Map-Making Q&A

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 am

FirefoxRocks wrote:Yes, that would be extremely helpful if I knew how to get the selection to be selected after I release the mouse button.

I already tried using that, but it won't stay selected.


what do you mean it doesn't stay selected?

it's the "ellipse select tool"
so while you have the "ellipse select tool" on your mouse pointer.

hold Shift and then click the LMB somewhere on the canvas and drag it around to create a circle. then let go and the circle should stay selected.

other than this i don't know what to say.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Hi

Postby UnderSeage on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:19 am

Hi there guys! Im thinking of making a map very soon. It will be my first one. Does it have to be a country oriented map? My idea is a prison with cells and hallways and gas chambers etc. lol Is this a good idea or should I keep thinking? Let me know ;)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class UnderSeage
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Florida
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Hi

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 am

UnderSeage wrote:Hi there guys! Im thinking of making a map very soon. It will be my first one. Does it have to be a country oriented map? My idea is a prison with cells and hallways and gas chambers etc. lol Is this a good idea or should I keep thinking? Let me know ;)


unfortunatly buddt there is already a prison map in production.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 14&start=0

but to answer your 1st question you can make a map themed on anything as long as the current XML can accomodate what your idea is.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

thanks

Postby UnderSeage on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:04 am

sweet thanks[/quote]
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class UnderSeage
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Florida
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:19 pm

i get that the territory coordinates is a list of the X and Y coordinates (in pixels) where the armies should be printed on the small and large maps, but how do i find them with Photoshop? or is there something easier to use?
User avatar
Major Tisha
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:41 am
Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:27 pm

Tisha wrote:i get that the territory coordinates is a list of the X and Y coordinates (in pixels) where the armies should be printed on the small and large maps, but how do i find them with Photoshop? or is there something easier to use?


If your looking to the acctually coordinates, i dont have a clue where to find tem in photoshop, but in the map tools thread there is a downlaod that lets you generate teh codes by clicking on the screen.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1085
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Gnome on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Tutorial:
hey gnome, how do u get the pictures into the background anyways???

This tutorial is for Photoshop (I made it in Adobe photoshop cs2)

1) make a new layer (I made it 300x300 for the example)

2)choose a background colour...I took (0d1d4b)
Image

3) take a picture you want to add in the background (Im going for a boat in the see) Just put the picture on top of everything
Image

4)now go in the picture<adjust menu (I think it's called that way)
Image

5)this is what it should look like now
Image

6)now put the layer on 50%
Image

7)should look like this
Image

8)now take this tool (don't know name in English)
Image

9)take it on 87px or something that suites you and start to move it around...
this is my final result on it but it works on all kind of stuf...
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Belgium
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Coleman on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Thanks for that Gnome, I may need to do something like that for the Bracket Map I'm working on.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
User avatar
Sergeant Coleman
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Midwest
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 pm

oh your using photoshop, rats, im using inkscape >_<
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Wisse on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:57 am

gnome the "natte vinger" tool is called smudge tool in english
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Gnome on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 am

Wisse wrote:gnome the "natte vinger" tool is called smudge tool in english


thx :wink: I had no time to look it up...(to lazy :roll: )
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Belgium
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby bryguy on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:21 am

lol
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 pm

yea i most likely will have to switch to adobe, cause i upgraded my mac from panther to leopard, and in the upgrade i lost X11, which is needed for inkscape to work
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Inkscape how to save from *.svg to *.jpg

Postby lt_oddball on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:27 am

I really having trouble with something that should be so simple.

After spent many hours on a map in inkscape that saves under *.svg, I want to save a copy in .jpg format for displaying purposes.

But the formats to save ("export") it under is everything except jpg or any other familiar reduced format.
The only thing I'd recognize is *.bitmap ..but doing that means the program freezes/crashes.

Opening the *.svg with Gimp makes the self fabricated patterns disappear, so that is no use either.

The only thing that works but with flaws is making a screenshot with SnagIt.
But it shouldn't be going like that.

So who can tell me more about Inkscape in this (websearches give me no answers). :(
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
User avatar
Major lt_oddball
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Fortress Europe
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Inkscape how to save from *.svg to *.jpg

Postby DiM on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:32 am

lt_oddball wrote:I really having trouble with something that should be so simple.

After spent many hours on a map in inkscape that saves under *.svg, I want to save a copy in .jpg format for displaying purposes.

But the formats to save ("export") it under is everything except jpg or any other familiar reduced format.
The only thing I'd recognize is *.bitmap ..but doing that means the program freezes/crashes.

Opening the *.svg with Gimp makes the self fabricated patterns disappear, so that is no use either.

The only thing that works but with flaws is making a screenshot with SnagIt.
But it shouldn't be going like that.

So who can tell me more about Inkscape in this (websearches give me no answers). :(



i used inkscape a long long time a go and from what i remember it can save png. so do that save as png instead of jpg.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login