[Tutorial] How to draw mountains (Photoshop)

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Tutorial] How to draw mountains (Photoshop)

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:00 pm

This tutorial is not what I intended - but I'll post it anyway. These mountains sort of came
out abstract and sort of water-color painting style. But I'll post my screenshots and psd
anyway. I just sort of created these as I went.

I started with a background layer. I added a new layer and drew a curved line.

I duplicated that layer, then flipped horizontal, then positioned to make the mountain.

Then I duplicated that layer 9 times, and positioned those mountains so...

Then I added a few smaller mountains.

Then I adjusted the background colors so they were not a hard edge.
Normally a map wouldn't have a hard diagonal line for a border. Also, I didn't add the actual
border along the colors. I forgot, so it looks a little strange with the mountain borders.

So here I took a 4 or 5 pixel brush and just painted black along the sides of the mountains.
I was being a little quick with my strokes so it would look a little natural. I actually like them
at this point. It looks like a pen and ink style map. Maybe in the Japanese tradition. (New Layer)
And.. looking back, I didn't need to adjust those backgrounds pattern, cause the black covered them anyway.

But instead I added a color to that layer. A brownish color, which is meant to blend into the
color scheme of those 2 map background colors.

I also did something similar to add highlights. This is another new layer. I dropped the opacity also.

Okay here's where things take a turn. I didn't like the hard borders so I hid the border layer.
The mountains looked okay without. But I wanted them to blend into the map more, so I used
the smudge tool. I just smudged all the edges down to give the effect you see below.
I also added another black shadow layer, which was just a thick brush along the shadow side
of the mountains, lots of gaussian blur, blend as overlay, and opacity real low - like 10 or 20.

Of course, to give it something special I added the grungy overlay to the whole thing.
I'm noticing that many of the newer maps in production have this effect, and they are
looking A+! Anyway - here's what I came up with. Not necessarily great for CC maps, but kind
of cool nevertheless.

Here's the file (zipped PSD CS3): http://www.rjbeals.com/files/mount-rjb.zip
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Abstract Mountains.

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm

awesome, as usual
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Very, very cool!
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 pm

I love both the finished product, but also that first ink style...:)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Ink style? I had nothing to do with this! ;)
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Ink style? I had nothing to do with this! ;)

LOL that got me laughing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

An excellent tutorial RJ! Ive really gotta try this sometime!
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 am

These look cool...

f*ck me these look awesome...

WOW...

Great job again RJ.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby sailorseal on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

To anyone who is making a sand landscape map I recommend these mountains
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am

sailorseal wrote:To anyone who is making a sand landscape map I recommend these mountains

lol yes I agree, but it could also probably be done with different colors, could it not?
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby mibi on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 pm

of course it helps to have RJ's skillz.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

In my opinion, lack should start paying rj so he will make more maps.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 pm

RjBeals wrote:Image

...grunge always makes things look better.
I'll have to try that more.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm

mibi wrote:of course it helps to have RJ's skillz.

lol I dont have RJ's skillz, yet (with slight tweaking) I can manage to make these in GIMP :)

Edit: Heres my attempt (my best at least :lol: ):
Corporal bryguy

Return to Tools & Guides