Conquer Club

The Five Elements - Shuffle [Winner: danryan]

Tournaments completed in 2010.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - All First Round Games Running

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Kinnison wrote:One more game complete... still not setting the final standings.

The Battle between WPBRJ (final score 167-172) and dragon dor (final score 167-192) continues...

wow, both of these guys have played really well in this tourney
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby Kinnison on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:37 am

Scores updated with the most recently finished game...

5 games running. 3 of them are deeply relevant to the tournament.

The last remaining challenge is between dragon dor and WPBRJ. dd's maximum score is well past what WPBRJ can achieve, but his minimum is tied with WPBRJ's minimum score. It all comes down to the finishing position of those two players in their remaining games...

Still pending, still being watched.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Kinnison wrote:Scores updated with the most recently finished game...

5 games running. 3 of them are deeply relevant to the tournament.

The last remaining challenge is between dragon dor and WPBRJ. dd's maximum score is well past what WPBRJ can achieve, but his minimum is tied with WPBRJ's minimum score. It all comes down to the finishing position of those two players in their remaining games...

Still pending, still being watched.

What happens if they tie? Maybe they can start the tiebreaker game just in case. That way, if WBPRL wins, this can continue, but if Dragon dor wins then the ongoing games will become irrelevant and we can start the finals???
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby Kinnison on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 am

YE. FLIPPING. GODS. (apologies to userfriendly.org)

Okay, I had NOT expected that to take nearly that long, but the preliminary round is complete... well, complete enough we know who will advance now.

With WPBRJ's elimination, and dragon dor taking second in one of his remaining games, dd's MINIMUM possible final score has officially passed WPBRJ's ACTUAL score. If dragon were to deadbeat the final two games, he would have enough points to win the division.

Congratulations to both dragon dor and WPBRJ for a scoring battle that exceeded my wildest expectations by a factor of 2. At least. ;)

I will spend the next few days confirming with the division winners their settings for the finals. The finals will begin on either Wednesday or Thursday of the upcoming week (Nov 18 or 19). The schedule will remain with starting games over 5 weeks, which should have them all STARTED before the winter holidays actually arrive.

Best of Luck to our finalists:
Culs De Sac
musterIuz
wolfpack0530
danryan
dragon dor
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Finals Have Begun

Postby Kinnison on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:15 am

And the finals have officially begun.

Good luck, everyone. Excel sheet at the google docs link has the schedule for all 5 weeks. danryan has home field for the 5-man game this week, which also makes him odd man out with only 7 games to play, 3 home field. everyone else should have 8, 2 on home settings.

Let me know if there's any problems.
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby wolfpack0530 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 pm

home win

Game 5958750
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby Culs De Sac on Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:12 am

Game 5958748

upset # 1 for Culs

dragon dor in 2nd

and Wolfpack 3rd

woop woop
Major Culs De Sac

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Finals w3 sent

Postby Kinnison on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Finals are still running, and watching them go brings home one thing I saw in the preliminary round... by cutting the number of 5-player games to the minimum, the scoring for them had to rise unacceptably to keep the game category (3 player vs 4 player vs 5 player) weighted about evenly.

Or, more simply: the 5-player games are worth too much, the "swing factor" of winning one is unreasonably large. Next time I try this, I'll have to double the number of them again, thereby halving the individual scoring for each game.

*makes notes*
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Finals w4 sent

Postby Kinnison on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:35 am

I am deeply sorry for the delay in the R5 games going out... holiday stuff around here... they'll be out, with a score update, within 24 hours.
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Finals - all games running

Postby danryan on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Dan wins Game 6088084
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Finals - all games running

Postby Kinnison on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:01 am

On 3 January 0700GMT, danryan was confirmed with a minimum final score of 154. With the next possible MAXIMUM score then computing at 147, it is my pleasure to declare danryan the WINNER of *****The Five Elements - Shuffle*****

Congratulations to danryan, and to everyone who competed. I had fun running this (and playing, while I was outclassed by many in the tournament). The next installment won't be until AT LEAST the Middle of February 2010, possibly much later, as I need to do some more work on the concept...

I WILL continue to update game results and scores as they come in, but only about once a week. Someday, we might finish those final 3 preliminary round games. ;)
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Five Elements Shuffle(5ES) - Winner - DANRYAN

Postby YoursFalsey on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:11 am

Congratz to Danryan! Whoo-hoo!

(And thank you Kinnison for a tournement that exposed me to a great variety of maps I had not played before. You did a fine job running this tourney. Way to go!)
Good Omens: Round II of the Pratchett Invitational has begun
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=101870
which is a good omen that I'll start another tourney...
Coming soon: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, the nuclear tourney...
Private YoursFalsey

Postby musteriuz on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 am

Yes, danryan, you truly outplayed us all in the finals. Congratulations to a worthy winner. And Kinnison, if you ever see it fit to host another one of these tourneys, please make sure you invite me - I can't wait to play this format again. This was my favourite tourney ever played in thus far.
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Postby danryan on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:15 pm

musteriuz wrote:Yes, danryan, you truly outplayed us all in the finals. Congratulations to a worthy winner. And Kinnison, if you ever see it fit to host another one of these tourneys, please make sure you invite me - I can't wait to play this format again. This was my favourite tourney ever played in thus far.

Wow. I really don't know how I won this as I felt like I was behind in many of the games. I want to thank all the finalists, we had a really good series of battles (flat rate age of merchants is not my cuppa, that's fer sure!). Thanks Kinnison for running this massive tournament!
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby musteriuz on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Musteriuz won Game 6088076.

Re: *^The Five Elements - Shuffle [Winner: danryan]

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments... I'm currently debating possibilities for the future of this tournament type/franchise.

1: repeat, doubling the number of 5-player games. (60 games per round, 44 per player)
2: run the 5x5 grid, drop the 3 player games, double the 5 player games (30 games per round, 26 per player)
3: modify to a 6x6 setup. run 5 and 6 player games only (48 games per round, 43 per player)
4: the monster: 6x6 setup, run 4-, 5- and 6-player games. (96 games per round, 83 per player)

I love the thought of the last, but I don't see it as being practical. Cabin fever would set in HORRIBLY, and blood would be spilled. ;) Any of the others seems to be a reasonable possibility, and they can be played 'straight' or 'shuffle' for the elimination round.

Speaking of the "Shuffle", what did everyone think of THAT FEATURE specifically? Advancing past the first round by comparing your score not to those you PLAYED, but against a group (that you never played) that played the same folks as you?

Good?
Bad?
Bizarre?
...You played it, and you still don't know what I'm talking about? :)
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: The Five Elements - Shuffle [Winner: danryan]

Postby Kinnison on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Hallelujah.

I don't know if anyone has been following this, but I found my long-lost, long-suffering thumb drive, and managed to close out all games and scores for this. All Posts on the first page are current and FINAL, and the excel sheet on google docs is as well.

Thank you all for playing. I'm still trying to decide what to do with this format, or waiting for inspiration to strike for some new idea.

Whatever I run, it's not likely to be until June, right now. Hope everyone's still having fun in whatever games or tournaments you're in.
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: The Five Elements - Shuffle [Winner: danryan]

Postby musteriuz on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 am

No one answered your "shuffle" question. I personally thought it was an interesting idea.

Previous

Return to Completed 2010