Conquer Club

XML - Using Conditional Borders

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

XML - Using Conditional Borders

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 pm

So I have a concept for a map that would heavily rely on conditional borders. This will allow me to simulate rolling the dice in other board games that are more roll-and-move oriented or more worker placement style game. Imagine each turn needing to decide where you want to conquer and then selecting a number that would let you conquer that territory at that distance. Alternately you could conquer a number just to keep it out of your opponents hands if you had a finite pool of numbers. I could see this being great fun and very strategically important in freestyle games.

Please let me know if this seems doable with the current xml.

* I would like to have a group of territories that represent the numbers 1 through 6.
* These territories would be coded as killer 1.
* When you do not have any of them you would be able to assault them from any of your territories.
* When you have conquered one of them you would no longer be able to assault any of them.
* when you have conquered one of them the distance you could assault from each of your territories would change to match the number you conquered.
* if you don't conquer a number you can't assault any territories

I assume I would need a continent called something like "no numbers" and code the conditions something like this.

Thoughts?

=D13=

Territories
Code: Select all
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
[alpha][beta][delta][gamma][epsilon][omega][theta]

Code

Code: Select all
<continent>
   <name>no numbers</name>
   <components>
      <territory>number 1</territory>
      <territory>number 2</territory>
      <territory>number 3</territory>
      <territory>number 4</territory>
      <territory>number 5</territory>
      <territory>number 6</territory>
   </components>
   <required>0</required>
</continent>

<territory>
   <name>number 1</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>number 2</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>number 3</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>number 4</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>number 5</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>number 6</name>
</territory>

<territory>
   <name>generic territory alpha</name>
   <borders>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 1</border>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 2</border>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 3</border>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 4</border>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 5</border>
      <border condition="no numbers">number 6</border>
      <border condition="number 1">generic territory beta - distance 1</border>
      <border condition="number 2">generic territory delta - distance 2</border>
      <border condition="number 3">generic territory gamma - distance 3</border>
      <border condition="number 4">generic territory epsilon - distance 4</border>
      <border condition="number 5">generic territory omega - distance 5</border>
      <border condition="number 6">generic territory theta - distance 6</border>
    </borders>
</territory>

Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: XML - Using Conditional Borders

Postby Oneyed on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 am

dolomite13 wrote:I could see this being great fun and very strategically important in freestyle games.

I can not see this rich in strategy.
dolomite13 wrote:* I would like to have a group of territories that represent the numbers 1 through 6.

you mean names of these regions would be "1", "2" and so on?
dolomite13 wrote:* These territories would be coded as killer 1.

this is possible. you mean -1 each round, yes?
dolomite13 wrote:* When you do not have any of them you would be able to assault them from any of your territories.

possible
dolomite13 wrote:* When you have conquered one of them you would no longer be able to assault any of them.

possible
dolomite13 wrote:* when you have conquered one of them the distance you could assault from each of your territories would change to match the number you conquered.

I think this could be possible. if map will has much regions a little much coding...
dolomite13 wrote:So
* if you don't conquer a number you can't assault any territories

possible

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Oneyed wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:I could see this being great fun and very strategically important in freestyle games.

I can not see this rich in strategy.

Lets take this dummy game of "sampleopoly" I whipped up for this example. I think that there would be a great deal of use for this and have more than this idea in mind on how it would be used. I could see using a tech advancement scale to increase artillery etc.

Oneyed wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:* I would like to have a group of territories that represent the numbers 1 through 6.

you mean names of these regions would be "1", "2" and so on?

Yes ... like dice in my example above

Oneyed wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:* These territories would be coded as killer 1.

this is possible. you mean -1 each round, yes?

No ... not decay of -1 per turn ... but "killer" resetting to 1 every turn when held.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Aleena on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Like the idea of this sampleopoly...

Each turn each player has the chance to move up the dice scale.
All Blocks around the board has conditional borders based on how far up the dice change the player reached that turn..
For example if the player reached dice 3 and dice 4 then on any of this blocks below they all for that turn become connected to the 3rd block, 4th block and 7th block (ONLY) down the path from which ever block he currently controls...

Though I do not think the dice should be able to attack the board, nor do I think the board should be able to attack the dice... Both are completely separate from each other.. The silhouette paper dolls are the only area that can attack the dice, and they are all attacked only to the (two) dice that are valued 1 dot. - then from their they should attack dice 2 from 1 and dice 3 from 3 ect... until they run out of units or reach 6. Maybe even have these silhouette dolls receive auto-deploy of 3 each turn - plus what ever they player chooses to deploy on them instead of the board...

Think this is a cool idea... Would love to see it happen...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Oneyed on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:22 pm

now with draft it is much clear for me. and yes sounds good.
just it seems that "trench" set up is not possible here.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Oneyed wrote:now with draft it is much clear for me. and yes sounds good.
just it seems that "trench" set up is not possible here.
Oneyed

Actually with killer neutrals in trench you can keep attacking so you could attack as follows (player 1==>dice 3==>corner 1)

The map above is really just an example to illustrate my idea ... not a real map submission ... although now I am starting to consider it ;)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Return to Tools & Guides