and try ti brighten up the connection lines.

Is there anything else that needs to be done. The XML needs to be checked again but I believe it is OK. I fixed all of the issues listed last time (by lanyards) and only have made coordinate changes. All of the final images and XML are listed several posts above by myself and mibi as well.

Thanks
WM
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby SkyCaptain on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 am

WidowMakers wrote:
SkyCaptain wrote:Map looks really cool, WM. One minor thing, and I don't know if you could do anything to fix this, but because the territory route lines and the border of the US is the same, it kinda looks like President connects to New York, especially in the small version where the line is n early straight.
I will move the president in the small map and try ti brighten up the connection lines.

Is there anything else that needs to be done. The XML needs to be checked again but I believe it is OK. I fixed all of the issues listed last time (by lanyards) and only have made coordinate changes. All of the final images and XML are listed several posts above by myself and mibi as well.

Thanks
WM


Thanks, WM. Other than that, it looks finished. Can't wait to play it.
User avatar
Captain SkyCaptain
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: The World of Tomorrow
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby Incandenza on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:52 am

Ye gods, I can't wait to play some 1v1s on this.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 pm

why did u get rid of the -225 decay from missile launch? now someone can build up there armies and destroy america!

*hides under table*
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Arms Race! - V. 15 - Page 1 & 19[I,GP,Gr] [Final Forge]

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:31 pm

bryguy wrote:why did u get rid of the -225 decay from missile launch? now someone can build up there armies and destroy america!

*hides under table*
we got rid of the decay and replaced it with respawning neutrals. Now every turn a player needs to kill the 15 neutrals. Plus the bonus for holding the Prez/Launch code and entire missile is now 75**.
[**EDIT: this number should have been written as 50 NOT 75.
The previous sentence should be: Plus the bonus for holding the Prez/Launch code and entire missile is now 50.


Sorry about the lack of work/updates everyone. When your basement floods it takes a while to get back to normal. I will try to get the small map Washington<>President connection issue fixed along with the XML tonight.

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re:

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:39 am

OK here is version 15 Large version 16 Small. Everything should be finished now

OK
-Moved President in small map to help better show attack path
-Updated XML

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... %21_16.xml

Large: http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2428 ... 15lmg3.png
Small: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7649 ... 16sce1.png

Large 88: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6346 ... 88lkp2.png
Large 888: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6595 ... 88lzo1.png

Small 88: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2015 ... 88sda7.png
Small 888: http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3917 ... 88sdm6.png

Click image to enlarge.
image

Click image to enlarge.
image
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login