Add grunge to bring maps to life

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Tutorial: Add grunge to bring maps to life

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow. All this time I've thought "grunge" was some kind of advanced PS effect... :oops: now I realize I can do them myself! Thanks Beals! =D>
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 pm

I have used grunge textures for many things and i have liked the way they turned out, but I have a hard time finding good grunge textures that work well on maps.
Does anyone have any good sites besides deviant art (which sometimes gives you viruses, btw) or just Google?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 pm

I googled "grunge texture" in google image search and found several good ones (i think).

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

One of the main problems is size.
The second two are both too small for a large map.
~ CaptainWalrus

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:38 pm

You can increase the size to 4x by tiling 4 mirror images in a "circle"... like this:

Original ------ Flipped horizontal
|
|
|
Flipped vert.------Flipped horiz. & vert.

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 am

natty_dread wrote:You can increase the size to 4x by tiling 4 mirror images in a "circle"... like this:

Original ------ Flipped horizontal
|
|
|
Flipped vert.------Flipped horiz. & vert.

Are you sure? I have tried similar things, and it often doesn't look good. A lot of Grunge textures are darker around the edges, and so they can't really be grouped together and look like one piece.
~ CaptainWalrus

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 am

In that case you only select a part of the grunge texture, so that the darker outer edge doesn't go in the middle.

In the case of my example, where the original is in the top left corner, you select a part of the texture that leaves out the right and bottom edges.

here example

Click image to enlarge.

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 pm

No offense, but I would never use that in a map, unless I am going to have it at less than 20% opacity. It doesn't look natural
~ CaptainWalrus

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 am

captainwalrus wrote:No offense, but I would never use that in a map, unless I am going to have it at less than 20% opacity. It doesn't look natural

That's just an example. It's just to show that the process is feasible, if you pay a little more attention to the details than I did with this one...

Of course you can also make your own grunge textures. Take a digital camera and take a photo of any surface that looks interesting... then play with the HSV settings, possibly invert colours if it's too light or dark, and there you go... I'm going to try it today.

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:38 am

OK here my first attempt at making my own grunge texture:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm

That is pretty nice. How did you do it? Most of the time I get mine from pictures I take. There are a lot of grungy things out there (sidewalks, rust, rocks, etc) and if you have a nice camera you can get them to transfer pretty well.
~ CaptainWalrus

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 pm

captainwalrus wrote:That is pretty nice. How did you do it? Most of the time I get mine from pictures I take. There are a lot of grungy things out there (sidewalks, rust, rocks, etc) and if you have a nice camera you can get them to transfer pretty well.

Took a picture of my kitchen floor :D

Actually I think this would look better if it was shrunk down by 2x or so.

Re: Add grunge to bring maps to life

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 am

The images here would be nice :(
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:53 am

sorry Bruce. Those were hosted on my old domain, which i let lapse and is not mine anymore. I may have a backup, i'll check
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am

sweet :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Tools & Guides