Conquer Club

Map-Making Q&A

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map-Making Q&A

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun May 17, 2009 1:49 pm

OK, we have every map of the alphabet almost, I mean with vancouver coming out soon the V is now taken.

only maps with letters of the alphabet we do not have are:

we have no maps that start with the letters: J, Q, X, Y, Z

only 5, not bad, was just thinking if anyone has thought about filling those 5 holes with a map that starts with those letters? if we do, all 26 letters of the alphabet will be used, kool 8-)
General Blitzaholic

Postby MrBenn on Sun May 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:OK, we have every map of the alphabet almost, I mean with vancouver coming out soon the V is now taken.

only maps with letters of the alphabet we do not have are:

we have no maps that start with the letters: J, Q, X, Y, Z

only 5, not bad, was just thinking if anyone has thought about filling those 5 holes with a map that starts with those letters? if we do, all 26 letters of the alphabet will be used, kool 8-)

May I refer you to the following topic: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=37734
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Mattimies on Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 am

I'm not sure if this question is stupid, but... how is it possible to add backgrounds to a picture while keeping it a jpg file? I mean, always when I try to make a background for the map I'm making, it only saves it as pdn (or png not sure anymore) which can't be used as a map file here. If I change the file to jpg while saving, it just turns into a one-layered picture. But I've clearly seen many maps here with a background and I can't figure how they'd been done...
Corporal 1st Class Mattimies

Postby RjBeals on Mon May 18, 2009 10:34 am

Mattimies wrote:I'm not sure if this question is stupid, but... how is it possible to add backgrounds to a picture while keeping it a jpg file? I mean, always when I try to make a background for the map I'm making, it only saves it as pdn (or png not sure anymore) which can't be used as a map file here. If I change the file to jpg while saving, it just turns into a one-layered picture. But I've clearly seen many maps here with a background and I can't figure how they'd been done...

you need to understand layers. It's the key to making maps. Bottom layer is the background, top layer is the map.
Private RjBeals

Postby Mattimies on Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am

sorry if I didnt express myself clear enough: I know what layers are and how to use them, I just dont know how to save the file as jpg while keeping the background.

Postby bryguy on Mon May 18, 2009 10:49 am

Mattimies wrote:sorry if I didnt express myself clear enough: I know what layers are and how to use them, I just dont know how to save the file as jpg while keeping the background.

The wording of your question is confusing. Do you wish to know how to save it, yet still keep your file with layers separate? Saving it as a .jpg or .png causes all layers to be combined, but saving it as a .xcf or .psd keeps the layers separate. Is that what you wanted?
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am

Mattimies wrote:sorry if I didnt express myself clear enough: I know what layers are and how to use them, I just dont know how to save the file as jpg while keeping the background.

You can't. A jpg is a flattened image - no layers. What I do is work with a PSD file, then when I'm ready to post a draft I "save as" or "export" to a jpg.
Captain oaktown

Postby Mattimies on Mon May 18, 2009 12:11 pm

oaktown wrote:

You can't. A jpg is a flattened image - no layers. What I do is work with a PSD file, then when I'm ready to post a draft I "save as" or "export" to a jpg.

ok that's what I wanted to know, thanks guys

Autodeploy Question

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Autodeploy Question

If I start a territory neutral and give it autodeploy 3 will the neutral amount increase every turn by 3 or will it only deploy if controlled?

Thanx

--D
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Autodeploy Question

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:19 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Autodeploy Question

If I start a territory neutral and give it autodeploy 3 will the neutral amount increase every turn by 3 or will it only deploy if controlled?

Thanx

--D

No, only auto-deploy if a non-neutral player has it.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Re: Autodeploy Question

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:59 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Autodeploy Question

Thanx

--D

No, only auto-deploy if a non-neutral player has it.

Thanx =)
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

I need some GIMP help.

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:41 pm

:oops: So this is really simple but I can't figure out to have text curved. I tried to make the text then hit text along path, but this made it just like an outline of the text that I can't like move and isn't really there on any layer. How do I make text curved?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: I need some GIMP help.

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:55 pm

~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:20 pm

I am working on the Jamaica map xml and have a quick question.

We have a situation where there are 5 territories with resource A and 8 territories with resource B and we want to do a bonus based on holding 1 of each resource.

1 Resource A + 1 Resource B = +1 Bonus

My question is...

Is there an easy way to easily do this?

Or

Do I need to create a continent for every possibility?

Like This

show
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am

I think that you can include continents as well as territories inside the bonus tags... which would allow you to use the <required> and <override> tags to simplify things.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Bolero on Sun May 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Can you use Gimp for map making?

If so, how do you get it to be involved with the game or do people here do it for you?
Private Bolero

Postby natty dread on Sun May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

You can use any graphics software to create the images. You don't need to worry about anything else, if your map is good enough it will be easy to find someone to do the XML for you.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby smile0 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:19 am

Hi would like to make a map based on middle-erth would we have copyright problems????
Cook smile0

Location: well if im online then starign at a screen if not then i dont know

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 am

smile0 wrote:Hi would like to make a map based on middle-erth would we have copyright problems????

yes we would.

Re: Map Size

Postby NuclearMarathon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:25 am

I know that the limit dimensions of maps are "small: 630x600px" and "large 840x800px"...

But can you make a map that's wider but shorter, or taller but thinner than the limits?
ie: "small: 730x500px" "large: 970x670" ?

Also, would you even need a large-sized map if the small-sized one is adequate enough to see?
Last edited by NuclearMarathon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class NuclearMarathon

Postby RjBeals on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 am

sure. Those dimensions are just the maximum.
Private RjBeals

Re: Map Size

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 am

NuclearMarathon wrote:I know that the limit dimensions of maps are "small: 630x600px" and "large 840x800px"...

But can you make a map that's wider but shorter, or taller but thinner than the limits?
ie: "small: 730x500px" "large: 970x670" ?

No, doesn't work that way, sadly.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby NuclearMarathon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 am

RjBeals wrote:sure. Those dimensions are just the maximum.

Evil DIMwit wrote:No, doesn't work that way, sadly.

So which one of you is right? And can you explain what the reason is why I can/cannot make a map that skews the limits?
Private 1st Class NuclearMarathon

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:57 am

Evil is right. You cannot make a map like that because of the size limit rule. 840 is the maximum width for large maps. 800 is the maximum height of the large map. As long as you keep within those boundaries, the proportions of your map can be whatever you like, though.

That is to say:

840x500 is okay
500x800 is okay
900x500 is not okay
500x900 is not okay

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides