Map-Making Q&A

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

XML QUESTION

Postby magneticgoop on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:19 pm

is it possible to have a map that has natural disasters? like -5 armies every third turn due to hurricane on certain territories? or +2 every other turn due to good farming.
Fool me once, strike one. Fool me twice, strike...three.Image
Cook magneticgoop

Location: Screaming at the TV as Norv Turner turns the chargers into the worst team in the NFL =(

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Not currently. With current xml, armies can only be added and subtracted each and every turn or not at all.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 am

Here is a PSD file that shows one way to make mountains. It is basically a layered approach. Each layer is made by applying and layering small amounts of color to a layer (pick a textured brush with 25%-40% opacity and flow) then the layer has a bevel and texture applied to it via Blending options.

You can open the PSD file and turn off the layer styles. That will show you what each layer looks like and how to better make the mountains.

Have fun

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... ntains.psd
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:39 pm

ok..so i want to try making a map.
And I am sorry to say that many of the programs are not straight forward.

I tried something with Adobe Photoshop...and got lost when at a painted field I get the next error "could not use xx(pencil or stamp or so) because the content of the layer is not directly editable" on a new second layer.
But the brush and lasso worked. I click on the eye and the lock of the layers on the righthandside. But after many clicks on/off also that got blocked.
And no help from the help file. What the f?:evil:

Then spent many hours on Inkscape (layers work fine) but there I miss the possibility to give a free airbrush stroke on areas (How do I get irregular sea or field effects on otherwise egalitarean coloured sea/landmasses ?).
And how do I import a different textfont than what is standard available(and where are they freely available ) ? :?

And then GIMP. Downloaded the stuff. But it won't install on WinXP (or is it a Linux program?). ](*,)

(edit: that was from a TU Twente mirror with different GIMP versions and per version different pieces to be assembled.. I now found a single installation file somewhere else).
Major lt_oddball

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 pm

--
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Program

Postby Koronna on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Hey, I've made draft of a periodic Table Map using MS paint. I was wondering if anyoen could suggest a free graphic program that I could possiblely use to make my map? Some program you can download off the internet and is user friendly? thanks a lot guys i'm new to map making and I need your help to make this map come true. Again, any program that you suggest?
Private 1st Class Koronna

Re: Program

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:59 pm

Koronna wrote:Hey, I've made draft of a periodic Table Map using MS paint. I was wondering if anyoen could suggest a free graphic program that I could possiblely use to make my map? Some program you can download off the internet and is user friendly? thanks a lot guys i'm new to map making and I need your help to make this map come true. Again, any program that you suggest?

gimp and inkscape are free

fireworks and photoshop each have 30 day trial periods.

i personally recommend fireworks 8 or photoshop cs3.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby lt_oddball on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:06 am

Past days were busy..but now I have more free time at hand , and I want to give another shot into mapmaking.

I need your advice on tackling the following problems:

1) I want to create a new Pattern (grassfield landscape from a photo but coulered a bit) which I must import in a drawing program so that after I have drawn the boundary of an area , I am able to fill it up (you know the tilted paint can) with this self created pattern.

I'd prefer to work with Inkscape (so easy & straightforward) ... but I can't seem to change the standard fill colours...and there are no patterns (like in photoshop).
EDIT: FOUND THE TOOL IN INKSCAPE ITSELF: SOLVED

2) I want to take/select an object from a photo (a bridge). Isolate it and be able to edit it (add colour or lines, turn , twist, stretch it). and then be able to place it in a map (in Inkscape).
The magic Wand of photoshop is erratic as it never gets the precise bridge (with all the pilons).
EDIT: ALSO FOUND OUT ABOUT IT

3) I want to use different Fonts than standard. I have found a website with lovely fonts. How do I import a *.ttf file in Inkscape ?

Ok.. so much for now.

PS I have the ancient photoshop 7... :roll:
Major lt_oddball

Postby DiM on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 am

lt_oddball wrote:3) I want to use different Fonts than standard. I have found a website with lovely fonts. How do I import a *.ttf file in Inkscape ?

just copy the ttf file in c:/windows/fonts
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 am

DiM wrote:
lt_oddball wrote:3) I want to use different Fonts than standard. I have found a website with lovely fonts. How do I import a *.ttf file in Inkscape ?

that's what I thought, but I get this strange windows error message like "font already in use..cannot paste here".
And I have closed the Word application..so I have no idea what is troubling it.
Will try again at new PC start up.
Major lt_oddball

Postby DiM on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:05 am

lt_oddball wrote:
DiM wrote:

that's what I thought, but I get this strange windows error message like "font already in use..cannot paste here".
And I have closed the Word application..so I have no idea what is troubling it.
Will try again at new PC start up.

strange. try closing any open applications and then copy it.
or better yet. close all applications restart then copy to avoid the font remaining hanged on an app.
Major DiM

Text

Postby Koronna on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:27 pm

hey, I'm right now using a combination of GIMP and Inkscape for my map, bascially INkscape for the text and GIMP for graphics. However, I find a problem with converting files smoothly from one to the other. I use Inkscape for text only for it's capbility to allow me to edit the fonts, colours, and sizes of the text, and yet that only works for INkscape's .svg files I think. I'll need to do some editing on GIMP with my map soon (which is currently in Inkscape) and I'm afraid that once I export the file I can't go back to edit the text in Inkscape later. How can I solve this problem? And how do you other map makers edit your text without having to rewrite them?

Postby Koronna on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 pm

hey, I'm right now using a combination of GIMP and Inkscape for my map, bascially INkscape for the text and GIMP for graphics. However, I find a problem with converting files smoothly from one to the other. I use Inkscape for text only for it's capbility to allow me to edit the fonts, colours, and sizes of the text, and yet that only works for INkscape's .svg files I think. I'll need to do some editing on GIMP with my map soon (which is currently in Inkscape) and I'm afraid that once I export the file I can't go back to edit the text in Inkscape later. How can I solve this problem? And how do you other map makers edit your text without having to rewrite them?

Postby gimil on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:30 pm

save the file as a layered document, or a large file document i think its also called. This keeps the layer setting but without the need to open it wih only one graphic software

P.S. this should be moved to maps TTT
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:32 pm

Get adobe creative suite, it has illustrator and photoshop. and photoshop is keen on doing everything you need for maps.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides