Map-Making Q&A

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map-Making Q&A

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:56 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:quick question.. is it easier to make portions of a map from scratch (blank white page) or take a high resolution digital photo of something you want and insert it and begin from that point?

That really depends on what you're drawing. If you've got a map you want to make digital, I recommend that you import the photograph and then trace new, clean lines over it.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:00 pm

roger... that is what ive decided to try today. Its coming along. I love working with my hands so I kicked around doing this in sculpture clay (everything but the outside and the ants) and then photoing it. its coming along though. thanx for the quick answer
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:roger... that is what ive decided to try today. Its coming along. I love working with my hands so I kicked around doing this in sculpture clay (everything but the outside and the ants) and then photoing it. its coming along though. thanx for the quick answer

I don't know what your idea is, but that portion that I put in bold has me intrigued.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Conquer Club Public Referance XML API

Postby WTell on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Looking through the forums and postings here has spiked my interested but the coder in me is a bit piqued. I see a lot of focus on graphics and gameplay but little emphasis other than the cursory once over of your XML API. I have looked through the posts for what I could find, and have found several postings and re-postings of the basic XML tutorial. However, I have been wondering if there is a complete listing of the tags recognized by your XML parser, and if so, if there would be any way to publicly access it in a user-friendly version (I am picturing here SUN's Java API index).

If, as I suspect, a complete listing of all recognized tags is included within the basic tutorial, I would like to suggest a project be started to create one (if a reference does not already exist). Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Corporal 1st Class WTell

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Re: Conquer Club Public Referance XML API

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:29 am

Yes the XML tutorial is a complete list.

No one really needs to know XML anymore though, when we have XML Wizards and all that. And if you're a programmer and need the info to make your own application then you can just read the tuts for the XML.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 am

Because of my lifestyle I only own laptops. While doing my map, I found that laptops suck with graphics programs. I ordered and will recieve today a laptop with a quad core. Was wondering if you guys have any experience with one of these?. It should run any graphics-art program I want to put on it right? I upgraded to a nice (for a laptop) graphics card. Im hoping this will work.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 am

I'd say the #1 criteria would be screen size. I did my first map on a laptop with a 15" screen with 1024x768 resolution and it was agony... well, compared to how neat it is to work with the 19" I have now.

I'd say, for proper graphics work, you should look into getting one with at least a 17" screen (or the widescreen equivalent of 17")

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 am

it is 17 inch point something.. I will use a hdmi cable to put it on my tele screen though, with the graphics card i think I can get the resolution where I fit a lot on the sceen... this is where I was getting the slowups on my other laptops. Trying to get the resolution high enough so I did not have to scroll around constantly. That and the paint.net and gimp program jsut was too much.

edit
----
answer: Yes. It has some Horsepower... It is running damn hot atm though, will probabaly have to get a cooling base, but yes time to start back up on el mapa
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi, I'm new to this place but have immediately become intrigued with the Map Foundry and want to possibly create some maps. Here's the software I work with:

-ArcMap 10
-Photoshop CS2/CS4 (depending on which computer I'm on)
-Illustrator CS2/CS4

I would use existing GIS datasets in ArcMap to create the base and then use the Adobe programs for final touch ups.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: GIMP: Text

Postby theBastard on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:31 pm

how can I rasterize font in GIMP? and I add Outer Glow to some text and they are shown in layer dialog as picture (not as text). what does this mean?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 pm

When you apply an effect on a text on gimp it will lose the text proprieties. But if you create a layer below to apply all the effects, then you'll not lose them. ;)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby theBastard on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

thanks. hm, so maybe I will must do all text again...? and how can I rasterize text? or text is rasterized after any effect is apply?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Magic Numbers

Postby The Bison King on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Where is the post that contains the magic starting numbers. I know it's around here but I never remember where specifically. I always end up having to lok and look and look each time I need to reference them. Right now I can't find them at all.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Magic Numbers

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:09 pm

gameplay workshop sticky thread

Re: Magic Numbers

Postby The Bison King on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Thank you!

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 am

text is rasterized after any effect is apply?

Yes. Also you can create an empty layer and merge the text layer with it.

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:18 am

Somebody (I can't remember who), gave me a great site to make maps free of charge. But then my computer had to be overhauled and I didn't keep the website. If anyone can pm me some great sites/programs that are free I'd appreciate that :mrgreen:

High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Medals: 128
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 am

ViperOverLord wrote:Somebody (I can't remember who), gave me a great site to make maps free of charge. But then my computer had to be overhauled and I didn't keep the website. If anyone can pm me some great sites/programs that are free I'd appreciate that :mrgreen:

What exactly are you asking for? Graphics software? GIMP is free and is adequate for all mapmaking purposes.

As for maps, you can find all the maps you need on google maps. Get the part you want, screenshot it, rotate/zoom/crop, then trace the borders in GIMP.

Postby ViperOverLord on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 am

natty_dread wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:Somebody (I can't remember who), gave me a great site to make maps free of charge. But then my computer had to be overhauled and I didn't keep the website. If anyone can pm me some great sites/programs that are free I'd appreciate that :mrgreen:

What exactly are you asking for? Graphics software? GIMP is free and is adequate for all mapmaking purposes.

As for maps, you can find all the maps you need on google maps. Get the part you want, screenshot it, rotate/zoom/crop, then trace the borders in GIMP.

Yea graphics. I'm not a great artist, but I can come up with solid concepts, so something that is geared towards creating graphics for starters. I'll look into GIMP.

High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Medals: 128
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby ISN2 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 pm

I just checked Feudal War XML file and got a question

http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Feudal_War.xml

There is no "positions" used, so how when game starts, there is only 6 territory that players start there. Is it because of that all other territories have "neutral" tag except those 6?

And if answer is yes, why when 2 player start the game, only 4 of 6 is used while 6 can be divided to 2 players too?
General ISN2

Medals: 63
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (10) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 pm

In 2 player games, the starting territories are divided to 3 players, but 1 of them is made neutral. This does not apply to starting positions.

Postby ender516 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 pm

ISN2 wrote:I just checked Feudal War XML file and got a question

http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Feudal_War.xml

There is no "positions" used, so how when game starts, there is only 6 territory that players start there. Is it because of that all other territories have "neutral" tag except those 6?

Right, the neutral tag means that the territory is not put in the pool to be divided among the players. (If it is also marked killer, then that territory will revert to its original neutral state with the original number of troops at the start of the turn of the play who holds it. It will not revert to the original number of troops if someone kills only part of the neutral troops but does not conquer it.)
ISN2 wrote:And if answer is yes, why when 2 player start the game, only 4 of 6 is used while 6 can be divided to 2 players too?

As natty said, a two player game is set up as if there was an imaginary third player whose troops are made neutral.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby ISN2 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 pm

natty_dread and ender516, thanks for your answers, I guess I can now figure it out.

Is there any other guide except this one (viewtopic.php?f=466&t=23382) for XMLs? that only explains the codes and their effect, but I want to know all detailed information like question I asked if there is any, more important thing is how game engine parses the XMLs and what are default things such as the divide of territories to 3 on a 2 player map?
General ISN2

Medals: 63
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (10) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)

Postby ender516 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

There are many references online about XML in general (GIYF, Google is your friend), but since ConquerClub's parser is simplistic, you cannot use neat little tricks like entities to organize your map XML. To be honest, I don't know where things like the answer to your question are written down. I have learned them here and there in the Map Foundry. The good thing is, if you have a question, you already know how to get the answer: ask in here. There are lots of people who are more than happy to show off their knowledge. (It gives us a warm feeling to be helpful :D and a little buzz of superiority 8-) , which of course dissipates when we realize that we are giving away our secrets.... :? :ugeek: :-s :lol: )

Some advice, please

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 am

Okay, so I've finally made the first steps in my Toronto map. ( :lol: , drew the outline of the outer perimeter and the bonus zones)

I'm going to draw all the bonus zones and territories in Inkscape, and then import into Gimp to add colours and textures. I know, it's probably a bad idea in general to work in two different editors, but I'm just a lot more familiar with editing paths with Inkscape so this is where I have to start. I tried before to do paths in Gimp and it defeated me.

So anyway, some advice, if anyone has some. Do I need to make every territory a separate object, or can I just import a complete spiderwork? I know the bonus zone layer and the territory layer need to be separate, but can the complete territory boundary spiderwork be all one for the whole map, or does it need to be seperate for each bonus zone? And finally, can I stroke the paths in Inkscape before importing, or should I just leave them unstroked for now?
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 133
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides